Grades - Southern Miss

tschu

QB: A

RB: B+

WR & TE: A+

OL: A

Offense: Very solid A. Tmart only had 1 close call. Only a couple of bad throws. RB's were good. WR&TE caught everything including a few tough throws and jump ball. They blocked very well and got some yacs. Line did not give up a sack that I can recall. No false starts. Not stuffed too many times. Only 1 punt. No turnovers

DL: C

LB: C

DB: C+

Gave up only 1 TD, which is pretty good. Also gave up 2 FG's which is not bad. Only 260 yards given up. Got a turnover and had 3 sacks. It wasn't pretty but at the end of the day it wasn't bad. As a whole the numbers shout better than average! So Miss helped us a few times so that made a difference. All in all they were consistent which helps. They didn't give up many big plays. Need to do better on 3rd down!!

Special Teams: D-

Gave up a TD on a KO no less!. 2 missed FG's and a shanked punt. Woe is me, but they will figure it out. Wish they'd get a little more speed on the Kick coverage team.

I think NUandOU's comments summed it up nicely.

No droppies - check

No fumbles - check

No meaningless penalties - check

No dumb picks - check

What would be a meaningful penalty? What would a smart pick look like?

I'll throw one out there. Committing PI to keep the other team from scoring. I've always considered that a smart play. I'd rather DB's give up 15 yards on a penalty than a 50 yard catch in the endzone.

Really what I think the success of our defense will hinge on is making tackles. Its pretty apparent we aren't going to get amazing pass rush from our d line, so we need to get off the field whenever we have the chance.

We were a few Meredith and whaley tackles away from a 49-7 game. Hopefully this improves with time and with a better tailored strategy for a specific offense.

We weren't sure what QB they were going to play and we had no film on their new offense. That there spells a recipe for DL and LBs being out of position. In the second half we made adjustments and held them to 3 points and 108 yards.

This, I felt that the D settled down pretty well in the 2nd half. Overall they only gave up 260 total yards of O and 13 points, and only 3 points in the 2nd half. I am not counting a bad kick coverage on the Blackshirts.