*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

I was watching the story about it on NBC and they interviewed a guy that had lost both parents in 2 separate plane crashes and he was in both and walked away. I would never fly again.

Just fly domestic commercial aviation. Hasn't been a death for almost 5 years. It's probably the safest form of transportation there is.

I was watching the story about it on NBC and they interviewed a guy that had lost both parents in 2 separate plane crashes and he was in both and walked away. I would never fly again.

Just fly domestic commercial aviation. Hasn't been a death for almost 5 years. It's probably the safest form of transportation there is.

The odds of losing both parents in separate plane crashes, with the person (child) also in the plane who survives both crashes, must be phenomenal. Like Megaball type odds.

Store owner installs surveillance cameras to spy on police

A Miami convenience store owner is fed up with his employees and customers being allegedly harassed by police. So he installs surveillance video to get evidence against the local cops.

LINK

This from a couple months back. Interesting that we're seeing surveillance video used to show actions by the cops now, not just the criminals. Interdasting.

Came home Friday evening and my wife says, "It seems cold in here." Great, our heater is on the fritz. I open the thing up to have a look and discover the inducer fan isn't kicking on. (The little fan that comes on first, not the big one.) The inducer fan motor doesn't turn freely, and appears to be shot. So I think, okay, no big deal--this won't cost much. I call our regular HVAC company. And they give me this whole somber, oh those things cost a lot, routine. They tell me it'll cost $300 for a new one, including the plastic assembly that fastens to the heater unit. I ask whether they can sell just the motor, and I'll come pick it up and install it. The motor alone is $200 from them. $200 for a little motor that weighs about two pounds! Seems a bit high to me. So I spend 10 minutes with Mr. Googly trying to find a cheaper one. I end up buying one on eBay for $30, (including shipping).

These f'ing HVAC repair companies. They know they have you over a barrel so they just totally screw you over whenever something goes wrong. They're about like hospitals when it comes to pricing. My regular HVAC company--the one who priced me $200 for a part that should cost about a third that much--is owned by a guy who lives four houses down the street. After I get done installing my $30 inducer motor I'm going to call those f'ers up and cancel my yearly service contract with them. I f'ing hate dishonest crooks like that who stick it to you when they sense an emergency. You'd think if I have an on-going business relationship with them they'd treat me fairly when an emergency occurs. But no, they just see $$ signs. f'ing crooks.

So in the mean time it's a bit chilly in my house. And it will be for a couple of days. We have a separate heating unit upstairs, so it's toasty warm up there. But the first floor and basement is without our regular heating unit. I have a small, indoor propane heater--Mr. Heater--and my fireplace. Right now I have a nice fire roaring, and I'm giving Mr. Heater the night off. It's 50 degrees, which really doesn't seem too bad.

/end rant.

• Fire 1