Losing the B1G Network?

I am happy that Dish is standing up for their customers. I've had it with these networks holding the viewer hostage and wanting higher fees for their networks. And then all those high fees are passed down to us. It's so annoying. Sports programming is getting out of hand with how high the fees these networks are paying to air programming and then in return the networks want/need higher fees per subscriber from the cable/satellite company and then those fees are passed to us. Rates keep going up and it's not getting any better anytime soon. So I say good for Dish standing up to BTN. And switching to another provider means the network(s) wins. Enough already.

I think it's only going to get worse. There's only so many ways to invent a new kind of clear television, but there is no limit to how much they can demand for accesss to their intellectual property. I wonder what % of this board remembers when TV was free.

I posted on DISH's Facebook page that if they drop BTN that I drop DISH. Simple as that. Within minutes I had a response back that said DISH and BTN are working hard behind the scenes to come to an agreement.

We'll see.

I see them getting it settled, but I really don't like everything that I have seen about AMC and Dish as well. I had no idea about that channel. It's looking like I need to really consider going with DirectTV. I was hoping to avoid that, because I really don't want a higher bill!

Again Dish sucks....glad I have DirecTV

Did you know the American Television Alliance reported that Dish Network has been involved in 22 of 42 blackouts tracked since March 2010? No other carrier is so B******-prone. This Saturday, Dish Network plans to drop BTN.

BTN Fackbook page

The American Television Alliance has reported that during carriage disputes Dish Network has dropped 22 networks from its channel lineup in the past two and a half years alone, including sports networks like MSG and SNY, which broadcast NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS games, and non-sports networks like AMC that air popular shows such as Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Now Dish Network plans to drop BTN before the first Saturday of the College Football season.

Barry Alvarez addressing Badgers fans about the Dish/BTN dispute

Did you know the American Television Alliance reported that Dish Network has been involved in 22 of 42 blackouts tracked since March 2010? No other carrier is so B******-prone. This Saturday, Dish Network plans to drop BTN.

BTN Fackbook page

The American Television Alliance has reported that during carriage disputes Dish Network has dropped 22 networks from its channel lineup in the past two and a half years alone, including sports networks like MSG and SNY, which broadcast NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS games, and non-sports networks like AMC that air popular shows such as Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Now Dish Network plans to drop BTN before the first Saturday of the College Football season.

The main reason that I didn't go with Direct TV is because it is a lot more expensive at every level than Dish Network is. Right now though, I'm seriously considering paying more money if Dish doesn't pull their head out and get with the program.

BTN Fackbook page

The main reason that I didn't go with Direct TV is because it is a lot more expensive at every level than Dish Network is. Right now though, I'm seriously considering paying more money if Dish doesn't pull their head out and get with the program.

Paying more doesn't bother me as long as its worth the extra dough and IMO DirecTV is worth it. I get way more College Football games than I ever did when I had Dish plus the NFL Ticket but my bill is actually cheaper than what it was with Dish mainly because I was paying for the most expensive package with Dish compared to the 2nd lowest amount package with DirecTV.

I feel for you Dish customers, I really do because my parents and several of my friends have Dish and all of them are thinking about switch to DirecTV because of the recent contract disputes that Dish has gone through within the last few months.

Not defending Dish at all, but I think what BTN is doing advertising this and making them look like the victim is kind of shallow. But I guess you got to do whatever it takes to get any leverage.

This! BTN is pilling all on Dish but how about BTN lets us all know just how much they are wanting per subscriber and how much of an increase that is from the current contract they have signed with Dish. It's very shallow on their part and it really annoys me when these networks start bashing the MSO when they are trying to renegotiate a new contract. And I can guarantee it's not Dish that will be dropping BTN come September 1 if a new contract isn't signed. It's BTN pulling the channel from them. If BTN was true to their word they would allow Dish to keep the channel while negotiations are on going. Once they have stopped negotiating then you could pull the channel.

I am happy that Dish is standing up for their customers. I've had it with these networks holding the viewer hostage and wanting higher fees for their networks. And then all those high fees are passed down to us. It's so annoying. Sports programming is getting out of hand with how high the fees these networks are paying to air programming and then in return the networks want/need higher fees per subscriber from the cable/satellite company and then those fees are passed to us. Rates keep going up and it's not getting any better anytime soon. So I say good for Dish standing up to BTN. And switching to another provider means the network(s) wins. Enough already.

This 2x

Here's what happens, EPSN, Fox, or whoever pays a ridiculous sum of money for broadcast rights for extreme lumberjacking (or more likely football), then they attempt to pass those cost on to carriers with higher fees.

I can't wait until IPTV becomes a reality, and we can actually pick what channels to pay for. If TV networks had a universal carriage fee rather than playing favorites, and we were not forced into bundling channels, I promise you the fee structure of TV would be much different with actual "free market" choices. You decide if the price of BTN is too much rather than the network and carrier fighting a proxy war.

Well anyway, I won't be happy at all if a single game is missed because of this. The only reason I still have Dish is to watch sports and a holdout into the season will probably be the last straw before dropping my TV subscription altogether. Direct is too expensive after the promo period ends and Time Warner isn't any better value wise.