Question on NCAA rules

Last night on Big Red Wrap-up, they implied that there were going to be quite a few Husker fans at Stanton's football game on Friday since they are going to be in LA for the UCLA game.

I know there are some rules about fan contact with recruits. If nobody gives Stanton anything (ie..money) but are there cheering for him and let's say some have a banner saying something like "Huskers for Stanton".....etc.

Is there any way Nebraska could get into NCAA trouble over this? For some reason I have this fear of something like Crouch's ham sandwich.

I would love to be at both games this weekend.

Last night on Big Red Wrap-up, they implied that there were going to be quite a few Husker fans at Stanton's football game on Friday since they are going to be in LA for the UCLA game.

I know there are some rules about fan contact with recruits. If nobody gives Stanton anything (ie..money) but are there cheering for him and let's say some have a banner saying something like "Huskers for Stanton".....etc.

Is there any way Nebraska could get into NCAA trouble over this? For some reason I have this fear of something like Crouch's ham sandwich.

I would love to be at both games this weekend.

That's fine. Can even talk to him in passing. But nothing beyond that. If in doubt, contact the athletic department.

In addition to what Moiraine said, there's also a stipulation about the type of contact. For example, in a public place, discussion with the recruit is OK. But, phone calls, texts, e-mails, etc., promoting the school or telling them to be a Husker outside of public discourse would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Recruits have been turned off by too much contact, too. I know it wasn't the same situation, but Ohio State lost a recruit this past cycle due to an overzealous fan. You just don't want to pressure these kids too much. Some may find it flattering that 100-1,000 Husker fans show up at a kid's high school football game, but others might feel too much pressure from it and bail.

Good point Knapplc.

How much is too much? It tends to be a line that is only recognized once it has been crossed.

It's tough to say. Some kids revel in the attention. Personally, I barely pay attention to recruiting. Until these kids produce something in a game, I barely pay attention to them. I understand that's not for everyone, though. But in general I think it's best to work hard to think of these kids as kids, not stars or pieces of an overall recruiting ranking, and treat them as you would any other kid.

In addition to what Moiraine said, there's also a stipulation about the type of contact. For example, in a public place, discussion with the recruit is OK. But, phone calls, texts, e-mails, etc., promoting the school or telling them to be a Husker outside of public discourse would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Aside from one being a fan, what's the difference in a "fan" contacting him and promoting the school and his "buddies" telling him how cool it would be to go to Nebraska?

I believe this is the part of the NCAA rulebook that applies here:

LINK

Role of Boosters

Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.

• Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.

• Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.

• Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.

• Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

• Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.

• Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

Students are still considered prospects even if they have signed a National Letter of Intent or any other financial aid agreement with a university.

Boosters are not precluded from continuing established friendships with families who have prospective student-athletes. However, boosters may not encourage a prospect’s participation in university athletics or provide benefits to prospects that were not previously provided.

If a violation occurs, it may jeopardize a student-athlete’s eligibility for intercollegiate competition, jeopardize a school’s membership status with the NCAA or cause a booster to lose access to all booster benefits.

Subsections:

What are examples of impermissible recruiting activities?

As a booster, you may not:

• Contact a prospect in-person on-campus or off campus.

• Contact a prospect by telephone, email, Internet or letter.

• Provide gifts or free or reduced-cost services to a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.

• Employ relatives, guardians or friends of a prospect as an inducement for the prospect’s enrollment and athletics participation at a university.

• Become directly or indirectly involved in making arrangements for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to receive money or financial aid of any kind.

• Provide transportation for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.

• Provide free or reduced-cost tickets for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to attend an athletic event.

• Provide any material benefit (e.g., meals, cash) to the coach of a prospect, including high school, two-year college, AAU and summer team coaches.

What are examples of permissible activities?

Even though there are many rules prohibiting your involvement with prospects and the recruiting process, as a booster, you may:

• Notify university coaching staff members about noteworthy prospects in the area.

• Attend high school or two-year college athletic contests or other events where prospects may compete, provided no contact occurs.

• Continue existing friendships.

The NCAA promises to be very loose in their definition of "boosters." The first underlined part could be interpreted as meaning those of us on forums and other websites. The second underlined part at the bottom is the key to attending Stanton's game. Go ahead and go to the game - just don't talk to him, or in any way (by signs, hand gestures, shouted words, etc) say anything that could be construed as influencing the recruit.

Aside from one being a fan, what's the difference in a "fan" contacting him and promoting the school and his "buddies" telling him how cool it would be to go to Nebraska?

I don't know the exact bylaw. I know there's a case right now of a Georgia fan who called a recruit, believing the recruit had gone back on his verbal commitment to Georgia. Georgia is facing possible sanctions.

The NCAA isn't completely unreasonable. I'm sure they'd view a friend of a player far differently than a complete stranger.