"Why I refuse to Vote for Barack Obama"

zoogs

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/why-i-refuse-to-vote-for-barack-obama/262861/

I'll offer this up without comment. Interested in hearing the reactions/opinions/criticisms of this author's opinion, if anyone has them.

How can you vilify Romney as a heartless plutocrat unfit for the presidency, and then enthusiastically recommend a guy who held Bradley Manning in solitary and killed a 16-year-old American kid? If you're a utilitarian who plans to vote for Obama, better to mournfully acknowledge that you regard him as the lesser of two evils, with all that phrase denotes.

But I don't see many Obama supporters feeling as reluctant as the circumstances warrant.

The whole liberal conceit that Obama is a good, enlightened man, while his opponent is a malign, hard-hearted cretin, depends on constructing a reality where the lives of non-Americans -- along with the lives of some American Muslims and whistleblowers -- just aren't valued. Alternatively, the less savory parts of Obama's tenure can just be repeatedly disappeared from the narrative of his first term, as so many left-leaning journalists, uncomfortable confronting the depths of the man's transgressions, have done over and over again.

Keen on Obama's civil-libertarian message and reassertion of basic American values, I supported him in 2008. Today I would feel ashamed to associate myself with his first term or the likely course of his second. I refuse to vote for Barack Obama. Have you any deal-breakers?

How is this not among them?

The whole liberal conceit that Obama is a good, enlightened man, while his opponent is a malign, hard-hearted cretin, depends on constructing a reality where the lives of non-Americans -- along with the lives of some American Muslims and whistleblowers -- just aren't valued. Alternatively, the less savory parts of Obama's tenure can just be repeatedly disappeared from the narrative of his first term, as so many left-leaning journalists, uncomfortable confronting the depths of the man's transgressions, have done over and over again.

I think only the most hard-core Left Wingers and Right Wingers believe either caricature presented here. Both men have flaws. Neither is the man we need right now.

That's what sucks about the two-party system (I'll spare you all the rant about how the Dems and Republicans are in on this together, mutually retaining power while appearing outwardly to be "opposites"), we get two choices and two choices only, and both parties work damned hard to ensure that our other choices - if any make the ballot or the debate podium - are crackpots. We need better choices, and we need better alternatives than Ross Perot.

<sigh>

• Fire 1

I'll admittedly own that I don't know anything about politics. In fact I usually make a point not to vote -- my vote would be entirely uninformed if I did so, and I don't ever want to wrongfully support a person, cause or agenda through my actions. That being said, I've never minded President Obama. While he's not someone I would encourage my kids to model themselves after, as far as Presidents go, he seems like an okay guy - down to earth as well. The black stains on his presidency aren't to be dismissed, certainly, but I don't think they speak towards an evil person and I think he's done plenty that does speak towards good. For example, I just watched his address on the efforts against sex trafficking in America - I know he's an engaging public speaker and I might be naive, but I believe that's an issue he cares about addressing.

On the other hand, I decided to vote this year just for the sake of trying to keep Romney out of office moreso than keeping Barack in. I don't refuse to vote for Barack Obama because Mitt Romney is the most dumb-witted, out-of-touch, farce of a man I've ever seen run for President; it just boggles my mind. Someone that doesn't understand why airplane windows don't roll down, doesn't think hundreds of thousands of dollars is much money, and thinks being rich and famous makes a person happy is someone that desperately needs to be kept out of office.

What's sad is when we vote it's for the lesser of two morons not for the best man for the job. We vote for the best man available out of two dimwits or which dimwit has the lesser dimwit as a running mate. They all run on talking ponts and getting people wound up but when it comes down to it nothing changes it's just a game and a popularity contest similar to running for school president but with less qualified individuals to lead the free world.

I can relate to feeling not informed enough to vote. I have opinions or feelings about candidates, certainly, but if I have to step back and think about them, I realize the extent to which they're based on general impressions on 'how good a guy this guy is,' and I have to ask myself: how accurate and untainted can that impression of mine possibly be?

I do think Obama is an extremely smart, well-educated, well-spoken guy. I look at him and see a capable-looking head of state to represent this country, particularly on the global scene.

And I do think Mitt Romney is a bit of sleazebag slimeball. Mostly because of that disingenuous grin of his. But I have to admit to myself, and I'm not just playing devil's advocate, that this is an extremely colored impression, founded in no small part by watching a ton of Colbert and Stewart. To value that more than it's worth would be...dangerous.

I would love to love Obama. I think I agree with what this author and a number of other people have said: his message in 2008, and President Obama overall, was an extremely promising one.

I'm troubled though, by a few things. The lack of effectiveness of a Democrat-controlled Congress. The partisan tactics that have dominated lately -- yes, to a degree, I find the Republican actions deplorable. However, they also feel that they've been painted in a corner and have to resort to those tactics in the first place. As the President, it has to in part fall back on Obama. In any significant measure, though? I'm not sure...

And then there's the topic of this article. I really don't know if I can say I have the faith in President Obama to lead Congress and shape policy that I once did. I still think he's a real likable guy, though. And I am not sure at all about the so-called Romney 'plan.' I'm just not convinced it would ever materialize, even after an election victory.

The airplane window thing was a joke, by the way. I'm relieved.

What's sad is when we vote it's for the lesser of two morons not for the best man for the job.

Go back, say, six presidential elections. Tell me who the "best man for the job" was. My answer? None of the above. Maybe - MAYBE - Reagan. But that's in hindsight. In 1980, in fifth grade, I "voted" for Reagan because he was the lesser of two evils. Reagan was more bombast than actual plan, but the country felt good when he was the president. Same goes for Clinton.

This is what we have. It's no different today than it was 32 years ago.

What's sad is when we vote it's for the lesser of two morons not for the best man for the job.

Go back, say, six presidential elections. Tell me who the "best man for the job" was. My answer? None of the above. Maybe - MAYBE - Reagan. But that's in hindsight. In 1980, in fifth grade, I "voted" for Reagan because he was the lesser of two evils. Reagan was more bombast than actual plan, but the country felt good when he was the president. Same goes for Clinton.

This is what we have. It's no different today than it was 32 years ago.

This is exactly my rationale for wanting anyone except Obama to win this election. I don't feel good with him as president and, more importantly, the economy or consumer confidence has not felt good with him in the office. I don't directly fault Obama for the economy, that has a lot more to do with the problems he inherited and congress than it does him. But, what I do fault him for is further dividing the country with relentless plays of the race card and class warfare ( I know you don't like that phrase but that's the way I see it). Simple fact is that this economy is not going to improve while he is still prez. That is my deal breaker. Romney may be a horses ass and more flip floppy than John Kerry but, he isn't Obama and that is my only requirement this go round.

• Fire 1

The main focus of the OP linked article is about drone strikes really. And I'm sure I'm like most in this country, I don't care.

I'm not totally in line with many things Obama has done, and has failed to deliver on promises.

But Romney is someone I could never, under any circumstances trust. He will say anything to get elected, he's been on nearly every side of every issue, and changes based on who his current base is. The only thing he has ever held firm on is his own wealth. How anyone can trust him is beyond my ability to understand. All I can figure is they must not be paying attention.

Landlord, you are too smart not to inform yourself or vote. (sorry for going personal - at least it wasn't an attack and zoogies or BRI don't need to add to my Warning Level)

For some reason, maybe it's just my general dislike of Mitt Romney, I've been informing myself moreso during this election than ever before (although still not to a degree I feel confident). But, I have decided to vote this time around for reasons stated above.

And no need to apologize for going personal if you're just going to compliment my intelligence :P

America isn't interested in a leader. They're only interested in a slick talking used car salesman, who speaks eloquently, is able to tell you what is wrong with the other party and why you should be afraid of them. I haven't heard one real idea or solution that would sway me to vote for either candidate. Bush made himself unpopular by not so much making bad decisions, but unpopular ones which couldn't do anything but make Obama look like a knight in shining armor to rescue the nation. The war in Iraq is considered one of his misteps, but it was inevitably going to happen.

Not to mention you've got media outlets hovering overhead like vultures waiting for the slightest misstep, so it can be blasted over any form of media.

America wants a candidate, who in their clouded vision, can make themselves look less inept than his opponent...

The main focus of the OP linked article is about drone strikes really. And I'm sure I'm like most in this country, I don't care.

I'm not totally in line with many things Obama has done, and has failed to deliver on promises.

But Romney is someone I could never, under any circumstances trust. He will say anything to get elected, he's been on nearly every side of every issue, and changes based on who his current base is. The only thing he has ever held firm on is his own wealth. How anyone can trust him is beyond my ability to understand. All I can figure is they must not be paying attention.

Don't mistake a vote or support for "trust". I don't trust either one of them or most politicians. I really do not like Romney, it's just that I dislike Obama a little bit more. I just figure that one of them has already proven himself to be ineffective while it is only highly likely the other will be a bust. Our system sucks. Problem is I don't know of a better one. I think it used to work but it sure hasn't in quite some time. It sure is effective to keep us bickering instead of solving real problems. That aure does benefit politicians. Us, not so much.

I agree that the war in Afghanistan was inevitable. Why was the war in Iraq inevitable? I will not go so far as to say it wasn't, end result, beneficial, but why was it inevitable?

I haven't really paid much attention to the drone strikes. Which is why I mostly didn't comment on the article. I feel like I should care about it, though.

Also, the trust issue with Romney...that's where I have little faith in my "feeling", which is that he's a little too slick. It's full of characterizations that have been pounded in over the course of a lot of campaigning and media and comedy efforts over a long period of time. I do think he's been a disaster at dealing with the PR battle waged against him. I don't know if that means there should actually exist a trust issue. If anything, Romney has always had some measure of respect from me for his adequacy as an executive. But that's of a company, not a government.

I agree that the war in Afghanistan was inevitable. Why was the war in Iraq inevitable? I will not go so far as to say it wasn't, end result, beneficial, but why was it inevitable?

I haven't really paid much attention to the drone strikes. Which is why I mostly didn't comment on the article. I feel like I should care about it, though.

Also, the trust issue with Romney...that's where I have little faith in my "feeling", which is that he's a little too slick. It's full of characterizations that have been pounded in over the course of a lot of campaigning and media and comedy efforts over a long period of time. I do think he's been a disaster at dealing with the PR battle waged against him. I don't know if that means there should actually exist a trust issue. If anything, Romney has always had some measure of respect from me for his adequacy as an executive. But that's of a company, not a government.

The war in Iraq was inevitable because Saddam was a dumb ass. If you think I'm wrong, then he had to be an idiot to invade Kuwait. He would have done something to piss off the morons at the U.N., and the blue helmets would have been sent in. Which means, we'd have been there too...

Afghanistan wasn't inevitable, it was necessary...