Direction of program in regards to recruiting and competing...

Moustache

It comes down to winning games. If Nebraska wins games, then there is no reason they can't recruit with the likes of Michigan, Ohio St., and the "daunting" SEC schools as well..... The OP was thoughtful, and well put, but it is a very narrow minded opinion, that doesn't look too far into the past, or too far into the future.... The OP seemed to have the assumption that Nebraska, and the B1G should accept the SEC for what it CURRENTLY is. I don't know if many of us can speak for the other B1G schools, but I promise you that as Nebraska fans, we EXPECT our team to get back to the level where we smack around the best programs. Yes, even the USC's, Florida's, and Alabama's of the world.

There is no reason Nebraska can't return to greatness, our school's location is not something new in the last decade. Winning takes care of everything. If we win, we get the best players, and become the best team.

The SEC can be beat (proof below):

top20_frazierrun.jpg72441368_display_image.jpg?1299013019

62-24

im all for the glory days..but come on that was soo f'ing long ago...... that happened 15 plus years ago.... we gotta honor our roots but keep an eye to the future... a lot has changed with regards to both the huskers and the SEC.......

FWIW, this is from an outsider's perspective. (LSU fan)

I see a lot of worrying about recruiting. Well, you guys really need to look at recruiting as it relates to your conference. The only teams in the big 10 that can consistently out recruit Nebraska is Michigan and Ohio State. With good coaching/scouting/development, you guys should be competing for a big 10 championship every 2-3 years.

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often. The key is not recruiting, as I think NU can recruit itself. But the key is going to be running a consistent system on BOTH sides of the ball and recruiting players to that system. Right now, I don't see that happening. I'm confident Bo can fix it, but he needs to decide if he is spread (air raid) or spread (option). On defense, he needs to play more speed.

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world, but you never recruited that many stars in the 90s and still whipped some consistent ass with good scouting, consistent systems on both sides of hte ball, and a 15-25 ranked recruiting class.

Welcome to the board. I pretty much agree with you. If we can maintain our recruiting and stay in the top 25 every year we'll be able to compete with anyone.

I just wish we could drastically oversign players and summarily cut the ones who don't pan out from our roster like certain unnamed (cough.....Alabama and LSU......cough) schools habitually do.

:P

I think you mean pay them under the table like the SEC.

close - exept the SEC doesn't even have to bother keeping it under the table

And then there is the fact that ESPN has its nose planted deeply in the SEC's annal canal.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I see a lot of worrying about recruiting. Well, you guys really need to look at recruiting as it relates to your conference. The only teams in the big 10 that can consistently out recruit Nebraska is Michigan and Ohio State. With good coaching/scouting/development, you guys should be competing for a big 10 championship every 2-3 years.

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often. The key is not recruiting, as I think NU can recruit itself. But the key is going to be running a consistent system on BOTH sides of the ball and recruiting players to that system. Right now, I don't see that happening. I'm confident Bo can fix it, but he needs to decide if he is spread (air raid) or spread (option). On defense, he needs to play more speed.

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world, but you never recruited that many stars in the 90s and still whipped some consistent ass with good scouting, consistent systems on both sides of hte ball, and a 15-25 ranked recruiting class.

Last time I looked this team that is located in a poor location and can't recruit still has 2 more NC's than LSU.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

So let me get this strait....

little ol Nebraska just can't compete with the sec, Texas and USC so little ol Nebraska should just be satisfied with competing for conference championships and leave the NC to the big boys.

Pardon me.......I need to go puke.

Not at all what I mean. WHat I meant was, in terms of recruiting, you guys are not gonna compete for the same guys. You need a solid coach who can develop players and scout REALLY good 3 stars. When you start winning, you'll get more 4 stars. BUT, you guys are never going to CONSISTENTLY get a top 3-5 class. I absolutely think NU can compete for the NC with the right coaching and system.

Don't defend yourself to him. Your post wasn't demeaning - it was an honest opinion. Some people just like to argue here.

:yeah

GBR!!!

OK....if I took the OP wrong then I apologize.

But, I read into it that we will never be able to recruit with people like the SEC, Texas and USC.....

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location.

And that we will never have top ten recruiting classes like those teams either.

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often.

And, that we will just never have the talent like the big boys....

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world,

So.....we should just pay attention to the conference and fight to just get into BCS games (which would be an improvement over the last 10 years) and leave the NC to the big boys.

We CAN recruit at that level if we continue to improve our winning and our efforts to go find the players that are that good and want to come here.

Another thing that would greatly improve our team (and every northern power house team) is if we would develop HS talent up north like they do in the south. We need Spring football and other benefits that southern HS players have. There isn't a huge genetic difference that happens somewhere around the Mason Dixon Line. We have athletes up here also. They just need developed.

What I do agree with is that we need to be the best program in the country at developing the talent we bring in. If we can do that, then the top talent that is now going to SEC, Texas and USC will start thinking more about coming to Nebraska.

When you start winning, you'll get more 4 stars.

This is a really important point, completely agree.

The winning exposure on TV and everywhere else helps to solidify midwestern recruits that may have chosen another B1G or Big XII school, and brings more draw for the southern/texas/california recruits. It's like the icing on the cake for a four star that's considering coming here, but isn't sure whether or not the spotlight and atmosphere will shine brightly enough on them. If we can't win a conference title in the next couple of seasons, it'll make the journey much tougher than it has even been so far.

Last time I looked this team that is located in a poor location and can't recruit still has 2 more NC's than LSU.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

It's all about what is happening now. I won't argue that NU has a shitton more tradition than LSU. BUT, the thing many are overlooking is the reason for the SEC domination is the population increase. Schools down there have caught up and surpassed what Mich, ND, Nebraska, and the old guard were doing strenght and conditioning wise. THen, they spent the money on facilities to match. So, now kids have an option to stay home and let their families see them play, instead of taking off far from home. I'm sorry, but it's going to be difficult to convince a kid from Florida not to go to UF, FSU, Bama, LSU, UGA, and even Clemson and go to Lincoln instead. Nothing is wrong with Lincoln, but all of those schools are in a much closer proximity. (driving distance) Hell, a kid from TX will be hard pressed to pass up a growing and SEC A&M team, LSU, UT, and OU to go all the way up to Lincoln. LIke I said before, nothing wrong at all with Lincoln (personally I'd like living there than many places down south), but it's just closer to familiarity and family.

NU can still have a top 10 recruiting class every 3 or 4 years, but most years it will be ranked between 15-20, which means you guys need a coach with superior scheme and relationship skills.

I think an important factor to look at in developing a consistent program at any level is having consistent coaching. I'm concerned with how much turnover Bo has had since he's been at the helm. Look at all the programs who are doing well...they get coaches and keep them there for a long time. Granted that his brother got a better job offer but still...we need to develop consistency in our coaching before we can expect to get consistency anywhere else in our program. It all starts at the top!

I think an important factor to look at in developing a consistent program at any level is having consistent coaching. I'm concerned with how much turnover Bo has had since he's been at the helm. Look at all the programs who are doing well...they get coaches and keep them there for a long time. Granted that his brother got a better job offer but still...we need to develop consistency in our coaching before we can expect to get consistency anywhere else in our program. It all starts at the top!

Huh? I guess maybe Stoopsies has been choking away year after year after he won a National Championship off Blakes recruits his first year. How long has Saban been with Bama now? And Chip at Oregon? There are only a few teams out there that are perennial Top teams and coaching staff longevity has nothing to do with it or success AT ALL.

The whole recruiting issue is simple, when kids watch teams like a pathetic Texas and mediocre Northwestern come into Lincoln and beat Nebraska, then mix in our Washington and last years bowl games and what recruit is coming to be coached by a staff that prepares their team to that standard. We've been so mediocre for so long, our brand wore out with recruits long ago. Suh probably re-ignited a little interest but once our defense was proven to be weak without him...............

The UCLA game was a great chance to grab some decent recruits and................well............we saw our preparation yet again for a mediocre team

The UCLA game was a great chance to grab some decent recruits and................well............we saw our preparation yet again for a mediocre team

And how exactly does one prepare for a team with a new coach, a new system, with new players, and with zero meaningful game film to study?

There's only so many times Bo can call Ms. Cleo on the University's dime before they get pissed at the charges he's racking up. :-|

The reason that your perspectives come off as so obnoxious "Seriously?" is because you act as if you have the whole picture already. Here's an indisputable fact: Bo's complete story hasn't been written yet. That's inarguable.

Maybe he'll get worse. Maybe he is plateauing. But maybe he's getting much, much better. None of us know for sure. His recruiting classes have turned around for the better since the 2008-2009 seasons. But you don't see the positives, because you don't want to.