Defense - What Did We Just See?

I'm not one of your big x's and o's kind of fan, meaning I don't know the intricacies of a 2-gap, a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, etc. I did notice that tonight's defense was different. We were not lined up 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Did we see a new slant on the defense, one that took a quarter or so to get into game speed shape?

To me, it seems we dominated the defensive side of the game the second half. What happened. Did everyone just finally "get it"? Did we switch to a scheme that fits our players better?

I'd love to be educated. (Let me save a few of you from responding by making this generic statement for you...."We should have dominated all game because Whisky sucks")

Thoughts?

First half: Defense stuck in BAD situations

Second half: BLACKSHIRTS!!!!

Going off of what I saw live on TV, the Huskers ran the "normal 2-gap" where the DT's wait and react to the play. But the LB's also stayed somewhat close to the line of scrimmage to turn the 4-5 yard gains we've been used to seeing into 1-2-3 yard gains. We saw execution, at least in the second half. The difference between "2nd and 5" and "2nd and 7/8" is huge. We also saw much better persuit and tackeling. We definately saw flashes of the great defense coaches talked about during spring and summer. I have a feeling that the coaches are confident in defending the B1G teams going forward, but Ohio State and Michigan still scare me.

• Fire 2

Going off of what I saw live on TV, the Huskers ran the "normal 2-gap" where the DT's wait and react to the play. But the LB's also stayed somewhat close to the line of scrimmage to turn the 4-5 yard gains we've been used to seeing into 1-2-3 yard gains. We saw execution, at least in the second half. The difference between "2nd and 5" and "2nd and 7/8" is huge. We also saw much better persuit and tackeling. We definately saw flashes of the great defense coaches talked about during spring and summer. I have a feeling that the coaches are confident in defending the B1G teams going forward, but Ohio State and Michigan still scare me.

Thanks Funhusker...I know I was pumped, what ever it was...stops on 3rd and 1...several times...big hits on the QB..dropping backs for losses...I got loud in the hotel room down here in Ft Myers Fl!!!!

Like your post.....Blackshirts need to come out after this game.

We played tough against Wis.....two offensive fumbles in our red zone (if i'm not mistaken)

This this and this. Very very satisfied in our defensive performance tonight and I'm confident that we can win the next three weeks.

I think Bo coached defense that second half. He made a comment to the press after the game along the lines of, 'no matter what you guys say, I still know how to coach defense.' What we saw in the 2nd half, in my opinion, was the Bo Pelini defensive 'genius' if you will, that we've been missing since he was DC here. Great to see it back!

We played this whole game to stop the run and did it well. I would certainly hope so with 8 in the box most of the night. We saw that they have confidence in the secondary holding there own against an unproven QB. It's not like our guys were getting beat deep, mostly just good catches by their receivers. And we actually saw people tackle. Few things make me happier then seeing a receiver with zero YAC!

• Fire 1

I'm glad the defense played the way it did in the 2nd half.

It's like the light switch just came on. Hopefully, the defense buys into this upward swing and carries it over to the OSU game and the rest of the season. Consistency folks.

BB said we played a heavy technique up front that plugged things up. I had to look that up. Basically we line up and the inside foot splits the OL across. First step is into the OL. So basically we are doing a slight slant to the inside pushing the OL back to plug things up. 'Backers scrape off of that. Since Wisky's bread&butter is between the tackles their offense stalled. Good call by the coaches. Sounds like the D coaches earned their keep at halftime with the front 7 and backend coverage adjustments.

We played this whole game to stop the run and did it well. I would certainly hope so with 8 in the box most of the night. We saw that they have confidence in the secondary holding there own against an unproven QB. It's not like our guys were getting beat deep, mostly just good catches by their receivers. And we actually saw people tackle. Few things make me happier then seeing a receiver with zero YAC!

I was really down on our secondary after the game. Wisc really made hay with the PA deep ball, but limiting YAC is a positive.