Cam Meredith: does he keep his starting position?

Second, I don't know where this scheme-bashing on David is coming from.

Can't speak for Foppa but I'm not trying to scheme-bash him. He practically WAS the scheme. My point was that even if he did make mistakes, he had the speed and athleticism to make up for it. The players we have on the field right now don't really have that luxury - if say Compton is out of position he is too slow to recover.

(I wasn't specifically calling you out, just wanted to put all my thoughts in one post :) )

True words about David, and I think you have a point about Compton. The good news is that he's still a pretty good player and still leading the team in tackles, or at the very least one of the top tacklers. If he had more athleticism, he'd be a fantastic player.

I didn't pay that close of attention to Cam, but I'm not really all that thrilled with him or Steinkuhler. Two very underwhelming players, and Ankrah has been too for much of this season.

I've been saying it forever, Baker is the most overrated player on our D, he got Five stars because of that last name

He also got five stars because most people thought he would play OFFENSIVE line...

Eric Martin along with Stafford are to only guys I see on D who want to hit somebody. I have watched Cam dancing with O-linemen long enough.

That's what I was going to say.

The blackshirts need to get back to doing psychological damage of laying people out. "Attacking Defense", and hitting people. Smackdown, etc.

Whoever can do that needs to be in the game. I'm even ok with a missed tackle because someone was trying to destroy an offensive player, now and then (I think Stafford did that today?).

More hits, more good.

Second, I don't know where this scheme-bashing on David is coming from.

Can't speak for Foppa but I'm not trying to scheme-bash him. He practically WAS the scheme. My point was that even if he did make mistakes, he had the speed and athleticism to make up for it. The players we have on the field right now don't really have that luxury - if say Compton is out of position he is too slow to recover.

(I wasn't specifically calling you out, just wanted to put all my thoughts in one post :) )

True words about David, and I think you have a point about Compton. The good news is that he's still a pretty good player and still leading the team in tackles, or at the very least one of the top tacklers. If he had more athleticism, he'd be a fantastic player.

Absolutely. And really one of Compton's main strengths is his brain, knowing where he should be and how to get there.

I really don't like to call out players for reasons I have explained before, but I did want to comment on Steinkuhler. Not to slam him, but to agree with what some have said here. He was a 5 star, and they don't give out stars for last names...there have been plenty of kids of great players who were not highly rated out of high school. But, as some have said, he was a two-way player in high school and I may be wrong (although I am sure someone will look it up and try to prove me wrong), but as some have said above, I think his rating came from his O-line play. I am affraid his REAL talent may have been wasted on the D-line. D-line takes a certain attitude, and I am not sure Baker has it.

I would also like to agree that I am happy to see Martin and Carter play so well (Jackson too). I don't have the defensive playbook here in front of me, so maybe they were out of position from time-to-time, but what good is it to be in the right place all the time if you aren't making the plays? These guys are fast, athletic, and they make plays...That is what you want to see on D.

That's why I'm not calling him 'dumb'. I remember Bo ripping David a new one for being out of position, but it usually only happened once a game. Why? Because coach can't rip on a guy that's making plays and 16-17 tackles a game even if he's lining up in the 24th row of the student section. The guy is fast and has the gift of great instincts. You don't have to look very far to see that that isn't a commodity at Nebraska on defense this year.

Dare I say David could read offenses better than Bo? Or knew where the play (specifically the ball) was going? Not going to go there, but often times my buddies and I would laugh at Bo for yelling at David when we all knew the guy was going to make the most tackles on the team.

I would also like to agree that I am happy to see Martin and Carter play so well (Jackson too). I don't have the defensive playbook here in front of me, so maybe they were out of position from time-to-time, but what good does it take to be in the right place all the time if you aren't making the plays? These guys are fast, athletic, and they make plays...That is what you want to see on D.

That's one of the biggest issues with fans right now - there are tons of guys who come out and make plays (Martin being a good example) who end up not playing because of screwed up schematic issues. The coaches are probably looking at the film, seeing guys like Martin make big plays, but then also wiffing it several times on other plays. They then keep guys in like Meredith/Steinkuhler, who may not be making a lot of plays, but they're not making big mistakes either.

That said, this was the most fun defensive performance I've watched this year (especially in the second half). And the people responsible were a lot of inexperienced guys, who put their bodies on the line to make big plays and put together our best defensive performance of the year so far. If that's not enough reason to see that some older guys just aren't getting it done, I don't know what is.

I would also like to agree that I am happy to see Martin and Carter play so well (Jackson too). I don't have the defensive playbook here in front of me, so maybe they were out of position from time-to-time, but what good does it take to be in the right place all the time if you aren't making the plays? These guys are fast, athletic, and they make plays...That is what you want to see on D.

That's one of the biggest issues with fans right now - there are tons of guys who come out and make plays (Martin being a good example) who end up not playing because of screwed up schematic issues. The coaches are probably looking at the film, seeing guys like Martin make big plays, but then also wiffing it several times on other plays. They then keep guys in like Meredith/Steinkuhler, who may not be making a lot of plays, but they're not making big mistakes either.

That said, this was the most fun defensive performance I've watched this year (especially in the second half). And the people responsible were a lot of inexperienced guys, who put their bodies on the line to make big plays and put together our best defensive performance of the year so far. If that's not enough reason to see that some older guys just aren't getting it done, I don't know what is.

I think the coaching staff has a stubborn streak which is why some of these more athletic guys haven't played so much. Eric Martin has the quickness we need so desparately at that position yet palyed so little up to now. I still think Cam and Steinkuler start regardless, but hopefully others like Martin will get more and more reps.

there is no reason to start cameron meradith. he is slow and unathletic for DE.

baker is also soft and slow.

let the younger, more athletic players get snaps. so what if they aren't as well versed in the playbook, they are athletes.

There was a play in the first half, where Meredith was chasing a sweep, it looked to bad like a turtle chasing after a jaguar. Smh, why is this fool even trying.

Eric Martin along with Stafford are to only guys I see on D who want to hit somebody. I have watched Cam dancing with O-linemen long enough.

That's what I was going to say.

The blackshirts need to get back to doing psychological damage of laying people out. "Attacking Defense", and hitting people. Smackdown, etc.

Whoever can do that needs to be in the game. I'm even ok with a missed tackle because someone was trying to destroy an offensive player, now and then (I think Stafford did that today?).

More hits, more good.

How bout another guy who can hit people. Remember Courtney Osborne? I think he is a regular on kick return, but that is for another thread.

Another thought, what the hell happened to this guy? I remember see a young Cam sub in late '09 screeming off the edge and looking to destroy QB's. Now he gained 30 pounds and cant move. This guy was poorly developed.

No one was blocking him because Suh was being quadruple-teamed.

I should have noted in '09 he was only getting mop-up duty when Suh was off the field.

Another thought, what the hell happened to this guy? I remember see a young Cam sub in late '09 screeming off the edge and looking to destroy QB's. Now he gained 30 pounds and cant move. This guy was poorly developed.

No one was blocking him because Suh was being quadruple-teamed.

I should have noted in '09 he was only getting mop-up duty when Suh was off the field.

And that was after Suh broke the will of the whole opposing offensive line.