Time for forced attrition??

C N Red

I have not been a fan of this, but I'm starting to wonder if this needs to start being done here. The fact is there are guys on scholly that will never see the field, but aren't going to leave b/c they are getting their school paid for. Many teams pull schollies of players not contributing to make room for more new recruits, and those teams seem to have been doing pretty well over the past 10-15 years.

Is this something Nebraska needs to start thinking about doing??

YES! The only exception should be if the kid is a hardworker. If they have attitude problems if they bring down the team yank 'em. These are students before athletes and if they aren't working hard in the class room yank 'em. We need kids who want to be there and try in every phase of the college level.

We cant even fill our roster without giving 5 walk on scholarships, let alone cutting players to make room for others. We will really struggle to get 25 and we should be taking 28.

p.s. this may be the most negative thing ive ever said but its the truth. We dont have players knocking on our doors like the schools you mentioned.

Absolutely not. In fact, the NCAA needs to put their foot down on this that unless disciplinary or injury issues prevent the player from playing all four years, scholarships are to be upheld for 4 years. Then if the player has one more year of eligibility and the coach would like, THEN he can cut the player and not renew the scholly.

Bo just said this recently, and I agree with him, that in most cases it's not the kid's fault that things don't pan out when they are here. It's the coaches that evaluate the players, and if they aren't what the coach thought they were, it's not the kid's fault. It's somewhat sleazy to think otherwise.

• Fire 7

Absolutely not. In fact, the NCAA needs to put their foot down on this that unless disciplinary or injury issues prevent the player from playing all four years, scholarships are to be upheld for 4 years. Then if the player has one more year of eligibility and the coach would like, THEN he can cut the player and not renew the scholly.

Bo just said this recently, and I agree with him, that in most cases it's not the kid's fault that things don't pan out when they are here. It's the coaches that evaluate the players, and if they aren't what the coach thought they were, it's not the kid's fault. It's somewhat sleazy to think otherwise.

I agree with your statement wholeheartedly! I'm not saying that we need to change just to "keep up with the Jones'", but if other teams are doing this it will put us at a disadvantage. Once again, I'm not saying that we need to do it, but maybe the NCAA needs to step in on this issue and mandate that all schools abide by a certain policy in this case.

Forced? Who needs *forced* attrition? Chase Rome walks out

Alright, this is starting to get suspicious. I know with Klatch, and Green, and Moore we were all for them leaving as they had an entitlement attitude, or couldn't keep their "rage" under control ;)...

But Rome always seemed like a good kid. I remember how many people were excited about his martial arts background and how that could help him on the DL. But if he's now gone.... Something strange has got to be going on. We're hemorrhaging players at an alarming, PSU-like rate, and something ain't adding up.

When was the last time you could remember someone leaving the team for something other than medical reasons mid-season. The last one I can remember before this season was Blake Lawrence, and he was definitely for injury reasons. And it's not like these guys are scrubs who haven't played for us. Green played (albeit, just a little) as a true frosh. Moore was set to be our starting LT. Rome was our second or third most experienced DT.

I like Bo's mentality alot, but if he is truly causing all these guys to leave the team by pissing them off somehow, he may be building his own grave. You cannot have starting caliber talent just continue to up and quit your team because you're being stubborn in the way you do things. I definitely think that the head coach and even any of the position coaches should definitely be in control and have authority over the players, but there's a fine line they seem to be walking.

• Fire 1

Alright, this is starting to get suspicious. I know with Klatch, and Green, and Moore we were all for them leaving as they had an entitlement attitude, or couldn't keep their "rage" under control ;)...

But Rome always seemed like a good kid. I remember how many people were excited about his martial arts background and how that could help him on the DL. But if he's now gone.... Something strange has got to be going on. We're hemorrhaging players at an alarming, PSU-like rate, and something ain't adding up.

When was the last time you could remember someone leaving the team for something other than medical reasons mid-season. The last one I can remember before this season was Blake Lawrence, and he was definitely for injury reasons. And it's not like these guys are scrubs who haven't played for us. Green played (albeit, just a little) as a true frosh. Moore was set to be our starting LT. Rome was our second or third most experienced DT.

I like Bo's mentality alot, but if he is truly causing all these guys to leave the team by pissing them off somehow, he may be building his own grave. You cannot have starting caliber talent just continue to up and quit your team because you're being stubborn in the way you do things. I definitely think that the head coach and even any of the position coaches should definitely be in control and have authority over the players, but there's a fine line they seem to be walking.

You raise a good point. In years past it seems like we didn't lose near as many during the season. Sure we'd lose the occasional guy in the offseason. But not many while the season was underway. Deangelo Evans comes to mind. I'm hard pressed to think of others.

• Fire 1

You raise a good point. In years past it seems like we didn't lose near as many during the season. Sure we'd lose the occasional guy in the offseason. But not many while the season was underway. Deangelo Evans comes to mind. I'm hard pressed to think of others.

Which just makes me question... what has changed?

What exactly in the structure of our team or the way it's run has changed so drastically that is causing guys to just up and walk away? I'm at a loss.

What exactly in the structure of our team or the way it's run has changed so drastically that is causing guys to just up and walk away? I'm at a loss.

We had a couple of qb's leave in the past

We had a couple of qb's leave in the past

Well yeah, Pat Witt left when he lost out on the starting spot. And of course there's Harrison Beck. I don't recall anybody else, though, and I think QB is a bit of a different beast than any other position on the football team. There is no rotation. Unless we're blowing out some team or getting blown out ourselves, one guy alone is going to take ALL the snaps.

Rome has so far underachieved, so if he is gone, then farewell to him. It just opens up a spot to sign another player in the next recruiting class who could potentially come in and make a difference.

I wouldn't call Rome an underachiever. He started as a freshman (due to injury) and was a key contributor as a sophomore. Calling him a quitter would be fair though. He was obviously displeased about being pushed for playing time and quit. About the same as Moore and not that different from green. Sucks to lose talented kids, and I wish every one had stuck it out and kept fighting, but that sort of attitude is hardly compatible with the mental attitude Bo preaches as part of building a winning culture. Maybe it's something to do with the younger, instant gratification generations, but it's disappointing either way.

And no, we shouldn't run off kids that put in the work and do the right thing just because they're not good enough. Leave that to sleazy programs. It is one of our few recruiting advantages that we will treat your kid right as long as he holds up his end. Of course, that doesn't mean we can't have frank discussions with kids about their prospects for future playing time and the possibility they could play more somewhere else.