More option………?

Comish

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more conversation about this (maybe there has and I just missed it. If so, I apologize and somebody just delete this thread).

I’ve been hearing rumors we are planning on running some more true option and now the coaches are talking openly about it. And yes, I know the timing and reps are crucial, but it sounds as if they are devoting time every practice day to invest in that.

What gives this credibility to me is that for the first time in a long time, we have true skill sets at all three backfield positions. Tmart; Rex and the entourage; and Marrow. The key is Marrow who can take it the distance and is not just some change-of-pace thumper with a couple of trap options. That means the D is going to have to respect and account for the fullback not just as a lead blocker but as a true running threat.

If so, this offense is going to have a myriad of potentialities.

I would hope so. It seems we struggle when we lose or identity and conviction. I don't really care what we do as long as we commit.

with what could be the best wr corps in the Big Ten, maybe in the country, I hope not.

I'd definitely agree with the Big Ten, but I honestly don't believe anyone comes close to USC.

Rumors? The coaches are talking about it in the press...

NU taking another run at the option

Why is the fact that we are going to run option this year a surprise? We ran it all year last year, from non-conference all the way through the bowl game. It's been clear from the beginning that Beck wants it to be a part of his offense. I do agree that better fullback play is crucial to the offense - hopefully Marrow can deliver.

with what could be the best wr corps in the Big Ten, maybe in the country, I hope not.

Having a good WR corps shouldn't keep us from utilizing our other weapons, and frankly, our two most proven offensive weapons are in the backfield - Burkhead and Martinez, in that order.

notsureifserious.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344030942770

Anywho.

I want option. But not Oregon spread shotgun option. That speed stuff is for pansies. I want I-formation take opposing defense to pound town option. Martinez is bulking up. He can take a few more hits this year. Run Cross at some FB if Marrow isn't up for the carries. Hell, even stick Rex in there and have Heard/Abdullah running as the pitch back.

Here we all are bitching about Martinez and the passing game, so he works on that all off season.. Word is that Nebraska wants to throw the ball more, become a more balanced offense, possibly even heavier toward the passing side. Now, that just wasn't good enough. Now we want more option? You guys once again crack me up. You want him to be an option/dual threat/running/passing QB? Anything else you guys want? Hell, the kid might as well be Superman.

The option just hasn't looked very good when we've ran it. Except for that Michigan play which I'm sure 9 out of 10 of you would have went out of your way to point out. Why don't we just get a good offensive balance of pass and run going. If we mix some option in so be it. With the direction of college football, the last thing we need to be is an option based offense. Mix it in a little fine, but if we want the best of the best talent, we have to be more balanced. Plus, I hear Tommy Armstrong can sling the rock. Why waste that on the option.

• Fire 1

What's 'true option'? Someone will have to define that one for me.

We're going to see it a lot and out of a lot of different personnel groupings, formations, and sets. One of the things Beck did really good last year was get a lot of mileage out of his plays by utilzing them in multiple looks. Frankly, if we get good production from the slot, and this team has the capacity to do so, the option could make that position even more dangerous. That's one of the big personnel questions of this passing era: do you substitute a nickelback to cover the slot or do you try to hedge a LB and try to protect against the run. A 2x1 set with 20 personnel (2 back, no tight) can be really dangerous with the option. You don't see much 20 personnel because most teams that run 2 back want that TE in there, but a FB against a potential 6 man front can really pay dividends.

Or, for that matter, 11 personnel (one back, one tight) with a tight end that can burn you deep with an option pass. Lots of possibilities, but none of them work if you don't block the option correctly. What separates those options from being good plays to great plays are the teams that just sprinkle in an option play in those sets vs the one that spends the reps on the option play. The option by itself can play havoc with defensive personnel packages, but when you can mix it in with traditional pass personnel sets you really start to make the other guy think a bit. When you start playing with numbers in the box, you make those Safeties have to move around a lot. That kind of thinking is what has made some of the offenses that have taken hold the last 10 years so deadly. Especially in this era where base defenses have been overtaken by packages, anytime you can present one personnel grouping but do something unexpected it is going to pay dividends.

EDIT: I see a great example was put up above. Thanks, The Dude.

Here we all are bitching about Martinez and the passing game, so he works on that all off season.. Word is that Nebraska wants to throw the ball more, become a more balanced offense, possibly even heavier toward the passing side. Now, that just wasn't good enough. Now we want more option? You guys once again crack me up. You want him to be an option/dual threat/running/passing QB? Anything else you guys want? Hell, the kid might as well be Superman.

The option just hasn't looked very good when we've ran it. Except for that Michigan play which I'm sure 9 out of 10 of you would have went out of your way to point out. Why don't we just get a good offensive balance of pass and run going. If we mix some option in so be it. With the direction of college football, the last thing we need to be is an option based offense. Mix it in a little fine, but if we want the best of the best talent, we have to be more balanced. Plus, I hear Tommy Armstrong can sling the rock. Why waste that on the option.

I'd be surprised if they ran it more than 7-10 times per game. It will likely just replace some of the zone/read plays we would have ran anyways. What makes you think it will prevent the offense from being more balanced? Adding things to the offensive arsenal, if ran effectively, could only help offensive balance, in my opinion. It isn't necessarily going to cut into some of the passing plays we would have ran, will it?

I know overreacting is kind of your schtick, but c'mon, man.

I cringe every time we run the option. It's not pretty... I'm hardly excited. If circumstances were different, I could get into this.

It looked bad during the first third of the season but I thought it improved a lot after that with Martinez making some great pitches.

This leads me to believe that it will be much improved this year.

Zone read option yes. Traditional NU option of the past, ehh hopefully not. That takes crazy timing and practice as well as a QB who will step into the mouth of the D to make them commit. Martinez, while incredibly fast, is not for this. He slows up and stands up into contact. Not good. Every time he runs and it is not going to the house I cringe for his safety as I have never seen a player run like he does when contact is imminent. Hopefully he has worked with this some on Ganz.

It would also seem that the staff is at least ready to unleash Martinez again which either means he has gotten "more physical", is 100% AND we actually have a plan B that will work if he goes down. (no, not Cross at RB and Rex running the wildcat!)