One way to fix the defensive line play...

Fuzzy

There is alot wrong with what you are saying. First, the Big 12 had better spread offenses than any conference in the country in 2009 and 2010. Last time I checked, our defense was pretty solid against most of those offenses in both years. Granted, in 2009 we had Suh, but the defense was still pretty damn good in 2010 without him.

Michigan St and Wisconsin are "gimmes"? Really? Based off of what? Sorry, but I don't think anyone will take you seriously after making a statement like that.

To add onto what you're saying, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the second half of our game. Ellis Johnson came out and said So. Miss essentially gave up in the second half.

“When we subbed quarterbacks and switched a little bit of our game plan — let’s face it, we weren’t going to win the football game in the third quarter,” the Golden Eagles’ first-year coach said. “It was more about trying to improve our football team.”

So. Miss fans are livid on their message boards right now about how Johnson basically gave up.

There is alot wrong with what you are saying. First, the Big 12 had better spread offenses than any conference in the country in 2009 and 2010. Last time I checked, our defense was pretty solid against most of those offenses in both years. Granted, in 2009 we had Suh, but the defense was still pretty damn good in 2010 without him.

Michigan St and Wisconsin are "gimmes"? Really? Based off of what? Sorry, but I don't think anyone will take you seriously after making a statement like that.

To add onto what you're saying, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the second half of our game. Ellis Johnson came out and said So. Miss essentially gave up in the second half.

“When we subbed quarterbacks and switched a little bit of our game plan — let’s face it, we weren’t going to win the football game in the third quarter,” the Golden Eagles’ first-year coach said. “It was more about trying to improve our football team.”

So. Miss fans are livid on their message boards right now about how Johnson basically gave up.

I understand that, and might not have worded my long post very well, but they were essentially running the same plays in the first half (while running) that they were in the second half. I don't believe that the players ever quit though, and that's where it matters.

What happened to this "attacking defensive line" I heard about in the preseason? It basically looks like on every play our d-line is trying to block the o-linemen...not try to get into the backfield. It has been frustrating to watch. Something better be fixed or this defense is going to get eaten alive in conference play.

LOL...what games involving B1G teams leads you to this half-baked assertion?

1. Wisconsin's narrow escape from Northern Iowa?

2. Iowa's one point win over Northern Illinois?

3. Michigan getting hammered by Alabama?

4. Or maybe it was Michigan State's almost losing to Boise State (at home) that has you tossing and turning?

I know that as a Nebraska fan joining in the "we suck" chorus is the new black but get real.

Southern Miss ran for nearly 200 yards against Nebraska. Are you assuming the offensive lines, running backs, and quarterbacks in the Big 10 - specifically on Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St - are worse than what Southern Miss has? Bell, Ball, Robinson, and Miller come to mind. Not to mention that Wisconsin has a proven track record of developing quality college o-linemen.

It was just something I noticed. Nebraska's d-line did not play good. They looked slow and and were getting pushed around.......by Southern Miss. I'm not sure if it's talent or scheme - I tend to lean towards a mixture of the two - but hopefully something changes and d-line play improves or our defense will struggle the rest of the year.

I already said this on another thread, but i'll go again. The spread offense, (So. Miss) is the hardest and most difficult defense to defend in all of football. Hence, why the NFL is accepting it more and more into the game. The only team that I saw this weekend stuff the dual threat quarterbacks/read options was Alabama. And, we know how much of a higher level they're on then everyone else in the country. Wisconsin and Michigan St. are perfect offenses for us to defend. Wisconsin, on Saturday played smashmouth for the entire game, and were averaging maybe 3 yards at most a carry vs Northern Iowa. Danny O'Brien was nothing to drool over. He was a pocket quarterback, which is what our defense thrives on. Examples, Jake Locker (Minus Holiday Bowl, didn't happen), Curt Cousins, James Vandenberg, Blaine Gabbert. All quality quarterbacks who had no luck of anything against us. That's why I believe Michigan State and Wisconsin are gimmes. Michigan and Ohio State are reasonable things to be scared about. But, Wisconsin and Michigan State looked like complete dog drool this weekend, and both were at home, So imagine wisky on the road. I think our defense was fine once they knew more about Southern Miss' offense. Which was the second half. They were driving down the field time and time again in the first, but the second half, 100 yards and 3 points, and almost all punts, sit down my friend and wait for UCLA. if we are still struggling after UCLA then there is obviously more room for discussion. But, we also had 11 TFL and 3 sacks, which isn't a bad game at all, against a team's offense that you don't know.

Yes, it was week 1, but, Wisconsin escaped at home against a Northern Iowa team, that was decently good, but they still should have put them away way early on. Michigan State relied on Bell more than i've ever seen a team do so. 50 touches for a back is superhuman. I may have not worded that in the best manner. But, Wisconsin and Michigan State looked absolutely terrible and yet Tom Dienhart calls them both better than us in his rankings.

@'SkersRule

"Igetbored216" is not the only one who believes that the play of our D-Line against Southern Miss last Saturday portends bad things to come down the road.

I hope I'm wrong but 5 years of coach speak have left me numb. At the end of the day we have still not beaten a team ranked in the top 15 since I don't know when, we continue to lose 3-4 games a year..these are indisputable facts that can't be argued even if you don't like the fact that people point them out.

Not all fans fit into the good little box that our peers would like us to, pardon us for being frustrated after another off season of being told how our D-Line is going to be better this year only to come away from game 1 with warning signs and evidence to the contrary.

2 for 2 on Troll posts. Keep up the bad work. :devil

At the end of the day we have still not beaten a team ranked in the top 15 since I don't know when

You're joking right? Pretty sure we dominated a Michigan State team last year who finished in the top 15.

Pretty sure we dominated a top 10 Mizzou team in 2010.....cripes....post some facts and know your sh#t before you post man lol. C'mon. lol = ) You're not doing so well for your inital posts on this board..............

What happened to this "attacking defensive line" I heard about in the preseason? It basically looks like on every play our d-line is trying to block the o-linemen...not try to get into the backfield. It has been frustrating to watch. Something better be fixed or this defense is going to get eaten alive in conference play.

4. Or maybe it was Michigan State's almost losing to Boise State (at home) that has you tossing and turning?

I know that as a Nebraska fan joining in the "we suck" chorus is the new black but get real.

Southern Miss ran for nearly 200 yards against Nebraska. Are you assuming the offensive lines, running backs, and quarterbacks in the Big 10 - specifically on Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St - are worse than what Southern Miss has? Bell, Ball, Robinson, and Miller come to mind. Not to mention that Wisconsin has a proven track record of developing quality college o-linemen.

It was just something I noticed. Nebraska's d-line did not play good. They looked slow and and were getting pushed around.......by Southern Miss. I'm not sure if it's talent or scheme - I tend to lean towards a mixture of the two - but hopefully something changes and d-line play improves or our defense will struggle the rest of the year.

I don't see how anyone that watched the game can disagree with what igetbored is saying. We got pushed around by what is supposed to be an inferior opponent. They ran the ball very very well and the defensive line looked very weak. It's not a bash on the team. It's not a f#*k it we suck attitude. It's the cold hard truth. They just have to get better and we should leave it at that for now. There is absolutely no debate that the offensive lines we'll see in Conference play will be much tougher than Southern Miss was.

My two cents on the matter.......Igetbored 2. SkersRule 0.

• Fire 1

At the end of the day we have still not beaten a team ranked in the top 15 since I don't know when

You're joking right? Pretty sure we dominated a Michigan State team last year who finished in the top 15.

Pretty sure we dominated a top 10 Mizzou team in 2010.....cripes....post some facts and know your sh#t before you post man lol. C'mon. lol = ) You're not doing so well for your inital posts on this board..............

Haha. If that was a requirement here, this would be a pretty uneventful place.

I don't see how anyone that watched the game can disagree with what igetbored is saying. We got pushed around by what is supposed to be an inferior opponent. They ran the ball very very well and the defensive line looked very weak. It's not a bash on the team. It's not a f#*k it we suck attitude. It's the cold hard truth. They just have to get better and we should leave it at that for now. There is absolutely no debate that the offensive lines we'll see in Conference play will be much tougher than Southern Miss was.

Yep. Good team overall. Offense looks fantastic but the DL and LB are not very good. Middle of the pack in conference at best. If what we saw on Saturday hold through the season . . . will an average-ish defense and really good offense be enough? We'll see. :thumbs

If you believe the DL didn't play well then nothing I say will cause you to change your mind.

They didn't play well, so I guess you have no chance of changing my mind. eyeswear2allthatsholy

Yep. Good team overall. Offense looks fantastic but the DL and LB are not very good. Middle of the pack in conference at best. If what we saw on Saturday hold through the season . . . will an average-ish defense and really good offense be enough? We'll see. :thumbs

I guess I think so. I just don't see the worldbeaters in this conference as some do. I really believe Michigan is one of the better teams in the conference and we saw how they fared against Bama. I'm not saying we're a great team, but I think we're good enough to make a run at the Big 10 championship. I doubt we make it through conference play undefeated, but I doubt any Big 10 team makes it through conference play undefeated.