Tom Osborne receives game ball after comeback

Nexus

Lincoln, NE - As the Nebraska media was waiting for players and coaches to emerge from the locker room, something described as “very special” was going on behind closed doors.

After defeating Wisconsin 30-27, in one of the Huskers largest comebacks in school history, Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini presented Saturday night’s game ball to former legendary coach and retiring athletic director Tom Osborne.

“It was nice,” was all an emotional Osborne said after the game.

On Wednesday, after five years on the job, Osborne announced he would be stepping down as AD effective Jan. 1, 2013. A winner of three national championships during his coaching career, Osborne has given 35+ years of service to Nebraska in some capacity.

“It was fitting. He has meant so much for this state and school, “ said former Husker quarterback and current offensive GA Joe Ganz. “He was emotional. It means a lot to him – where this program is at and what he did to bring it back. You don’t want to have the ‘win one for The Gipper mentality,’ but we want to give him one more championship before he leaves.”

Continue Reading

I have been listening to people talk about coach Osborne, and thinking about him and what he has done since the anouncement of his retiring. There are few people if any who can match his accomplishments to a university and entire state. I have heard Bo Schemblecker mentioned and Barry Alverez is similar.

The thing I have been thinking about has more about the reasons he had for doing these things. In the world of ultra competitive coaching just look at JoPa to see what people will do to gain an edge. Coach Osborne is as selfless as a man can get. I don't believe he got into coaching for the glory. He left coaching to let Frank take the reins. He served a thankless job in Congress. He only came thank to be AD when asked. I can not think of anyone comparable to Coach Osborne and there never will be another. They broke the mold.