The Perceptions of Media Bias

I also think the OWH is too critical at times. They seem to concentrate on the negatives. I will have to say that Sam's hire is a saving grace for the OWH. I think the others cross the line too often. I think Da Huskers point about columnists (opinion pieces) and sports news reporter is a very good one. That's why I don't like ESPN and why the LJS is my favorite newspaper rather than the OWH as the LJS is a bit more positive.

I think teachercd's point is also a good one. In addition, The University probably isn't helping themselves with their relationship with local media. I think some of the local media gets upset when national outlets seem to have more information then local or get their information first from other sources. I can understand the local media's frustration there. The University could strengthen their partnership with the local media and that would be helpful. Access is a good place to start.

I maybe wrong but Coach Miles seems to embrace the media and is pretty open and as a result seems to get a lot of positive coverage. Now I know it's early but I think the football side of things should take note in how this turns out in the near future & over time.

To me the LJS comes off as sunshine pumpers most of the time. Sipple in particular goes out of his way to not say anything even remotely critical. Christopherson seems more balanced. I don't have any problem with the OWH writers. I think part of the hate at Chatterlain is he refuses to be a sunshine pumper.

People on the forums criticize everything, yet the many same people ripping the team will jump all over a writer who dares put the same thought in print.

I'm not in Nebraska so the only 'newspaper' coverage I see is on the internet. From what I read online, I am not impressed with the OWH. If I want to hear what Nebraska critics have to say, I'll log on to espn. When I log on to a Nebraska paper, I WANT to hear some home-town bias. I want to feel like I am hearing a journalistic take from a fellow husker fan. Hell, out here in California there are plenty of places I can go to hear about what's wrong with the huskers...I don't need that out of Nebraska.

So you would rather be lied too? I think the Journal Star, and OWH both do a fine job, and I appreciate the honesty/critique that the OWH offers it's readers. McKewon, Chatlein, Nawyata (?), and Shatel all do a fine job in my opinion.... A lot of Nebraska fans don't want to hear the truth, and I think that the OWH offers alot of harsh truth in their stories. Having said that, I do get annoyed with some of their opinions, but a lot of times its because I don't want to accept the "truth" or the perception of the "truth"....

Uhhh, I don't want to be lied to...but I don't want some d-bag sports writer trying to prove his objectivity by ripping Nebraska all the time. Like I said, living in Cali, I get plenty of criticism of Nebraska. I don't need it from the papers in Nebraska. But, I understand, it's like bad tv programing...if you don't like it, you just turn the channel. I just don't read the OWH. It pisses me off. I stick to the LJS. There is mild criticism, but I feel like they stand up for the program a little more.

Is it the responsibility of the local newspapers to support the program? I guess it is a matter of opinion, but I don't feel it is. I understand what you are saying. Sometimes it is frustrating to read what the OWH writes, but I feel that the frustration with what they write comes directly from the frustration we all have with the progress of the program. For the record, I enjoy the writers at LJS as well.\

I'm not in Nebraska so the only 'newspaper' coverage I see is on the internet. From what I read online, I am not impressed with the OWH. If I want to hear what Nebraska critics have to say, I'll log on to espn. When I log on to a Nebraska paper, I WANT to hear some home-town bias. I want to feel like I am hearing a journalistic take from a fellow husker fan. Hell, out here in California there are plenty of places I can go to hear about what's wrong with the huskers...I don't need that out of Nebraska.

So you would rather be lied too? I think the Journal Star, and OWH both do a fine job, and I appreciate the honesty/critique that the OWH offers it's readers. McKewon, Chatlein, Nawyata (?), and Shatel all do a fine job in my opinion.... A lot of Nebraska fans don't want to hear the truth, and I think that the OWH offers alot of harsh truth in their stories. Having said that, I do get annoyed with some of their opinions, but a lot of times its because I don't want to accept the "truth" or the perception of the "truth"....

Well sure if you accept that the only "truth" is in what they say.

That is why I put (" ") around truth.... I think most Nebraska fans have a hard time handling an opinion that is even the slightest critical of Nebraska football. I would imagine that Chatlein, and McKewon's opinions are well informed, and well thought out.... Most Nebraska fans want rainbow, and kitten reporting, or so it seems....

l.jpg

That's absolutely ridiculous.

The overwhelming majority of posts here on Huskerboard and Rivals, Scout, etc are wayyyyyy tilted on the negative slant. I bet the ratio of negative to positive posts regarding Bo & TO are both easily 10 to 1. Tmart & Barney probably close to 100 to 1. Some of our recent hires like Clownahan 1,000 to 1. Pedeyshine maybe 10,000 to 1.

Where in the world you dream up that these same ultra hard-core fans would only accept "kitten" reporting from their newspaper is beyond me. Also considering the usual casual fan really doesn't care what they say so the only ones that really count are totally the opposite of what you claim.

That negative slant on message boards is going to be reflected in local papers, because that negativity comes from the state of the program. The program is not in an ideal state, and it certainly doesn't sit in a position where it is acceptable amongst those in our fanbase, so as i was explaining to skersrule, you can't expect to not read some negativity from the local papers. No doubt the OWH is more critical then LJS, but I personally don't feel like they are way off base with their writings.

As far as the "rainbow & kittens" thing, I just feel that the frustration with the OWH comes from their critical style of writing. I feel that most (maybe some) fans like to read a positive take on the team, when lately there hasn't been as much positive as we are used to around here. Don't get me wrong the positive take on the team can be refreshing, but also misleading.

To me the LJS comes off as sunshine pumpers most of the time. Sipple in particular goes out of his way to not say anything even remotely critical. Christopherson seems more balanced. I don't have any problem with the OWH writers. I think part of the hate at Chatterlain is he refuses to be a sunshine pumper.

People on the forums criticize everything, yet the many same people ripping the team will jump all over a writer who dares put the same thought in print.

Pretty sure you didn't read the article.

Uhhh, I don't want to be lied to...but I don't want some d-bag sports writer trying to prove his objectivity by ripping Nebraska all the time. Like I said, living in Cali, I get plenty of criticism of Nebraska. I don't need it from the papers in Nebraska. But, I understand, it's like bad tv programing...if you don't like it, you just turn the channel. I just don't read the OWH. It pisses me off. I stick to the LJS. There is mild criticism, but I feel like they stand up for the program a little more.

Is it the responsibility of the local newspapers to support the program? I guess it is a matter of opinion, but I don't feel it is. I understand what you are saying. Sometimes it is frustrating to read what the OWH writes, but I feel that the frustration with what they write comes directly from the frustration we all have with the progress of the program. For the record, I enjoy the writers at LJS as well.\

I guess my problem is that I gave up a long time ago on expecting any truth in journalism. So when I see someone who tries to pretend that they are unbiased, I just assume there is some sort of agenda (color me cynical). So, since I don't expect the real 'truth' anyway, I would rather they just give me updates on what is going on, and what the expectations are, and interviews, etc. Their personal opinion based criticisms don't interest me. But, like I said above, I do like to hear the take you guys there in Nebraska have on the subject. Being close to the action most likely gives you a very different perspective. I don't have access to all Husker sports talk and daily print media that covers the program, etc. So what I get on a daily basis is on the net. It may be a double edge sword, but I still consider you guys pretty lucky.

I guess my problem is that I gave up a long time ago on expecting any truth in journalism. So when I see someone who tries to pretend that they are unbiased, I just assume there is some sort of agenda (color me cynical). So, since I don't expect the real 'truth' anyway, I would rather they just give me updates on what is going on, and what the expectations are, and interviews, etc. Their personal opinion based criticisms don't interest me. But, like I said above, I do like to hear the take you guys there in Nebraska have on the subject. Being close to the action most likely gives you a very different perspective. I don't have access to all Husker sports talk and daily print media that covers the program, etc. So what I get on a daily basis is on the net. It may be a double edge sword, but I still consider you guys pretty lucky.

I live outta state as well, so like you, I also envy all of the coverage that in state Husker fans get access too...

• Fire 1

I can't put the World Herald completely at fault for their antagonizing writing at times. This is Nebraska... Are they being antagonistic, or are we used to being mediocre? With that said, I'm not particularly a fan ofDirk Chatelain... The guy comes off like he has a right of passage to say what he wants about Nebraska football at any given time. I doubt he's played a down of football.

"doubt?" You're joking, right? The guy weighs a buck-o-nine sopping wet and would cry if somebody broke his pocket-protector.

Hell, out here in California there are plenty of places I can go to hear about what's wrong with the huskers...I don't need that out of Nebraska.

I'm in California as well, and have no idea what you're talking about.

Whether ESPN, Jim Rome or the Internet, Nebraska gets as good a shake as any other program in the sports media and better than most. You can fixate on Mark May if you want, but for the last 10 years the only proper way to cover Nebraska football is to acknowledge a proud tradition and a program attempting a return to prominence. Every year the sports media ranks the Huskers in the Top 20 preseason out of respect for the program (although they may just be lazy) and Husker fans complain we're not rated higher. Then the Huskers perform below expectation and the same fans seem to resent that the sports media reports this.

This is just the state of Husker football right now. The national media has been more fair and optimistic than most posters on this board. These guys are of the age to remember the Husker's mid-90s glory days. They want Nebraska to be relevant again. If they pick Michigan to beat Nebraska, it doesn't mean they hate Nebraska. It's just one of a hundred picks they have to make every week. When they catch a rival coach blowing up on the sideline, we don't see it as a vendetta. When they catch Bo Pelini, it's not a vendetta either. But it might be the story. When the SEC is top loaded and cranking out national champions, that's not necessarily pro-SEC bias, it's a simple fact.

If you're in California and you want to talk bias, you have a more legitimate case that the Pac 10 doesn't get its due because it's three hours behind the East Coast media deadline. And even then you'd still be whining.

Make news on the field and you'll always make the news.

• Fire 1

Exactly. They need to fix it.

I haven't read anything by Dirk since that Martinez hatchet piece last year, and I haven't felt like I've missed anything yet. I've conversed with him a few times on twitter, but overall, I'm just turned off by the angle of his writing. As a writer, I think he's good. I enjoyed reading his work, just not his angle.

I don't understand the Sam McKewon critiques I'm reading in this thread. Clearly there must be two Sam McKewons covering sports at the OWH, because the work from Sam I read is factual, well-written, timely, interesting and in general some of the best sports writing in this state. I'm not getting the criticisms. What am I missing?

I'm a big fan of Jon Nyatawa, too. Really like reading his stuff, and I budget my freebies from OWH to use on his articles, mostly. I just like his comfortable style and enjoy what he has to say - even his critiques of the programs (both football and baseball) are even-handed and fact-based. I'm not seeing a lot of rancor or animosity in Nyatawa's writing that I felt with Chatelain's.

I have nothing nice to say about the other major writers at the OWH, based on decades of reading their work. I just don't read them anymore. And I don't miss it one bit.

I think it's pretty well-known I'm a Sipple fan. Same with pretty much everyone at the LJS. I just don't read their stuff anymore because of the ridiculous charges LJS has going on. It's their new business model and I respect that - I just don't have to fork over any dough if I don't want to. There's a ton of info out there not sourced from LJS writers.