What others are saying about Nebraska.

Even Minnesota was good at a point in time and I would bet they will have another run of success at sometime in the future. Never is a very long time. Nebraska will be back and LSU will be our bowl bitch once again at some point.

BTW- that "then Boom! We're Iowa" really made me laugh. Not because it could or couldn't come true- just because it was a good shot at Iowa.

Now I don't agree with never, but it will be a little while longer. About recruits, yes it's hard to get 5 star guys here even if we do get on a run and I'm sorry we aren't going to pull in a big time coach to change that. People are mad with Bo's recruiting and that these guys are now his recruits so we should be good. We need to remember he was trying to recruit off a 5-7 record left from the coach who shall remain nameless, but also just one 8-4 seasons wasn't going to bring talent running into Lincoln. What we have done is show we can win consistently and go 9-3, 8-4, 10-2. We have gotten better talent look at last year Kenny Bell as a freshman lead the team with catching, Ameer will be a star in his time, and we've heard about the defensive guys that hopefully we are going to see more of. I'm glad Bo has stepped back after Saturday and wants to reassess the defense and who we have on the field. He believes in the 2 gap system and yes he's kind of stubborn about making it work, but he's realized the problem and him and JT says it will be fixed. I believe they'll find a way to be sucessful.

Good points but I think college football will always have a unique niche here. Obviously we have Volleyball and CWS but basically this is it and no matter how bad we think it gets the absence of it will seem worse. I hope that will always draw the right kind of coaches and players here. I see droughts, but I would be surprised to see us fade away for good.

Good points but I think college football will always have a unique niche here. Obviously we have Volleyball and CWS but basically this is it and no matter how bad we think it gets the absence of it will seem worse. I hope that will always draw the right kind of coaches and players here. I see droughts, but I would be surprised to see us fade away for good.

agreed. also, as long as the program has money coming in, we will be just fine.

Never is a strong word considering most of the teams that are currenlty considered to be "elite" have had their own periods of mediocrity and devloution following a stretch of exceptionalism. I would be very happy to see long periods of 8-10 win seasons capped by occassional runs at the title. Consistency like that is far more likely to produce the environment in which you capture all those truly special elements necessary to dominate and rack up National Titles over a 4 or 5 year period.

I also think that "elite" is a term that gets thrown around too much these days anyway. Seems to always be on the tail end of the ESPN language train, with "physicality" up front and "trickeration" in the middle.

Programs can be dominant or overpowering for a few seasons, but "elite" status IMHO, is more reserved for those teams and programs that come around once every few decades. The true 1%ers. At any rate, I believe NU will not be irrelevant nor obscure in the coming years, and given sound program management has the potential to develop the environment in which we witness another "elite" run.

• Fire 1

I think CFB it a lot like golf now, in the sense that programs capable of dominating for long periods of time will be a thing of the past, just like we'll never see another Nicklaus or Woods. None of the "elite" coaches want to be lifers at an institution, they want to win, get paid, and play golf in the Bahamas. Lucrative TV deals that spread money around more evenly in conferences are enabling the smaller programs to improve facilities and bring in better staffs, which means a lot more spoilers and possibly perfect storm years. Spread offenses don't need NFL caliber QB's and lineman to be highly productive.

Anyway, I just don't put too much stock in anyone's year to year predictions. We have the money, facilities, and commitment to be good, and have better odds at a historic year than probably 75% of the AQ programs.

When have any of us, cared about how the college football world perceives us?

Well, Nebraska getting trashed by ESPN talking heads certainly gets a lot of talk here. So do sites that put up previews/predictions of what people think the upcoming game will be like. So I'd say, yeah, quite a few people around here actually do care what the football world thinks of us.

ladyhawke,

I agree. I for one would love to see Nebraska come back. What is good for Nebraska is good for the whole conference. As far a "bad hair day" we have had our share over the years as well. When we play you guys, it will be a dog fight. We have issues on our team, our backfield is depleted, our defensive backs are blowing assignments, and our offensive line is not blocking. We better hope we bring our "A" game when Nebraska visits the Shoe.

I've read several of your posts now. You are the kind of fan from an opposing team I love to read on our board. Thanks for your contribution and welcome.

Well, Nebraska getting trashed by ESPN talking heads certainly gets a lot of talk here.

So we should care that the ESPN talking heads are trashing us? They're stating something that was plain as day from what we all saw last Saturday?

So I'd say, yeah, quite a few people around here actually do care what the football world thinks of us.

Thats a very high school attitude...