We lack speed

Apathy

I think we have the necessary talent to compete. Do we need a little more speed on defense? Maybe, but I think the main issue is our defensive scheme itself. In a nutshell it is a bend but don't break defense. Some like Bo Pelini prefer that kind of defense. I however wish we could be more aggressive.

We need an aggressive, attacking, speed defense. The offense is putting up points but what the hell is Nebraska giving up 63 points...that is completely crazy! Soon as OSU got the edge, gone! Clear out the middle, OSU gone! This is a joke. Any quality D recruit with speed can step in and play...that is my only hope that some of these stellar D recruits are as fast as we think. Man, Lavonte David really saved our ass last year...think about that one, people! He was probably worth an extra 2 wins last year.

On the contrary, we need a defense that is extremely smart, extremely disciplined, and maintains contain on Braxton. Failed to do that.

That, along with simple, solid fundamentals, is what we seem to continually lack. That also leads to penalties and turnovers. All which have been a trademark for us the last few years.

Even disciplined defenses can get blown apart by freak athletes like Miller. You need to attack him, hit him and force a few bad throws, even if it means giving up a few big plays. Michigan State blitzed him a lot and Ohio State scored 17 points. They have both better athletes on the front seven and probably better discipline.

Right now our defense is lacking a lot of things.