What We Learned

Bo Pelini=Kevin Cosgrove?

Okay, thats probably over the top. But against "good" teams, it's what Pelini's defenses are starting to resemble. I'm starting to become concerned about the direction of the program. Our D-minded coach is cranking out bad and worse defenses two seasons running. Somethings not right in Camelot.

Sadly, I don't think most of us really learned anything from this game. Most of what we saw tonight was stuff that we already knew, or at least heavily suspected:

1. Beck is not a big-game-ready OC. He has not learned to play to our strengths (particularly Taylor's). He still refuses to pull out the "screen passes" chapter of the playbook (did he spill Amigos enchilada sauce over it?).

2. Taylor is not a good drop-back passer and never will be (although this could be masked well-enough if #1 were fixed).

3. Our defense is very average in just about every category.

4. Bo's creative edge in calling defensive plays seems to have fallen off some (perhaps the stresses of head coaching has muzzled his creative side, or maybe Carl was the man behind the curtain all along? I'm joking [i think...]).

5. Kenny Bell is great.

6. Rex Burkhead is great, and our whole stable of backs is the highlight of our team.

7. Our offensive line is really bad against any good defensive line, and Barney probably needs to go.

Maybe we should start with a clean slate with a new AD? At this point, we're just going to settle for 8-9 win seasons if big things don't change. Also, our "omg comeback" against Wisconsin was a false sense of hope for this game (for me especially). While Wisconsin is better than they played the first few games, they are still pretty bad this year so we had a great comeback against a mediocre Wisconsin team. We aren't even a top 30 team at this point, imo. The defense always seems thin; I can't explain it. When I watch SEC games, it seems like they have 11 guys playing lights out defense but when I watch our game, it feels like we have about 6-7 guys just running around. Maybe the camera angles are different, I don't know but we don't seem to have any sort of control of our defense. We bend....don't break, then boom, a big play or a team gashes us.

Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Michigan State still ahead...maybe we go 2-2 against those teams and win 7-8 games this year? Yay?

Heartbreaking season once again.

I understand your feelings at this point. But that's exactly what we did with Osborne for about 8 years actaully before he broke through the talent barrier and finally built them great teams in the early 80's. (not 8 or 9 wins, but they were 9 for the most part).

The big difference was the TO couldn't beat Switzer. Bo can't beat anyone who has equalish talent players. Bo has had five years, and in his presser actually said he "wishes he knew" Do you honestly think TO ever used phrase like that when talking about why his team lost? And TO only lost, he didn't get the doors blown off on national TV, repeatedly.

It must be really hard to follow a legend like TO. At some point, the legend takes a life of its own and no coach will be good enough to follow in his footsteps. He is one of the top 5 coaches of all time, I get it, but he isn't going to walk the sidelines and call the plays anymore. I don't know what your answer is as at head coach but college football is a lot different than it was when TO graced the sidelines.

It must be really hard to follow a legend like TO. At some point, the legend takes a life of its own and no coach will be good enough to follow in his footsteps. He is one of the top 5 coaches of all time, I get it, but he isn't going to walk the sidelines and call the plays anymore. I don't know what your answer is as at head coach but college football is a lot different than it was when TO graced the sidelines.

I don't really think anyone's hoping to see TO come back. I think what most fans are hoping for is to see coaches that have the potential to reach that caliber. Bo wowed us fans for a while, but now that he's been around for a while... it's clear that his scheme has a distinct flaw. Any offense that has a mobile QB has a very good chance of embarrassing his defense. And the only time it didn't was when he had possibly one of the best linemen in decades in Suh running around like Wile E Coyote terrorizing QBs.

Bo hasn't been able to catch that lightning in a bottle again since, and the longer he isn't able to find a suitable replacement, the longer that gaping hole in his defense can be exploited. Currently us fans have to hold our noses every time NE plays a tOSU or Northwestern, because there's a high chance the defense will stink against that kind of offense. I'll give Bo a while to find it again, but he needs to admit it's an issue and change the scheme to adjust for it. And if he fails to find linemen that can do the job long enough, we all have to start assuming that he either can't recruit them or they don't exist.

And trust me, I like Bo and want him to stick around for a while. I want to believe in his system... but games like this make you wonder if he's still trying to coach and recruit LSU talent in an area where you're distinctly NOT going to get it. His system needs specific players, and he's clearly having trouble finding them. If he can't recruit them, then he has to change the scheme... instead of constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If he refuses to change, well... maybe he really wasn't meant to coach around here then.

I've learned that some posters only come out after big losses. I'd never heard of some of the names, thinking they were brand new to Huskerboard. Then I see their post total.

It's almost like a zombie apocalypse...rising from the dead to feed on the living...

• Fire 1

I've learned that some posters only come out after big losses. I'd never heard of some of the names, thinking they were brand new to Huskerboard. Then I see their post total.

It's almost like a zombie apocalypse...rising from the dead to feed on the living...

I've noticed that too. I'm wondering if we go back and look at their past posts if they said the same thing and if the last time they posted was the last time we lost. Oh, by the way-some of these posters keep ranting about how Bo can't win the 'big game'. Didn't we beat Ohio State here at home last year? Yep. Didn't we also beat Michigan St. last year? Yep. There were so many people on this board at the beginning of the season saying, 'We won't win to Ohio State but I'm ok with that.' and those same people are in a state of angst/depression/ranting-raving/hand wringing/teeth gnashing et al because we did lose. Why is that? I figured this would be our one loss in the B1G this year. So, loss over-move on. (Yeah, I know-some people will not want to move on-so stay and play in the poop if you like) It will be interesting to see how many people gripe and moan during our BYE week!! (This could've been a good bye week! We're having the worst bye week in the B1G! Fire the coach-he can't coach during the BYE week!) I'm hoping that Rex is ok and can take advantage of this week off. I heard Ciante was also injured. So here's to a healing bye week for the players/coaches and the fans.

We are just not very good.

Bo is really slipping, he is a defensive coach, where is the defense?

Where is the team speed? I saw a lack of that in person at the Rose Bowl a few weeks ago, and it is only getting worse. We should have the speed to never let opposing players get outside on us.

Urban Meyer is incredibly arrogant. Must be from his time in the SEC. Going for a touchdown with 40 seconds left and leading by 18, wow...

Bo might not have an ally anymore with Dr. Tom retiring...

With starters in. He's ruffling a lot of feathers in this brotherly conference. Dont think he's gonna get away with it. Coaches remember. Bo will remember that last score. As long as Urban is man enough to stick around long enough to actually have to go through a rebuilding year.

This is our rebuilding year.

As already asked, where were the dirty cheap shots? I have the game recorded, so if you can tell me exactly where, or something, I could look back. I don't remember any cheap shots or dirty hits. If you're referencing hitting Martinez, those hits were pretty much lined up as he was throwing.

We are just not very good.

Bo is really slipping, he is a defensive coach, where is the defense?

Where is the team speed? I saw a lack of that in person at the Rose Bowl a few weeks ago, and it is only getting worse. We should have the speed to never let opposing players get outside on us.

Urban Meyer is incredibly arrogant. Must be from his time in the SEC. Going for a touchdown with 40 seconds left and leading by 18, wow...

Bo might not have an ally anymore with Dr. Tom retiring...

With starters in. He's ruffling a lot of feathers in this brotherly conference. Dont think he's gonna get away with it. Coaches remember. Bo will remember that last score. As long as Urban is man enough to stick around long enough to actually have to go through a rebuilding year.

Frankly, I dont' see that happening. As soon as his star quarterback is gone-he'll be gone too so Miller is a sophomore-right? So that's 2 more years? When the going gets tough Meyer jumps ship.

Instead of saying, what did we learn, maybe we should ask, 'What did we do well-What can we improve on?'

What we did well-

>We actually contained/stopped Braxton Miller in the first quarter.

>We had some variety in our offense and it paid off. (I liked it when Rex took the snap. That really fooled them-TWICE!)

What can we improve on?

>Sticking with a defensive scheme when it's working. Why we abandoned that scheme is beyond me.

>Not passing in the red zone! POUND THE ROCK That was another thing that just bugs the heck out of me. When it's working stick with it!

>Using other players: If the guy who is currently playing, isn't hitting the mark, then substitute. We have to have other players that we can at least try. If nothing else they will be fresh legs and can give the starters a rest.

>Players need to play their positions. There were several times when our guys were not in position. When they are not in position there is no one else there to take care of that job.

>Don't chew out players in front of everyone. That is just poor form. If you need to chew them out, wait to do it in private.

What else?

Frankly, I dont' see that happening. As soon as his star quarterback is gone-he'll be gone too so Miller is a sophomore-right? So that's 2 more years? When the going gets tough Meyer jumps ship.

Instead of saying, what did we learn, maybe we should ask, 'What did we do well-What can we improve on?'

What we did well-

>We had some variety in our offense and it paid off. (I liked it when Rex took the snap. That really fooled them-TWICE!)

What can we improve on?

>Sticking with a defensive scheme when it's working. Why we abandoned that scheme is beyond me.

>Not passing in the red zone! POUND THE ROCK That was another thing that just bugs the heck out of me. When it's working stick with it!

>Using other players: If the guy who is currently playing, isn't hitting the mark, then substitute. We have to have other players that we can at least try. If nothing else they will be fresh legs and can give the starters a rest.

>Players need to play their positions. There were several times when our guys were not in position. When they are not in position there is no one else there to take care of that job.

>Don't chew out players in front of everyone. That is just poor form. If you need to chew them out, wait to do it in private.

What else?

Why do you keep saying that? His first time, he went 13-1. His 2nd time he was 8-5 and left with a bowl victory. (All this at Florida)

He was undefeated when he left Utah

He was 9-3 in Bowling Green when he left there.

Alex Smith and Tim Tebow were recruited by Urban Meyer. Urban Meyer has yet to recruit his prototype QB at Ohio State. (He has JT Barrett, but I don't know how good he will be)

What we did well-

What can we improve on?

What else?

Why do you keep saying that? His first time, he went 13-1. His 2nd time he was 8-5 and left with a bowl victory. (All this at Florida)

He was undefeated when he left Utah

He was 9-3 in Bowling Green when he left there.

Alex Smith and Tim Tebow were recruited by Urban Meyer. Urban Meyer has yet to recruit his prototype QB at Ohio State. (He has JT Barrett, but I don't know how good he will be)

Why did he leave Florida? Why didn't he stay and help them through their tough time? That's my point. Did he leave the other two teams because greener pastures were calling?

Just my opinion. But it's pretty weird to me that he would have lots of success at Florida, leave for health reasons, come back to Florida then when they started to lose, leave again then shortly thereafter go back to coaching at Ohio State. It's just suspect to me. I could be totally wrong. It could be that he will stay at Ohio forever as he is an Ohio native. We'll see.

Yeah, I know this is 'bleacher report' fodder but I found it interesting. Anyone agree/disagree?

"Nebraska Football: 10 Things we learned from Huskers' Loss vs Ohio State"

10. Taylor Martinez isn't perfect: "Martinez still shows flashes of potential. It ultimately comes down to his leadership, which is something he can't abandon when times get tough."

9. Nebraska's defense is not the Blackshirts of the past. "Saturday night proved that the defense has it in them to win. It showed that many times throughout the game. The problem was a lack of consistency."

8. Rex Burkhead really IS Superman: "As he grimaced while running on the sidelines, his desire was still there. It is that passion and drive that have made him one of the most respected Nebraska athletes in a very long time. At the end of the day, Burkhead is Superman."

7. Ameer Abdullah Is Great and He's Only Going to Get Better: "Abdullah is on the brink of greatness. We see it every week as he fights for holes and jumps over defenders."

6. Kenny Bell is a fantastic receiver: "Bell knows how to block and how to help the team. If it's not his turn to make the big play, he's blocking the best he can. He's the epitome of a team player."

5. Mistakes Can and Will Be the End of the Team: If Nebraska wants to get better, finding a way to limit turnovers is key.

4. Road Games Are a Challenge: This will be a challenge for Nebraska, which needs to prove it is capable of winning anywhere, not just in Lincoln.

3. This Team Is Better Than It Is Allowing Itself to Be: The key will be bringing this team together and having it play lights-out from start to finish.

2. The Bye Week Could Not Have Come at a Better Time: These next two weeks are going to be important for this team. It will allow time for growth and for Rex Burkhead to heal.

1. Huskers Could Still Make the Trip to Pasadena: Some fans may not like the way they get there, but the Huskers still could be California bound. That says more about the conference than it does about the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1361503-nebraska-football-10-things-we-learned-from-huskers-loss-vs-ohio-state