Cam Meredith: does he keep his starting position?

Cam is a defensive end, guys. Put a mobile QB one-on-one vs a defensive end and they will out-maneuver them almost every time.

Only if they're slow and take bad angles.

I've seen tons of defensive ends with tremendous closing speed. He isn't one of them.

Might be a valid argument if we're talking about a LB down the field looking to make an open-field tackle of an oncoming ballcarrier....

...and not a defensive end charging forward towards a backpedaling or stationary quarterback who can sidestep and run.

Cam is a defensive end, guys. Put a mobile QB one-on-one vs a defensive end and they will out-maneuver them almost every time.

That isn't shocking...I mean, what do you expect?

The reason Wilson made that long run was because there wasn't really anybody else behind Meredith to that side of the field. When he reversed field he had plenty of space. Fisher made a far bigger whiff there.

Isn't Cam's job on that play to force the QB inside, where his other teammates are? Isn't that every defensive end's job?

That's what drives me crazy about Cam's playing, more than his lack of athleticism (which seems fairly average at this point, for a defensive end). It's the constant lack of containment - don't know if it's physical or mental, but it's like our defensive ends don't know where their help is going to be, or which gaps the linebackers have covered.

I've seen tons of defensive ends with tremendous closing speed. He isn't one of them.

Might be a valid argument if we're talking about a LB down the field looking to make an open-field tackle of an oncoming ballcarrier....

...and not a defensive end charging forward towards a backpedaling or stationary quarterback who can sidestep and run.

You Think.

That isn't shocking...I mean, what do you expect?

The reason Wilson made that long run was because there wasn't really anybody else behind Meredith to that side of the field. When he reversed field he had plenty of space. Fisher made a far bigger whiff there.

Isn't Cam's job on that play to force the QB inside, where his other teammates are? Isn't that every defensive end's job?

That's what drives me crazy about Cam's playing, more than his lack of athleticism (which seems fairly average at this point, for a defensive end). It's the constant lack of containment - don't know if it's physical or mental, but it's like our defensive ends don't know where their help is going to be, or which gaps the linebackers have covered.

yeah, I have to say this is probably a fair point. You got me there.

What???????? :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

Compared to most defensive ends I've seen play the game of football, Cam has no closing speed. Where's the confusion?

Make no mistake, the "argument" is valid.

Make no mistake, the "argument" is valid.

It all depends on how shifty the QB is. You see lots of sacks in the NFL because it is a league of mostly pocket passers with limited mobility and the DE's are by and large physical freaks if they're still playing at that level.

But I tend to agree with The Dude. Thinking back to the UCLA game... Ankrah at least got in position to make some tackles behind the LOS. He just whiffed when he got there. Cam doesn't even get close.

I just got around to reading this thread. I'd say:

1.) Enhance is good for a solid post pretty much every single time he comments.

2.) Meredith is maybe our fourth best DE. I'd take Martin, Ankrah, or Carter (probably in that order) over him every single time. It's a tough sell to point to schematics when he loses one-on-one battles basically every play. And he's bulkier than he was when he flashed a couple years ago, with zero tangible increase in strength. That trade off doesn't work: extra size, decrease in speed and lateral quickness, zero increase in strength. I don't think the kid is quitting or going through the motions, a la '07 LB's. I just think he's getting bullied all over the field, and we gotta get him out of there. His lack of impact is almost astonishing, if you watch him exclusively.

3.) The DT play is marginal at best. We have got to figure out a way to increase production...really from the whole line, but from the guys in the middle in particular. If that means playing the young kids, changing up what we do strategically, or some combination of both or something I'm not mentioning, I'm not smart enough to pinpoint the answer. But those guys aren't getting penetration, and they certainly aren't clogging up the running lanes or causing chaos for the opposing O-line.

4.) The talk about scheme reminds me of how much Osborne used to throw the football. The good coaches adapt. I think Bo earned his reputation as one of the top-tier defensive minds in college coaching on merit, not through a lottery drawing. What I'd like to see now is some adaptability. If the guys who understand the scheme are inferior athletically to guys who can't grasp the playbook but have the physical tools, can we make the desperately needed adjustments to get the play makers on the field? Seeing Martin out there, Santos, throwing in Zaire and Seisay are positive indicators to me.

5.) On a final note, Ciante Evans is quietly playing some damn good football right now. And SJB really intrigues me. I think he he has the potential to really stand out. We've seen the athleticism (OSU pick last year) and he's actually leveled a few surprisingly hard hits. Nothing against Mitchell, who hasn't been a liability, but SJB strikes me as a guy who could be great if he can put it all together.

• Fire 1

I didn't pay that close of attention to Cam, but I'm not really all that thrilled with him or Steinkuhler. Two very underwhelming players, and Ankrah has been too for much of this season.

I've been saying it forever, Baker is the most overrated player on our D, he got Five stars because of that last name

I don't seem to remember his brother getting the same star rating...

Another thought, what the hell happened to this guy? I remember see a young Cam sub in late '09 screeming off the edge and looking to destroy QB's. Now he gained 30 pounds and cant move. This guy was poorly developed.

No one was blocking him because Suh was being quadruple-teamed.

That doesn't explain his lack of speed now. In '09 he was flying to the ball; played with emotion; hit hard; made the tackles. Everything the fans were excited about in a DE, Cam had it. Now Cam barely goes thru the motions, is slow as hell, misses tackles and loses about 5 jocks each game. Something is not right about that guy. He should be the guy bringing the heat, a leader on the field, etc.

It's called the Cory McKeon effect...