Is Bo Pelini's seat hot?

Excel

Bo Pelini hot seat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are several program-changing coaches out there who would leap at the chance to inherit Nebraska's legacy and facilities.

You just don't know who they are, yet.

They've turned around moribund football programs at smaller colleges and universities, and taken second and third tier recruits and gotten them to play out of their heads. That's the skill set you care about.

They haven't proved themselves at the Division 1 head-coaching level yet, but they are at the same place every college football coaching great was early in his career.

They're hungrier. They're cheaper. And they welcome the challenge.

Like most big rewards in life it involves a risk.

The two bold lines describe Bo Pelini to a "T" this time five years ago. Aside from the previous line about turning around moribund programs at other levels, that's Bo. Instead of doing that, he had a track record of fantastic defenses heading into his hire at Nebraska, including a ridiculous LSU defense that he was in the midst of guiding to a national championship.

Or to put it another way, it probably feels better to be a Wisconsin fan than a Nebraska fan right now, regardless of the record.

Given the situation that Wisconsin's in this year, I'd rather be where they are, 7-5 and playing in a BCS bowl, than where we are, 10-3 and playing in a mid-tier bowl game.

There are several program-changing coaches out there who would leap at the chance to inherit Nebraska's legacy and facilities.

They've turned around moribund football programs at smaller colleges and universities, and taken second and third tier recruits and gotten them to play out of their heads. That's the skill set you care about.

They haven't proved themselves at the Division 1 head-coaching level yet, but they are at the same place every college football coaching great was early in his career.

The two bold lines describe Bo Pelini to a "T" this time five years ago. Aside from the previous line about turning around moribund programs at other levels, that's Bo. Instead of doing that, he had a track record of fantastic defenses heading into his hire at Nebraska, including a ridiculous LSU defense that he was in the midst of guiding to a national championship.

Well the previous line about head coaches turning around small moribund programs and getting a lot out of lower tier talent is still a significant difference from a coordinator who walked into a major conference powerhouse.

Bo wasn't a risky pick. I thought he was a good pick at the time. Now he's not even a defensive genius -- the part we thought was guaranteed.

Point remains that you don't have to go for the sexy hire, luring the existing head coach from a successful major conference team. That has risks as well. There's plenty of exciting young coaching talent who would take Nebraska and all the huge expecations in a heartbeat.

And there are teams who would jump at the chance to hire Bo Pelini and his string of 9 win seasons, but I'm guessing none of them are in the Top 20.

Well the previous line about head coaches turning around small moribund programs and getting a lot out of lower tier talent is still a significant difference from a coordinator who walked into a major conference powerhouse.

Bo wasn't a risky pick. I thought he was a good pick at the time. Now he's not even a defensive genius -- the part we thought was guaranteed.

Point remains that you don't have to go for the sexy hire, luring the existing head coach from a successful major conference team. That has risks as well. There's plenty of exciting young coaching talent who would take Nebraska and all the huge expecations in a heartbeat.

And there are teams who would jump at the chance to hire Bo Pelini and his string of 9 win seasons, but I'm guessing none of them are in the Top 20.

If you're saying we need the football equivalent of Tim Miles, I agree with you. It remains to be seen if we need to go that route, and if we do, whether or not we could find that guy.

If you're saying we need the football equivalent of Tim Miles, I agree with you. It remains to be seen if we need to go that route, and if we do, whether or not we could find that guy.

That's exactly the type of hire we need. I dont want a sexy name or a retread, we need a coach who is a proven winner at a lesser school. NC St just got a good one in Dave Doeren, now we need to find that guy.

two beat-downs and an away game against a quality opponent we should have beat; this is still bo's best season. is this the type of season a coach wants to hang his hat on? no, but i still see improvement from when bo got here. any way you slice, we would look like lunatics to get rid of bo right now. and frankly, if he does leave, for whatever reason, we will deserve whatever we get.

I just can't agree with this. There is no way this season will be Bo's best season unless we dismantle Georgia. In 09', we finished the season extremely strong. We lost by one flipping second in the Big 12 Championship game to a team that went on to play for a NC. I can't for the life of me even begin to understand how losing to an unranked team as bad as we did in the second to last game of the season makes this Bo's best season. The B1G looks like the Big East usually does sending their unranked conference winner to a BCS bowl. The B1G is not good at all this year which makes it a little difficult to just look at wins when determining if this is Bo's best season. Bo was brought here to fix the defense which is exactly what TO said in why Bo got the nod over Gill. This year, we broke a several decade old record for most yards allowed in a game against UCLA. Against Wisconsin, we broke the record for the most yards rushing ever given up. I'm sorry, but there's no way this season can be declared Bo's best season at NU.

i agree with a lot of what you said, especially about the B1G being so weak. however, the offense is as good as it has ever been under bo and i think our defense, although pathetic at teams this year, can turn it around quickly. looking at the whole season, i still argue this is his best. '09 the north was weak and we got spanked by ttu and lost to iowa st., but we played a good game against a good team in the championship. this year, we won the better division, but shat the bed in the champ game. the lows were bad, really bad, but overall we were more consistent and on the whole a better team.

bo proved he can coach a top defense in '09 and a great offense this year. he needs to put it together and it start with line play and getting the personnel he needs on defense.

Here is my problem. Look at that roster in 09, how many were future NFL players? Suh,Gomes,Dennard,Amukarama,Hagg,Crick,Dillard. Didnt Allen have a good shot at making a roster before injury? So 7.5, how many who get pt on this roster will play on Sundays? Maybe Evans, Green? How hard is it to coach a D that is pretty much NFL ready? He can coach up talent but judging from his recruting this far he will never have that much talent again. So put me on the page that says he will never do better then getting destroyed 3 or 4 times a year.

I think Bo will begin to excel in recruiting. The staff is finally set. Cotton may go but Garrison is ready. Both coordinators are solidly loyal to the program. People forget that bo's had to learn how to be a head coach and I honestly think we are seeing the signs of success. This class of recruits is far from over, the depth is finally being established and don't forget this years o-line were mostly walk ons. Another sign of getting back on track. The walk on program is a huge benefit. My prediction, 10 plus wins will become the norm but until the ncaa steps in and smashes the cheating ways allowed in the SEC, having Michigan, Ohio state and Nebraska competing for at large births, may result in 10 wins not earning a BCS bid. We do have the 4 team play off soon starting so maybe, who knows, the BCS might be soon ending anyway.

I think Bo will begin to excel in recruiting. The staff is finally set. Cotton may go but Garrison is ready. Both coordinators are solidly loyal to the program. People forget that bo's had to learn how to be a head coach and I honestly think we are seeing the signs of success. This class of recruits is far from over, the depth is finally being established and don't forget this years o-line were mostly walk ons. Another sign of getting back on track. The walk on program is a huge benefit. My prediction, 10 plus wins will become the norm but until the ncaa steps in and smashes the cheating ways allowed in the SEC, having Michigan, Ohio state and Nebraska competing for at large births, may result in 10 wins not earning a BCS bid. We do have the 4 team play off soon starting so maybe, who knows, the BCS might be soon ending anyway.

Solidly loyal to the program? Beck is looking for a HC gig and Pap doesn't do anything but signal in the plays. In all honesty we could can all of our ACs and upgrade easily. We opened the wallet for eichorst time to do it for the money maker.