Brown likes diversity in crew of RBs

NUance

Steven M. Sipple: Brown likes diversity in crew of RBs

11 hours ago • By Steven M. Sipple

<snip>

"Then you want do-it-all guys like Rex (Burkhead)," Brown said. Yeah, never hurts to have an All-Big Ten player. In summary, Brown's wish list: Big backs. Fast backs. Do-it-all backs.

Brown's world seems to be getting pretty close to perfect. The 5-11, 185-pound Heard and Abdullah supply breakaway speed. Burkhead, a 5-11, 210-pound senior, supplies pretty much everything, though he will look for more long runs this season.

Nebraska could benefit greatly from a dimension it lacked a year ago: The big back. The power back. Think Dan Alexander (6-0, 245). Or Dahrran Diedrick (6-0, 225). Or even Lawrence Phillips (6-0, 215) late in his Husker career. Husker head coach Bo Pelini on Tuesday mentioned Imani Cross, a 6-1, 225-pound true freshman, among newcomers who could play this season. Cross represents a shift in Nebraska's recruiting philosophy at running back, necessitated by the school's move last season to the Big Ten, which possesses more brute strength and fewer open spaces than what the Huskers encountered in the Big 12.

LINK

Kool-Aid article from Sip. But we do have a pretty good stable of RBs right now. Question is, do we have enough roadgraders to clear the way?

I'm not sure this will be the year for those younger backs. As long as Rex stays healthy and is in the discussion for the Heisman, I expect Rex will get most the carries like last year, with Ameer, Heard, Imani, Marrow in just long enough to let Rex catch his breath (which doesn't take long)

They are probably ready to go, but I doubt we get a good look. (any other back getting 15+ carries in a game)

I'm not sure this will be the year for those younger backs. As long as Rex stays healthy and is in the discussion for the Heisman, I expect Rex will get most the carries like last year, with Ameer, Heard, Imani, Marrow in just long enough to let Rex catch his breath (which doesn't take long)

They are probably ready to go, but I doubt we get a good look. (any other back getting 15+ carries in a game)

I think you're right, that's how it will play out. But I'd rather see our younger guys get more reps in the non-conf games. Keep Rex from getting too beat up before we head into the conf sched. But I doubt this happens.

I think you're right, that's how it will play out. But I'd rather see our younger guys get more reps in the non-conf games. Keep Rex from getting too beat up before we head into the conf sched. But I doubt this happens.

I actually think we are gonna try and keep Rex on a carry count. Maybe around 20-25 a game. An if TM is a vastly improved passer, that should cut his carries down to around 10. And there could be another 20- 25 carries left to spread out based on 80 offensive plays that our staff would like to reach per game.

Hopefully we build nice leads and can use all our backups in the fourth quarters!

I actually think we are gonna try and keep Rex on a carry count. Maybe around 20-25 a game. An if TM is a vastly improved passer, that should cut his carries down to around 10. And there could be another 20- 25 carries left to spread out based on 80 offensive plays that our staff would like to reach per game.

Hopefully we build nice leads and can use all our backups in the fourth quarters!

won't even be close. Oregon was at 72 last year. I think Oklahoma was highest with maybe 76. I'd say 70 would be a high target.

25 pass attempts

13 martinez carries (including sacks).

22 burkhead carries.

realistically leaves about 15-20 for Kenney Bell/Turner around the end, another back, or our 3-4 center-qb exchange fumbles per game.

<snip>

"Then you want do-it-all guys like Rex (Burkhead)," Brown said. Yeah, never hurts to have an All-Big Ten player. In summary, Brown's wish list: Big backs. Fast backs. Do-it-all backs.

Brown's world seems to be getting pretty close to perfect. The 5-11, 185-pound Heard and Abdullah supply breakaway speed. Burkhead, a 5-11, 210-pound senior, supplies pretty much everything, though he will look for more long runs this season.

Nebraska could benefit greatly from a dimension it lacked a year ago: The big back. The power back. Think Dan Alexander (6-0, 245). Or Dahrran Diedrick (6-0, 225). Or even Lawrence Phillips (6-0, 215) late in his Husker career. Husker head coach Bo Pelini on Tuesday mentioned Imani Cross, a 6-1, 225-pound true freshman, among newcomers who could play this season. Cross represents a shift in Nebraska's recruiting philosophy at running back, necessitated by the school's move last season to the Big Ten, which possesses more brute strength and fewer open spaces than what the Huskers encountered in the Big 12.

LINK

Kool-Aid article from Sip. But we do have a pretty good stable of RBs right now. Question is, do we have enough roadgraders to clear the way?

It always comes down to blocking. If you don't have blocking, it really does not matter how many stars those RBs have behind their names. It is as simple as that. Now, enter Barney Cotton! The rest you know.

• Fire 1

won't even be close. Oregon was at 72 last year. I think Oklahoma was highest with maybe 76. I'd say 70 would be a high target.

25 pass attempts

13 martinez carries (including sacks).

22 burkhead carries.

realistically leaves about 15-20 for Kenney Bell/Turner around the end, another back, or our 3-4 center-qb exchange fumbles per game.

Geeesh Chris......3 or 4 center-qb fumbles a game?

<snip>

LINK

It always comes down to blocking. If you don't have blocking, it really does not matter how many stars those RBs have behind their names. It is as simple as that. Now, enter Barney Cotton! The rest you know.

THIS^^^^^^

If we can't CONSISTENTLY block and avoid drive killing penalties it will not matter if Martinez now has the poise of Manning or Rex, AA, Cross etc are all capable of getting 1000 yrds each and are receivers will catch. The line has shown moments of brilliance. Regardless of our unbalanced scheme last year, the fact every team knew we would run and the high number of rushes, the O line was capable of moving guys. It just wasn't every down, drive, quarter, half or game. They were all over the field.

I am not even asking for a TD every touch, but the simple ability to get short yards when needed. I cringed last year every time we were in 3rd and short.

Also read an article where, I think Martinez made the comment all the guys now know where to go referring to the O line. Maybe we were running around last year like chickens with their heads cut off.

We appear to have the horses this year in the backfield. I like having a "bigger" back as well. Late in the game a 225 Cross or 250lb Marrow starts to wear opposing guys down.