Is Bo Pelini's seat hot?

Excel

Bo Pelini hot seat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

two beat-downs and an away game against a quality opponent we should have beat; this is still bo's best season. is this the type of season a coach wants to hang his hat on? no, but i still see improvement from when bo got here. any way you slice, we would look like lunatics to get rid of bo right now. and frankly, if he does leave, for whatever reason, we will deserve whatever we get.

If Bo's not our head coach within the next few years, I expect that it'll be by his own decision, not Eichorst's.

Yep. My guess is Bo engineers his own departure - with the AD's tacit encouragement - and everyone saves face.

This does seem likely.

Most people whose job performance is rather open to the public and whose performance has been suspect and a rash of criticism flows for a long period of time in the public domain (newspapers, national media, the internet, etc.) --- well more often than not the job becomes onerous and difficult stay in..

As such, most will chalk that one up to experience and look elsewhere moving away from the failed venture and find a fresh start elsewhere. The organization who employed the failed employee usually facilitates that departure behind the scenes and the process goes as described... "he left and we wish him well"

I suspect that by now Bo is clearly on the look for something else... this one is heading in an irretrievable direction and he must be quite aware that his best move is to start up elsewhere hopefully learning from his mistakes here. When a first time inexperienced head coach is hired... well far more often than not, they cut their teeth at that school, make a bunch of mistakes and then move on.

It cannot be fun for Bo to constantly be hounded over his performance at every turn... and, when coupled with the anticipated immediate future also being bleak... well ... Usually, once this is the case (and it is the case now for Bo), an exit strategy is being crafted... both by the coach and the university. Sometimes that exit is a year or two out... but one never knows exactly how it will play out...

two beat-downs and an away game against a quality opponent we should have beat; this is still bo's best season. is this the type of season a coach wants to hang his hat on? no, but i still see improvement from when bo got here. any way you slice, we would look like lunatics to get rid of bo right now. and frankly, if he does leave, for whatever reason, we will deserve whatever we get.

I just can't agree with this. There is no way this season will be Bo's best season unless we dismantle Georgia. In 09', we finished the season extremely strong. We lost by one flipping second in the Big 12 Championship game to a team that went on to play for a NC. I can't for the life of me even begin to understand how losing to an unranked team as bad as we did in the second to last game of the season makes this Bo's best season. The B1G looks like the Big East usually does sending their unranked conference winner to a BCS bowl. The B1G is not good at all this year which makes it a little difficult to just look at wins when determining if this is Bo's best season. Bo was brought here to fix the defense which is exactly what TO said in why Bo got the nod over Gill. This year, we broke a several decade old record for most yards allowed in a game against UCLA. Against Wisconsin, we broke the record for the most yards rushing ever given up. I'm sorry, but there's no way this season can be declared Bo's best season at NU.

I just can't agree with this. There is no way this season will be Bo's best season unless we dismantle Georgia. In 09', we finished the season extremely strong. We lost by one flipping second in the Big 12 Championship game to a team that went on to play for a NC. I can't for the life of me even begin to understand how losing to an unranked team as bad as we did in the second to last game of the season makes this Bo's best season. The B1G looks like the Big East usually does sending their unranked conference winner to a BCS bowl. The B1G is not good at all this year which makes it a little difficult to just look at wins when determining if this is Bo's best season. Bo was brought here to fix the defense which is exactly what TO said in why Bo got the nod over Gill. This year, we broke a several decade old record for most yards allowed in a game against UCLA. Against Wisconsin, we broke the record for the most yards rushing ever given up. I'm sorry, but there's no way this season can be declared Bo's best season at NU.

i agree with a lot of what you said, especially about the B1G being so weak. however, the offense is as good as it has ever been under bo and i think our defense, although pathetic at teams this year, can turn it around quickly. looking at the whole season, i still argue this is his best. '09 the north was weak and we got spanked by ttu and lost to iowa st., but we played a good game against a good team in the championship. this year, we won the better division, but shat the bed in the champ game. the lows were bad, really bad, but overall we were more consistent and on the whole a better team.

bo proved he can coach a top defense in '09 and a great offense this year. he needs to put it together and it start with line play and getting the personnel he needs on defense.

Our offense this year isn't even in the same league as our defense was in 09'. The guy leading our offense leads the nation in fumbles, and he has for three years now. Our offense might be good, but they're not even close to the defense we had in 09'. We did not really win the better division this year. Ohio State finished the season undefeated and completely took us to the shed. Ohio State is clearly the best team in the B1G this year, and I wouldn't give them a great chance at beating a handful of SEC teams this year.

I'm not in the fire Bo camp, but his coaching a top defense in 09' came at the hands of BC recruits. The last two years, our defense has been extremey subpar. Our defense this year is breaking the kind of records no coach wants to break. Next year, we're going to see several new faces on the defense. I don't hold any grand illusions we're going to see drastic improvement. If we do, then one has to ask why we wasted this year having those guys riding the pine?

I don't know. That 09' team was dominant. That 09' team was just as close to being 13-1 as this team is to being 7-7.

the defense was, but the offense was more of a joke than the defense is this year.

i disagree. giving up 68 and 70 is like scoring 0 and 3. and it's a "team" sport.

i know it is a team sport, that is why bo needs to put it together. i also know that our offense is turnover prone and in those games we gave up 60-70 the opposing defense scored some of those points.

I guess what it really comes down to is whether one would rather have a $hitty offense and a stellar defense where in a loss the score looks like 3-7 or whether one would rather have a good offense and a $hitty defense where in a loss the score looks like 31-70? Personally, I prefer the first one which is why I never was a BC supporter. Some people on the other hand would rather have the second one which leads to more boom and bust games.

I guess what it really comes down to is whether one would rather have a $hitty offense and a stellar defense where in a loss the score looks like 3-7 or whether one would rather have a good offense and a $hitty defense where in a loss the score looks like 31-70? Personally, I prefer the first one which is why I never was a BC supporter. Some people on the other hand would rather have the second one which leads to more boom and bust games.

that is not my point at all. my point is that bo has proven that he can coach a stellar defense right here at nu and that in his tenure he has fielded a pretty goo offense. so it is odd to me for people to be calling for his head. this program is in a better position it was when bo got here and he is still learning. he needs to improve his personnel on defense and coach to their strengths, but we are going in the right direction. slowly, but steadily.

As disappointed as I am in Bo absouletly NOT!

There is nobody better than Bo available or that would leave current coaching jobs (Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St...etc) and come here.

As unhappy as I maybe right now I think we see what 2013 brings.

Bo needs to take a deep look at his staff around him....why all the mental mistakes and turnovers?

The blackshirts need to start creating turnovers too....I want to see an LSU style Defense on the field flying around taking heads off.

Like I said earlier this team needs to light a fire. Somebody like a Polk out there crawling around barking like a dog.

Bo has done enough that no matter how next year goes he will be safe.....no joke!

Please don't fire BO! We should be raising Division CHAMPIONSHIP banners! Thanks for all the memories this season BO. When Northwestern missed that kick to start the big six game win streak I couldn't get to Wriglyville fast enought to part at a bar with a Sker N outside and drinks some shots of Silver Patron! The team is so close to being the premier team in the B10, lets just give BO a chance to finish the job. I honestly think the 3 out of 4 years with a division championship is a huge accomplishment and TO needs to wrap up BO for a similar amount of time Iowa has Ferenz for. BO is so much better than Kirk. Look at where the program's have gone for Texas and Nebraska since the epic B12 title clash. Texas has gone straight down to the dumps and the Skers are back to being a ten win program! Give BO time and he will have more National Championships than TO. Keep in mind the players being recruited now are players who are being recruited to a double digit win program. The guys on the team were recruited to a 6 win team. I predict with the new and better recruites BO has that the Skers will be ready to compete for a national title by the time the playoffs come around. In the mean time lets charish these division titles and appreciate what we have! A sleeping giant of a program that is ready to bounce back to the elite of college football! GO SKERS!