Better or Worse by Unit

What does everyone think?

Mine:

Offense

QB - Better. More experienced. I don't buy the "improved mechanics" off season story but I'd happily settle for fewer fumbles and sacks.

RB - Better. Burkhead/Abdullah/Heard. Yeah . . . we're set.

WR - Better. Lots of young talent with a few years in the system.

TE - Better. Cotton and Reed both back. Depth might be a concern.

OL - Worse but probably healthier as a group.

Defense

DL - Same. Hopefully better by the end of the season.

LB - Worse. Collectively they might be OK . . . but there is no spinning away the loss of Lavonte David.

CB - Better. Losing Dennard hurts . . . but it sounds like these guys are ready to play.

S - Better. I expect big things from Stafford.

(Stole the idea from another site. Is it Saturday yet? :ahhhhhhhh )

• Fire 2

I think you could be right on every one of them. If I were to guess, though, I would say that DL will be better. It doesn't get a whole lot worse than last year IMO and with Coach Kaz putting a new and proven spin on their technique, as well as their mentality. I am honestly surprised to hear Ankrah being mentioned so hopefully he makes a big impact. Then with the praise of the true freshmen, the D-Line has a bright future IMO.

With the O-Line, only time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised to see an improved group, but I honestly have no idea. There are a lot of questions surrounding this position, as warranted.

I think we are better all the way around with the Oline being a push. Although i think it could end up being better with Jackson at center. Im happy he is winning out. DL is of course going to be better, because we have an actual D Line coach now, we are healthier and they are attacking because the secondary will be on lock down.

As for LB we are better as a group then a year before, losing David of course hurts, but as a group playing as a team we are going to be better....can say the same about the entire defense. Everyone understands it, and has experience. Our defense is going to be very good.

QB: Better. I hope all the work Taylor put in shows. Also I am more confident in our #2 guy this year whether it be RK3 or Tommy

RB/FB: Better. Doesn't get much better than Rex but the addition of Cross and Morrow plus more development from AA and Braylon. We are set.

WR: Better. EXPERIENCE!!!! Young guys have a lot of experience now, plus hearing good things from JW (even though may RS). O ya, no more no hands Kinnie.

TE: Better. Healthy Kyler and Ben, they are going to do their thing. Hopefully Kyler worked on blocking as I see that to be the only weakness of these two.

OL: Same. We are healthy but yet unproven. Also still have guys moving around just one week out from first game.....expect same: greatness one play...bonehead move next. Hope not, hope we restore the order here.

DL: Better (barely). Maybe don't have the dominate players of past few years but I love what Coach K brings to the table. He always had good dline's at Iowa, lets hope it follows him.

LB: Worse. This group could still but good, but you don't just replace #4....He was a VERY special player. I think Compton plays BIG this year.

CB: Better. Talent bursting out the seams here...we here the coaches talk about 5-6 guys that could start here...DEPTH.

S: Better. Like Compton I think this is Stafford's year. I am hearing he finally has the coverages down (didn't really last year), he is a playmaker. Also like the athleticism that PJ or Harvey Jackson bring to other safety position (upgrade from Cassidy).

Special Teams: Worse. Listen why before rip me.....Maher is going to do his thing (All-A in my opinion). But the new kickoff rules are going to limit what Ameer can do this year, teams already don't kick to him most of the time. Now the rules make returns less likey....

Good idea on topic OP! I think I am little optimistic due to the long off-season....O well! Pass the Koolaid!

Offense

QB - Better. More experienced. Second year in the system and healthier. He should be more mobile and with a decent back up, he will be turned loose more on the runs.

RB - Better. Burkhead and Ameer will still be good and then add in Cross, we are set pretty well.

WR - Better. Again, second year in the system and our young talent has that much more experience.

TE - Better. Healthier and another year of experience with Cotton and Reed.

OL - Better. It sounds like they are healthier and again.....second year in the system. They should be able to go out and play hard and not think as much..

Defense

DL - Better. I like what I'm hearing about the new focus of attacking more. I'm optimistic about the new coach also.

LB - Better. BUT, this might take a few games to get there. Losing #4 last year is a hit. But, as an entire group, I think they will be better.

CB - Better. Great depth. I'm excited about the new coach. Sounds like his style fits more with what Sanders was doing.

S - Better. I expect these guys to be really good.

How is that for optimistic???

Offense

QB - Better. More experienced. Second year in the system and healthier. He should be more mobile and with a decent back up, he will be turned loose more on the runs.

RB - Better. Burkhead and Ameer will still be good and then add in Cross, we are set pretty well.

WR - Better. Again, second year in the system and our young talent has that much more experience.

TE - Better. Healthier and another year of experience with Cotton and Reed.

OL - Better. It sounds like they are healthier and again.....second year in the system. They should be able to go out and play hard and not think as much..

Defense

DL - Better. I like what I'm hearing about the new focus of attacking more. I'm optimistic about the new coach also.

LB - Better. BUT, this might take a few games to get there. Losing #4 last year is a hit. But, as an entire group, I think they will be better.

CB - Better. Great depth. I'm excited about the new coach. Sounds like his style fits more with what Sanders was doing.

S - Better. I expect these guys to be really good.

How is that for optimistic???

I agree. I'd maybe put LB as same. Losing Lavonte is impossible to replace, but the other 2 LB spots will be MUCH better than they were last year. And since we played without Crick most of last season, the DL will be better simply by experience.

Now the rules make returns less likey....

We can use the NFL data as a guide, though obviously the quality of placekicker between the two levels is not equal. Touchback percentage did go way up (quite a bit more than expected), and return percantage went way down. When a guy did return it, he usually returned it from deeper in his end zone. It mostly eliminated those 20-25 yard returns. Early in the season, the change had no effect on the number of TDs returned, but this changed as the season went on. Consequently, as the weather changed, the % of touchbacks went down as well, but it still finished at 43%, quite a bit higher than the 16% of the years prior. The net effect on starting field position was about 4 yards, which is accounted for by the NCAA moving touchbacks to the 25.

Losing Lavonte is impossible to replace, but the other 2 LB spots will be MUCH better than they were last year.

Why's that?

Fisher back to full speed. Whaley will be better than Fisher was last year. Fisher will be equal to or better than Compton was last year. That should overcome the falloff of Compton to David.

Plus, this unit was depended on unlike in any year prior - 2nd year in the B1G will help them tremendously. Compton will be solid in calling the defense.

Losing Lavonte is impossible to replace, but the other 2 LB spots will be MUCH better than they were last year.

Why's that?

Fisher back to full speed. Whaley will be better than Fisher was last year. Fisher will be equal to or better than Compton was last year. That should overcome the falloff of Compton to David.

Plus, this unit was depended on unlike in any year prior - 2nd year in the B1G will help them tremendously. Compton will be solid in calling the defense.

This and Santos is nipping at Whaley's heals, might be playing by confrence play if Whaley struggles, or Santos excels. Compton was coming on towards the end of the season and is poised for a big year. Fischer is playing better then he ever has (apparently) and Zaire will provide depth while picking up the D. The LBs in general have more experience, and are playing better as unit, making less mistakes.

Why's that?

Compton progressed last season and should be more experienced and therefore better at MLB. Fisher and whoever else was at SLB were ineffective last season. Fisher should be better by experience and maybe by being more healed both physically and mentally. Also, we have more bodies at LB than last season, so competition should be better making the starters better.

I also just have a feeling the whole defense is better prepared this year and more experienced top to bottom.

Fisher back to full speed. Whaley will be better than Fisher was last year. Fisher will be equal to or better than Compton was last year.

This would be very surprising.

Hope you're right . . . but I doubt it. Fisher has always been more hype than substance. Yes, he suffered a really bad injury but he wasn't impressive either before or after the injury.

We'll see.

Edit: I see a repeat of the 2010 offseason brewing. 2010: The DL will improve even without Suh. 2012: The LB spot will improve even without David.