It's not just a game!

HuskerMoon

I damaged property once after a Husker game, but it was a victory - when Mo Purify caught the game winning touchdown catch against Texas A&M in 2006, I jumped in excitement and my hands went into the moving fan blades.

Needless to say, I don't ever jump when I'm in my folks' living room.

you will use any excuse to prove to us how tall you are, will you not?

The fan is only about eight feet off the ground. My two foot vertical is very impressive to a lot of scouts.

I damaged property once after a Husker game, but it was a victory - when Mo Purify caught the game winning touchdown catch against Texas A&M in 2006, I jumped in excitement and my hands went into the moving fan blades.

Needless to say, I don't ever jump when I'm in my folks' living room.

you will use any excuse to prove to us how tall you are, will you not?

The fan is only about eight feet off the ground. My two foot vertical is very impressive to a lot of scouts.

damn you, pelini! you have once again failed to lock down home-grown talent! *shakes fist in air*

Friend, it IS just a game, and this is a huge problem with you and many others in the fan base. You can care without letting it ruin your day, you can care without letting affect your attitude, you can care while being rational.

It's all about attitude. I'm with many of you - I feel that Pelini hasn't hit the level many of us expected him to hit. The talent at key positions - underwhelming, the focus level during adversity - pathetic, the assistant coaching hires - questionable, albeit not terrible. However, there's a time and place for everything, and people should logically formulate their opinions rather than make rash predictions and statements without thinking things through.

+1 to that.

Seems to me like the Pelini era has been defined by teetering between above average and good, with some flashes of greatness. I will take that over the Callahan days every time...particularly in consideration of the fact that we have had no scandals with Pelini, very few arrest, and academics are better than ever. Those are the kinds of things that damage a program and really embarrass the people who identify themselves with it.

Ok, so off the field and classroom discipline has been good, what next? Building a program that is the top of the league division. In fairly short order Bo accomplished that in the Big 12 north, although it was admittedly in a competitive slump. How do we stack up in the Legends division? Very well against Sparty, Iowa, and Minnesota, a question mark with Northwestern, and an even bigger question mark with Michigan. Our cross-division rival is obviously going to be in the dump for a long time.

In my view how we handle Michigan this year is the biggest test, another blowout loss and it is probably time to lift the safety on the panic button at least. Its too early to tell if Hoke is building something with all the talent he's hauled in or setting the stage for a big flame-out...but my biggest fear in the immediate future is the B10 becoming a two horse race between Michigan and tOSU, with everyone else relegated to a side show. If that fear starts to become realized, then yes, I think we have no choice but to look for a different staff, because if you're not competitive in your league, then what are you doing? Something tells me Bo wouldn't want to stick around desperately clinging to his job if we are clearly not competitive in the league either.

So let me get this straight. It's selfish of me to break my own chair that I paid for or punch a hole through the drywall in my hallway because someone else in this great big world has lost the capacity to watch a Nebraska game? By that same token it is also selfish for me to shove a Texas fan out of my face for hooping and hollering in my grill while leaving the 1996 Big XII championship game? Or slobberknocking a Colorado fan after spitting on my friend after the 2001 game in boulder? I understand this may an emotional response from you in reference to a recent experience and I empathize with emotional responses but I'm afraid don't share your sentiment and couldn't disagree with you more.

Not selfish. Just oversensitive and stupid.

+100

I actually mean no offense, but you would be much happier applying that type of passion to something you had an actual stake in. I bet you'd even have more people to watch the game with :P

I know this because I used to (almost) be this same guy. Not so much the breaking/fighting, but losses would ruin/sour an entire week.

Of course it is just a game. But I also have a hard time believing a lot of the people who say *it's just football* when they have thousands of posts on a Husker message board...

Yes, it's just a game. There are so many things in my life that I would never trade away if it came down to keeping them or keeping Husker football. A loss doesn't *ruin* my day. It certainly can put a melancholy spin on my day but not in the sense that I feel the need to hurt property, myself, or others. And clearly if you're doing any of the above you should take a step back.

But let's not get into a pissing match about how we're all so well-balanced and well-rounded individuals that a loss doesn't cause us to feel a little bit of disappointment. Certainly Husker football isn't meaningless - the accomplishments they've managed are something we're all proud of. That team, like it or not, is a big part of our state identity. It's a matter of school pride for many of us here. The program is huge for the economy of the area. They're a talking point that connects people from all over the state, and really, all over the world.

Again, if your entire source of self-worth is this team, that's a problem. But I don't think that describes anyone here. But my point is that this team is almost certainly not meaningless, and it really isn't *just a game* in the sense that say, Yahtzee or something is just a game. And as fans, you can't have good times without bad. So I feel no shame in being disappointed after a loss, just like I feel no shame in being happy after a big win.

Every time Nebraska loses I get to hear this lie. "Oh well... It's just a game." If you say this following a Nebraska loss then there are only a handful of reasons you are saying it. Denial, Mental Illness, Lack of true Husker born and bred passion, or finally your priorities are out of whack.

You are so upset over losing the game that you pass it off as just college kids living it up and playing a little backyard game of piggly skin. Instead of a 122 year tradition and source of pride for this entire state. A storied tradition of fandom passed down from father to son.... and daughter over the ages. A source that unites family and friends in fellowship 12 to 14 Saturdays in the fall. Something that in Nebraska is a synonomous with fall as Halloween and Thanksgiving. That true Nebraska fans exhault with heartfelt joy in meaningful victory and feel physical and emotional pain and also humiliation in loss. It is a sport that brings in millions of dollars in revenue to the University, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. Something that has a DIRECT impact on the education of our young people and the local ECONOMY. There is far more emotion wrapped up in 60 minutes of watching football on a Husker Saturday than many would care to admit but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are too simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people. That or they support some other hack of a team in which their support could never hold a candle to the passion Nebraska fans have.. So don't tell me it's just a game. (I'm sure some coy jackass will say it. Be first in line to show your true colors.) It's far from just a game to me.

I get upset after the Huskers lose. Then I remember that I buy the merchandise, I pay to go to the games, I spend money in Lincoln on Saturday, I argue with strangers and the Huskers don't give me anything in return. What do the Huskers do for you other than cause great anguish in your life? Relax dude.