Hypothetical Pelini Replacement

I'm not calling for Bo's head, and am in fact a supporter and think that he is learning on the go and continuing to improve as a head coach. The issues right now are obviously at LB and DL due to poor recruiting classes in Bo's first three seasons. I believe this will get straightened out after the 2012 and 2013 classes, but that may be too late. I see more than a reasonable possibility that Bo won't be around after the 2013 season, as 4+ losses this season and next is not out of the question. I don't see TO firing Bo even if he loses 5 this season, but I can see Bo jumping ship to go rebuild another defense and feel appreciated once again.

My question is this - who is next in line if Bo were to leave after this season? Turner Gill is no longer an option after failing at KU, and it won't be anyone from the current staff. There is also no way in Osborne's red state that Husker Nation will let it once again be a learn on the job role. It will have to be an established head coach with at least 2-3 years of experience and success. What successful coaches would want to come to Nebraska after 3 straight coaches have failed and essentially been run out of town? My fantasy list, though unlikely, is as follows:

1. This is a given, the most sought-after coach in college football, Chris Petersen. I don't see him leaving Boise, but if he did I think Nebraska would have a legitimate shot if it can fork up the money. He doesn't want to go to a top notch program - Notre Dame, Ohio St., USC, Oklahoma - and though I consider Nebraska top notch, realistically it is in Tier 2. Location-wise, recruiting to the city of Lincoln isn't much different than recruiting to Boise, and essentially what Petersen's done with Boise is the same as what Devany did with Nebraska in the '60s. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think that if the stars aligned Petersen would give NU a good look.

2. Tony Sparano. This is absolutely out of the blue, but after seeing Bo continually outcoached by former NFL coaches, it's obvious that an NFL coach who's had success can easily breakdown film and gameplan against above average college coaches. Not to mention they attract recruits who want to play at the next level. Sparano is a guy who got everything out of his Dolphin teams, but did not have the personnel to compete in the AFC East. He's a creative offensive mind and utilizes his weapons. He puts his players in position to succeed, something we're not seeing out of the current staff. Callahan destroyed a Raiders team that made it to a Super Bowl, a warning sign that Pederson ignored, and should have never been given the opportunity to coach in Lincoln. Nebraska should not be afraid to give the NFL thing another shot. Sparano won't see another NFL head coaching job for a while, and $3.5 mil might be enough to bring him to the B1G.

3. Paul Johnson. Successful everywhere he's been. If Nebraska wants to get back to it's roots, bring back the option and the man who's the best in the country at coaching it.

4. Butch Jones, Cincinnati. Currently coaches in Nebraska's new recruiting hot spot (Ohio), has proven himself in two head coaching jobs, and one more successful season will put him in high demand. Grab him now or never.

5. Frank Solich. Might as well go back to Frankie and pretend the last 10 years never happened.

6. Tom Osborne. While we're at it, might as well pretend the last 15 years never happened. Bill Snyder did it.

Thoughts??

I'm not calling for Bo's head, and am in fact a supporter and think that he is learning on the go and continuing to improve as a head coach. The issues right now are obviously at LB and DL due to poor recruiting classes in Bo's first three seasons. I believe this will get straightened out after the 2012 and 2013 classes, but that may be too late. I see more than a reasonable possibility that Bo won't be around after the 2013 season, as 4+ losses this season and next is not out of the question. I don't see TO firing Bo even if he loses 5 this season, but I can see Bo jumping ship to go rebuild another defense and feel appreciated once again.

My question is this - who is next in line if Bo were to leave after this season? Turner Gill is no longer an option after failing at KU, and it won't be anyone from the current staff. There is also no way in Osborne's red state that Husker Nation will let it once again be a learn on the job role. It will have to be an established head coach with at least 2-3 years of experience and success. What successful coaches would want to come to Nebraska after 3 straight coaches have failed and essentially been run out of town? My fantasy list, though unlikely, is as follows:

1. This is a given, the most sought-after coach in college football, Chris Petersen. I don't see him leaving Boise, but if he did I think Nebraska would have a legitimate shot if it can fork up the money. He doesn't want to go to a top notch program - Notre Dame, Ohio St., USC, Oklahoma - and though I consider Nebraska top notch, realistically it is in Tier 2. Location-wise, recruiting to the city of Lincoln isn't much different than recruiting to Boise, and essentially what Petersen's done with Boise is the same as what Devany did with Nebraska in the '60s. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think that if the stars aligned Petersen would give NU a good look.

2. Tony Sparano. This is absolutely out of the blue, but after seeing Bo continually outcoached by former NFL coaches, it's obvious that an NFL coach who's had success can easily breakdown film and gameplan against above average college coaches. Not to mention they attract recruits who want to play at the next level. Sparano is a guy who got everything out of his Dolphin teams, but did not have the personnel to compete in the AFC East. He's a creative offensive mind and utilizes his weapons. He puts his players in position to succeed, something we're not seeing out of the current staff. Callahan destroyed a Raiders team that made it to a Super Bowl, a warning sign that Pederson ignored, and should have never been given the opportunity to coach in Lincoln. Nebraska should not be afraid to give the NFL thing another shot. Sparano won't see another NFL head coaching job for a while, and $3.5 mil might be enough to bring him to the B1G.

3. Paul Johnson. Successful everywhere he's been. If Nebraska wants to get back to it's roots, bring back the option and the man who's the best in the country at coaching it.

4. Butch Jones, Cincinnati. Currently coaches in Nebraska's new recruiting hot spot (Ohio), has proven himself in two head coaching jobs, and one more successful season will put him in high demand. Grab him now or never.

5. Frank Solich. Might as well go back to Frankie and pretend the last 10 years never happened.

6. Tom Osborne. While we're at it, might as well pretend the last 15 years never happened. Bill Snyder did it.

Thoughts??

Callahan coached in a Super Bowl eyeswear2allthatsholy eyeswear2allthatsholy .... No Thanks! :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

Thoughts??

Callahan coached in a Super Bowl eyeswear2allthatsholy eyeswear2allthatsholy .... No Thanks! :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

That was the Gruden Bowl. I don't credit Callahan for the Raiders' AFC Championship. Also, Cosgrove was his downfall. He got the players here and ran a good offense. If he had kept Bo as DC he might still be here.

Thoughts??

That was the Gruden Bowl. I don't credit Callahan for the Raiders' AFC Championship. Also, Cosgrove was his downfall. He got the players here and ran a good offense. If he had kept Bo as DC he might still be here.

hard to swallow but possible....

Amen to that huskerjch!

It would be disastrous to fire coaches at this point. This is why guys post instead of coach. You can't change coaches all the time....that doesn't build a program. That's what made nebraska....nebraska. We had a sign in the locker room and to paraphrase....whether you are 8-3 or 3-8, the only folks you can rely on are the folks in this locker room.

Some fans just don't understand football. Let it be.....2 games into the season and folks are asking for a coaching change....shameful.

• Fire 1

Yikes... you're pushing your luck by starting this thread. Trust me -- I know. Besides, as it's already been clearly stated time and time again, none of the aforementioned coaches would ever come here -- Lincoln is considered a cesspool in the college football world.

As I've said before, I don't think Bo needs to be fired, until he puts together back-to-back lackluster seasons. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him jump ship and take a DC position elsewhere if he feels his seat getting warm. A lot of people aren't thinking about that possibility.

• Fire 1

Well Frank solich is wreaking havoc again. Turned a bad program around. turner Gill turned a horrific program around and then signed his death wish at Kansas. Only 2 Candidates come to mind. Boise ST guy and TCU Guy! Nick saban at 5.6 mill a year comes to mind,but would be scared probation and bowl ban would follow. We are a University that reported Books as a PROBLEM! Do not think Bama does that as Books are not required for football players there!

Good God I am so sick of reading about Bo being on the hot seat. We are two games into the season......get a freaking grip!!!!!!!!!!If we are at .500 through 10 games then we can talk about this.

What's this program coming to if we can't talk about a coaching change after a 650 yard, inferior to an unranked team whoopin??

This is freaking stupid.

This has been talked to death in the last 3 days. And someone felt the need to start ANOTHER thread on this. :facepalm:

Bill Snyder was out of the game for 3 years. Not much changed in that three years. Osborne out for 15? I learned this lesson the hard way here my first few days. Now i'm gonna give you a little advice. Anytime you think about starting a new thread-regardless the topic-dont, at least until you read back 10 pages of previous topics. Welcome.