Is Bo Pelini's seat hot?

Excel

Bo Pelini hot seat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted slightly warm, but I might still be caught up in the emotion of last week. What I do know is that Bo hasn't bought himself much goodwill with the way he treats the media and downplays the importance of the fans. I could care less about that stuff if he wins, but it makes it much easier to turn against him if things head south. Unless we go under .500, I think it would take multiple subpar years to fire him though.

Also, I think we fans have been plenty patient with Bo. In fact, after the Callahan years, we were willing to give more time than most programs would. How much time is enough? What is the standard that we expect? 9 wins is good enough for me. 2004-2007 is still fresh to me.

Yes, it's warm right now because of that defensive performance and because Nebraska fans don't have alot of patience. He better hope the changes he's going to make, if any, next Saturday work. I just think he needs some experienced coordinators and he'd be fine.

Patience with not winning? What is this patience that you speak of?

We expect a conference championship and to compete for a national title basically every year. We have unrealistic expectations sometimes, but we don't really care. That's what I mean...............

I think that the husker fan that knows whats going on (not the football fan that knows whats going on, the nebraska football fan that knows whats going on) doesn't expect winning [necessarily]. We expect you to wear it, eat it, sleep it, breath it, etc. Own it. We don't expect winning on the game field even though we want it. There is a difference. We expect excellence on the practice field. The winning part is secondary. How do we know when we are excellent on the practice field? We compete on Saturday's. We don't get pushed around all night long up front. We make a tackle, not because our life depends on it... because our brothers' lives depend on it.

So by what you're saying, if we took every team to the end of the game................played them physically to the level of exhaustion and were competitive in every game, but for whatever reason lost those games, that's okay? Not implying that's what you're saying, that's how I'm reading it right now.

I voted slightly warm, but I might still be caught up in the emotion of last week. What I do know is that Bo hasn't bought himself much goodwill with the way he treats the media and downplays the importance of the fans. I could care less about that stuff if he wins, but it makes it much easier to turn against him if things head south. Unless we go under .500, I think it would take multiple subpar years to fire him though.

Also, I think we fans have been plenty patient with Bo. In fact, after the Callahan years, we were willing to give more time than most programs would. How much time is enough? What is the standard that we expect? 9 wins is good enough for me. 2004-2007 is still fresh to me.

Agreed.

Yes, it's warm right now because of that defensive performance and because Nebraska fans don't have alot of patience. He better hope the changes he's going to make, if any, next Saturday work. I just think he needs some experienced coordinators and he'd be fine.

Patience with not winning? What is this patience that you speak of?

We expect a conference championship and to compete for a national title basically every year. We have unrealistic expectations sometimes, but we don't really care. That's what I mean...............

I'd settle for a couple conference championships a decade and I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Personally, I'm more a husker baseball fan then football fan so I probably shouldn't post at all. I think every coach should be given at least 2 years of his/her recruits. Therefore I think this topic is rather foolish. Bo, in his 5th year now is playing only his recruits for the first time. Next year will be his 2nd year of gaming with only his recruits and in my theory, it wouldn't be until 2014 season that his seat should be discussed.

What I think is lacking in Bo's arsenal is his inability to land offensive and defensive linemen. I say that however with some sh-grin because I know he's managed to get some OL talent in this years class. Will he also manage to get a 4/5 star DT?

Also, our DB's aren't what we are accustomed too. Will they develop under Joseph? (Losing Sanders has been a huge loss)

Am I frustrated, yes.. so much so that I've decided to mow the lawn, milk the cows, give the wife a pickle tickle while the game is on and tape it. If we win, watch, lose, burn.. but remain patient for the next 2 seasons. Come the 3rd season and still the same issues.. well, then I will likely want the seat discussion to be loud. For now though, patience is needed.

Personally, I'm more a husker baseball fan then football fan so I probably shouldn't post at all.

Sir, I'm sorry, but we're going to have to ask you to leave this thread. First, you're a baseball fan, and this is a football thread. Second, you're being logical and calm, and we're looking for hysteria and panic right now. Third, the cows need milking.

Right now its warm. Last year was a regression. And so far this year is looking like another step or two back.

Things could very quickly go the way of 2007. Unless the defense has massive improvements its possible Bo goes "O for October" Right now, I don't think anyone can honestly say a losing season could not happen. If the defense continues to allow Cosgrovian or worse numbers, there is strong possibility of a 4 game losing streak in the middle of the season, I expect to be dogs in 3 of the 4 to be honest, possibly all 4 depending on what we look like going into Northwestern week.

Should the wheels come all the way off, and Bo ends up 5-7...Well lets just say a losing season in year 5 with all your own guys is not a good way to keep your job.

Few seasons breathing room. I'd like to think T.O. is a little more patient and reasonable than the folks that crawl out of the woodwork to vent on message boards after a tough loss.

I agree! And TO knows how ridiculous HuskerNation can be. This works in Bos favor.

Few seasons breathing room. I'd like to think T.O. is a little more patient and reasonable than the folks that crawl out of the woodwork to vent on message boards after a tough loss.

I agree! And TO knows how ridiculous HuskerNation can be. This works in Bos favor.

Perhaps --- but it does not work well in HuskerNation's favor at all...

Right now its warm. Last year was a regression. And so far this year is looking like another step or two back.

Things could very quickly go the way of 2007. Unless the defense has massive improvements its possible Bo goes "O for October" Right now, I don't think anyone can honestly say a losing season could not happen. If the defense continues to allow Cosgrovian or worse numbers, there is strong possibility of a 4 game losing streak in the middle of the season, I expect to be dogs in 3 of the 4 to be honest, possibly all 4 depending on what we look like going into Northwestern week.

Should the wheels come all the way off, and Bo ends up 5-7...Well lets just say a losing season in year 5 with all your own guys is not a good way to keep your job.

This is pretty much how I feel. I said before the season our max win total would be 8, and that losing 4 straight in the middle of the season was a distinct possibility. People called me crazy, stupid, retarded, etc. We shall see.

Just prepare to be ridiculed for saying this "only 2 games into the season."

• 2 months later...

I am new here so here it is, I am 53 years old and am a diehard Husker fan. I have been here through all the bad and good times. I couldn't vote because my category isn't up there. I think his seat just got extremely hot, with Dr. Tom retiring and the new AD as an outsider. The loss to Wisky last night was horrible. My opinion is one based on facts, Bo looks like a hick chomping on that wad of gum, then the constant screaming at the ref's, (you get no love when you do that), then comes his constant screaming at the players. I see it in their eye's they just quit on him. Bo's demenor has totally turned me off and quite frankly I am embarrassed by him. For heavens sake these are kid's, they need to be coached not demeaned or yelled at all the time. We will be great again, I have been down this road many times but never thought I would witness total loss of composure on our staff. Bo has been here 5 years and this is his recruiting class, we are stagnant as long as he is here and many of us want this nightmare to end. Put simply, Bo can't win the big game, never has and never will. So much tradition has gone down the drain since Callahan and Bo, last night another bit the dust in yards allowed.