Cam Meredith: does he keep his starting position?

Another thought, what the hell happened to this guy? I remember see a young Cam sub in late '09 screeming off the edge and looking to destroy QB's. Now he gained 30 pounds and cant move. This guy was poorly developed.

No one was blocking him because Suh was being quadruple-teamed.

That doesn't explain his lack of speed now. In '09 he was flying to the ball; played with emotion; hit hard; made the tackles. Everything the fans were excited about in a DE, Cam had it. Now Cam barely goes thru the motions, is slow as hell, misses tackles and loses about 5 jocks each game. Something is not right about that guy. He should be the guy bringing the heat, a leader on the field, etc.

• Fire 1

Seems like a lot of the times Cam gets outrun is when he flushes the QB out of the pocket, or is chasing a RB to the edge. Not too many big guys can outrun a RB or mobile QB in space. And don't use Suh as an example because he is not a mortal human being.

I didn't pay that close of attention to Cam, but I'm not really all that thrilled with him or Steinkuhler. Two very underwhelming players, and Ankrah has been too for much of this season.

WHAT?...... Ankrah is one of the most improved players on the team, is strong, athletic, and built like a brick shithouse.

IMO, Ankrah is the best DE, with Martin being the best pass rushing DE.

Agree. Martin played a lot because it was a spread team. He plays less against running teams.

Somewhat sadly, I think he does not keep his starting position. I was at the game today and spent most of the day with my binoculars following individual players. I don't question his heart or work, I'm afraid he just doesn't have the wheels to do the job. Ankrah sometimes overplayed, but it's not a matter of lack of speed with him. Carter looked very good too, a hitter. I do think Cam will keep seeing playing time, and if he does keep his starting position, he'll be off the field more often than on the field as the year progresses.

He is certainly a life time member of the "all 'stache team" though.

Somewhat sadly, I think he does not keep his starting position. I was at the game today and spent most of the day with my binoculars following individual players. I don't question his heart or work, I'm afraid he just doesn't have the wheels to do the job. Ankrah sometimes overplayed, but it's not a matter of lack of speed with him. Carter looked very good too, a hitter. I do think Cam will keep seeing playing time, and if he does keep his starting position, he'll be off the field more often than on the field as the year progresses.

He is certainly a life time member of the "all 'stache team" though.

Yeah he definitely should see the field but I'm really wondering if he should start and play as much as he does if there is someone faster and/or better sitting on the bench.

Seems like a lot of the times Cam gets outrun is when he flushes the QB out of the pocket, or is chasing a RB to the edge. Not too many big guys can outrun a RB or mobile QB in space.

What about the entire two deep at every SEC school?

I dunno. Cam would start at several SEC schools. They're great at the top of the conf. Bammy, LSU and a couple others are far better than anything in the B1G. But from the middle down the B1G is comparable. Cam would start at half the SEC schools.

I think Cam and Steinkuhler are remnants from a particular set of players that were recruited to play against big 12 offenses. We wonder why or LB's are slow? Our last year in the big 12 we had Gomes and Hagg who essentially played linebacker and a lot of times we only played 1 true LB. During that time, our D Line was getting pressure because A) Suh and B) coverage. Now that we don't play those teams and that type of D, its going to take a bit of time to get new blood in there.

Cam and Steinkuhler play because they're technically sound, are fully invested in the system, and often times do adquate jobs. Is it worth the downside? I'm not sure. If we learned anything from Chase Rome it's that the team is truly expected to compete every snap from practice to games. If they're not getting it done, I think they'll find some time on the bench.

I think Cam and Steinkuhler are remnants from a particular set of players that were recruited to play against big 12 offenses. We wonder why or LB's are slow? Our last year in the big 12 we had Gomes and Hagg who essentially played linebacker and a lot of times we only played 1 true LB. During that time, our D Line was getting pressure because A) Suh and B) coverage. Now that we don't play those teams and that type of D, its going to take a bit of time to get new blood in there.

I don't know if it's so much about the players, in this regard. We've had similar non conference opponents the last three years - opponents exclusive from the B1G - and we struggle. This leads me to believe two things - either our approach was changed over the last few years to better attack B1G offenses, and this approach has backfired, or the second thing is that our talent is just really lacking on the defensive line.

Another thought, what the hell happened to this guy? I remember see a young Cam sub in late '09 screeming off the edge and looking to destroy QB's. Now he gained 30 pounds and cant move. This guy was poorly developed.

I should have noted in '09 he was only getting mop-up duty when Suh was off the field.

We didn't have any mop-up duty in '09. If our offense scored 13 points, it was a great day.

That doesn't explain his lack of speed now. In '09 he was flying to the ball; played with emotion; hit hard; made the tackles. Everything the fans were excited about in a DE, Cam had it. Now Cam barely goes thru the motions, is slow as hell, misses tackles and loses about 5 jocks each game. Something is not right about that guy. He should be the guy bringing the heat, a leader on the field, etc.

I'll have to take you word for it. I remember Jason Peter fawning over him, but I don't particularly remember him doing anything to stand out. Other than having a cool mustache.