Losing the B1G Network?

I have Dish Network and I saw a message that they might be getting rid of the B1G Network starting September 1st. Has anyone else heard anything about this? If it's true, I might be interested in switching to Direct TV.

I heard the same and it's true. People need to lobby big-time to Dish in order to get them to work harder at agreeing to a contract with BTN.

I have Dish Network and I saw a message that they might be getting rid of the B1G Network starting September 1st. Has anyone else heard anything about this? If it's true, I might be interested in switching to Direct TV.

I heard the same and it's true. People need to lobby big-time to Dish in order to get them to work harder at agreeing to a contract with BTN.

That really stinks, I was hoping that I just heard a nasty rumor.

I don't think Dish wants to drop BTN, but it does seem like they are playing hardball. IIRC there was some dispute last year that BTN wasn't in the basic tier and that may be the root cause of the standoff. Or it could be the $ amount to carry the network. On the one hand, you can respect Dish for trying to keep costs down for its customers rather than just rolling over and passing along the higher costs. On the other hand, I want my BTN! I've seen this before with other stations, and usually one side or the other will blink or they'll all come to their senses and compromise either right at the deadline or after a day or two of loss of programming, but I guess they just dropped AMC. I haven't given up on BTN yet. This weekend isn't a biggie since the game is on ESPN/ABC, and next weekend I'm out of town, but after that I'm dropping them if they don't get it.

I am happy that Dish is standing up for their customers. I've had it with these networks holding the viewer hostage and wanting higher fees for their networks. And then all those high fees are passed down to us. It's so annoying. Sports programming is getting out of hand with how high the fees these networks are paying to air programming and then in return the networks want/need higher fees per subscriber from the cable/satellite company and then those fees are passed to us. Rates keep going up and it's not getting any better anytime soon. So I say good for Dish standing up to BTN. And switching to another provider means the network(s) wins. Enough already.

I had dish network till i canceled it yesterday for multiple reasons. One of the reasons was the threat of losing the BTN. The guy i talked to told me "We will not lose nor drop the BTN, it's a big deal of the company and it's viewers." Now that did come from a guy who was doing everything he could do to preserve my business. So I wouldn't necessarily believe it, just wanted to pass on what I was told.

The vibe I get is that Dish is holding out to get a good deal and then will get a contract sorted out either in the next couple of days or possibly a couple weeks, which will mean that BTN will disappear for a short period of time and then come back. Not a huge deal since it will be a few weeks before NU could potentially be on BTN.

i hate these disputes, but it is easy to blame dish when it is probably more complicated. there are 3 variables at play and all want to keep the most of their money possible. dish does seem to get into a lot of disputes, but i think that just shows how hard it is to keep costs down. i think this will get worked out, better than amc did (which is to say, did not).

I'm glad I'm not with Dish anymore now I get to watch 2x as much College Football than I did with Dish. Not only did I go through numerous receivers but it seems that Dish are always getting into these types of disputes. I appreciate Dish looking out for their customers but this was bound to happen eventually with the BIG adding Nebraska to the conference and more viewers tuning into the BTN.

What makes me worried about Dish is that they've been sitting on their hands with AMC. That contract dispute started a few weeks before Breaking Bad 5 season started and Breaking Bad has already had 4-5 episodes. AMC is starting to have some really good shows like Hell on Wheels, The Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad.

DirecTV had a contract dispute with Viacom which owns Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, among others but the dispute ended in 9 days. Sure 9 days seems like a long time but it beats a 7+ week ongoing dispute and going through another dispute.