"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

Yes I am a sunshine pumper. It makes my week a whole lot easier leading up to a game with the hopes of performing well, and if we dont-like saturday- I'm over it by Sunday morning. Some of you trolls (yes, you are trolls, you only come here to complain and re-offer up your short list of new coaches after every loss) sit and bicker and moan the whole time about how bad this is and how much worse that has gotten. Here's a little advice for you. Pump some sunshine bitches. Life will be a whole lot less stressful.

Rebuild the staff. Great. Change this. Change that. But it will still take time. Those things dont happen overnight. And no one's going anywhere during the season anyway. So you might as well cool it for your sake and wait and see instead of sitting on pins and needles wondering how bad it could get. It's just a game. I know, I know, it's much more to this state than that, yada yada. But it is still just a game. And if youre blind to that concept, then you need to pull your head out of YOUR ASS.

• Fire 1

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

And yes, OSU is a mediocre, above-average team. They may be the best team in the B1G, but that's not saying much.

And to all of those saying we can't get a top coach...two words for ya:

Money Talks

This...unfortunately.

But we do have the world's wealthiest 'Husker fan and second-wealthiest man residing in Omaha. I would think there's something DoNU could do to entice him to donate more.

TO of course knows that too but now he's gone. Scary. Another Pedeyshine and Nebraska is Minnesota for decades.

No...there is another. If this AD doesn't work out, we have former 'Huskers with AD experience that could step in and right the ship.

Yes I am a sunshine pumper. It makes my week a whole lot easier leading up to a game with the hopes of performing well, and if we dont-like saturday- I'm over it by Sunday morning. Some of you trolls (yes, you are trolls, you only come here to complain and re-offer up your short list of new coaches after every loss) sit and bicker and moan the whole time about how bad this is and how much worse that has gotten. Here's a little advice for you. Pump some sunshine bitches. Life will be a whole lot less stressful.

Rebuild the staff. Great. Change this. Change that. But it will still take time. Those things dont happen overnight. And no one's going anywhere during the season anyway. So you might as well cool it for your sake and wait and see instead of sitting on pins and needles wondering how bad it could get. It's just a game. I know, I know, it's much more to this state than that, yada yada. But it is still just a game. And if youre blind to that concept, then you need to pull your head out of YOUR ASS.

I love it when these trolls come on here to complain about the team and plaster their "Fire Bo!" agenda all over the boards, yet when NEB wins, they are nowhere to be seen and can't show some praise. NEB's offense is pretty damn good this year....gave the ball up 4 times, had stupid penalties and yet STILL PUT UP 38 points away from home in a hostile environment against a decent rush defense. I guess some people can't see anything positive in this team because they are delusional and think that NEB should be winning national championships or even competing for one every year. Sorry, reality is....any team in the country can only be so good for so long. NEB is slowly on the rise IMO, NOT heading back down to crappy Callahan standards. Yes, this was a bad game. Yes, we lost by 63 points, but there is still plenty of positives you can take away from the season so far and the season is far from over. I'll wait to formulate my conclusions on whether Bo should go based on a few more seasons, NOT AFTER the team's 1st conference loss to the best team in the BIG10 right now. Hell, I still don't think Ohio St is that much better than NEB (we'll all get a clearer picture on how good/bad the team is at the end of the season). It was a bad game...take a deep breathe fans and move on. Plenty of season left.

• Fire 1

Bo is a hothead, and he will fail as a head coach unless he finds a way to deal with things better.

Disagree. I want the fire back that he had a few years ago. Funny how our teams played with edge back before the fans and media neutered Bo because of how he acted. I miss pissed-off Bo.

Bo is a hothead, and he will fail as a head coach unless he finds a way to deal with things better.

Devaney was a hot-head.......grabbed players face masks, got in player's faces, was animated.......

Oh wait...we have to have a double-standard because Devaney won 2 natty titles....I see I see......... :huh::sarcasm

• Fire 1

As much as I love Osborne... there are a few things we have to consider here.

1) When Callahan was fired, Osborne stepped in to hire his successor. As said above, he didn't want to spend a lot of money and he only interviewed guys who were unproven as head coaches on the BCS level like Gill, Pelini, etc.. Pelini was a logical choice at the time and fans were calling for him to come back. He had massively improved our defense the one season he was here. He had taken OU to a National Championship with their defense. He had won a National Championship at LSU with their defense. Nebraska had offense and needed defense. So when Pelini got the job... he retained the offensive coordinator from the good offense and brought in his defense.

2) Because Osborne didn't want to put 3-4 million dollars down for a head coach, he immediately took us out of the question for any BIG named proven coaches. When Nick Saban, Mac Brown and Bob Stoops each make over $5 million. Urban Meyer and Lane Kiffin make $4 million. Kirk Ferentz and Les Miles make $3.8 million for goodness sake. Bo, to this day who has had good raises each year, makes $2.78 million he started out under $2million.

3) Tom is a loyal guy. He was a coach himself and remembers the fans disapproval at him at one time. He has said Bo runs his program the right way. Tom has liked the emphasis he has seen on life skills, academics, work ethic, accountability, etc etc. Thus it comes down to this... Tom Osborne will only hire a man of honesty, integrity, and ethics. A large majority of winning coaches in football are cheating, lying, slip it under the table, manipulating, game playing guys. The stuff that goes on in recruiting at a lot of these major schools is unbelievable and what we know about it is just a small small part. Many of the guys never get caught because their tactics cover their tails. But they win football games... So yeah we can go out... offer somebody $4 million dollars... get them to come in and win... but at what cost to our reputation? Ethics? Honesty? Integrity? When you hire someone who plays fair in a world of cheaters sometimes the really good cheaters win. Point blank.

Nothing mediocre about Braxton, and let's be clear, it wasn't 60 points. It was 42, with one of those TDs coming in garbage time with a minute to play. Another one of those coming after a Martinez INT set up the Buckeyes in the red zone.

Still a really bad showing - but not quite 60 points.

I do agree with your last paragraph though X - and I love the Michael Corleone analogy.

Somehow recalling pick sixes and special teams breakdowns actually makes it worse, not better. Total team failure. Can't just pin it on the defense.

Exactly...and it shows how inept most of the assistant coaches are. There is one coach that Pelini currently has on staff that is actually worth anything. He needs more coaches like this and less of his buddies...especially at the coordinator positions.

Disagree. I want the fire back that he had a few years ago. Funny how our teams played with edge back before the fans and media neutered Bo because of how he acted. I miss pissed-off Bo.

No Pelini coached team has played with consistent fire, energy or focus. NU plays with fire and focus, out-hustling our opponent only for perhaps for a half of 3-4 games per season and then perhaps one or two full games per season. That is it. It has not changed. No worse. No better. Pelini himself in terms of tantrums, explicatives, etc. --- that has changed somewhat. But his tantrums and the edge he had (which is somewhat diminished) never translated into firing up the team. He has not coached a consistently fired up team ever. This... among many other shortfalls... is perhaps the worst aspect of his coaching --- bringing out flat teams that get out-worked. and this happens whether he is blowing his top or merely shaking his head on the sideline.

you do know that the man who built Nebraska football, bob devaney, was way more hotheaded than bo?

Read what it means too be a husker by Osborne and Snook and how intense and emotional Devaney was comes up often.

It is ok how bo acts on the sideline.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, and Chip Kelly all disagree.

Being a "hothead" has jack sh#t to do with Bo failing. Crappy recruiting and a garbage staff do.

As much as I love Osborne... there are a few things we have to consider here.

1) When Callahan was fired, Osborne stepped in to hire his successor. As said above, he didn't want to spend a lot of money and he only interviewed guys who were unproven as head coaches on the BCS level like Gill, Pelini, etc.. Pelini was a logical choice at the time and fans were calling for him to come back. He had massively improved our defense the one season he was here. He had taken OU to a National Championship with their defense. He had won a National Championship at LSU with their defense. Nebraska had offense and needed defense. So when Pelini got the job... he retained the offensive coordinator from the good offense and brought in his defense.

2) Because Osborne didn't want to put 3-4 million dollars down for a head coach, he immediately took us out of the question for any BIG named proven coaches. When Nick Saban, Mac Brown and Bob Stoops each make over $5 million. Urban Meyer and Lane Kiffin make $4 million. Kirk Ferentz and Les Miles make $3.8 million for goodness sake. Bo, to this day who has had good raises each year, makes $2.78 million he started out under $2million.

3) Tom is a loyal guy. He was a coach himself and remembers the fans disapproval at him at one time. He has said Bo runs his program the right way. Tom has liked the emphasis he has seen on life skills, academics, work ethic, accountability, etc etc. Thus it comes down to this... Tom Osborne will only hire a man of honesty, integrity, and ethics. A large majority of winning coaches in football are cheating, lying, slip it under the table, manipulating, game playing guys. The stuff that goes on in recruiting at a lot of these major schools is unbelievable and what we know about it is just a small small part. Many of the guys never get caught because their tactics cover their tails. But they win football games... So yeah we can go out... offer somebody $4 million dollars... get them to come in and win... but at what cost to our reputation? Ethics? Honesty? Integrity? When you hire someone who plays fair in a world of cheaters sometimes the really good cheaters win. Point blank.

Escellent post. Sure I would love to "have my cake and eat it to," honesty, integrity, etc and a winning program. Actually, we do have a winning program, just not to the level we would like at times. Firing Bo at this point is a huge mistake, some will argue that I am accepting mediocrity, not at all. Tom was head coach for 25yrs, out of those years he had 5 outstanding ones, 93-97 (actually, he had a few more if you count 81-83) and ironically enough, they came towards the end after many years of trial and error. He also had many years that some would argue were mediocre. We gauage Tom solely on his last five years and expect every coach to produce the same results every year, Tom didn't.

If you go all the way back to the Devaney days, which started in 1962, that's 50yrs of Husker football. Out of those years, we won an MNC in 70,71,94,95,97 and played for one in 83,93 and 2001. Granted, those are impressive numbers compared to most teams, but that's 8 times total out of 50yrs, we need to quit acting like we have done it every year. I remember some major butt kickings that Tom's teams endured when they played a team with a heart beat. I guess my point is, things are not nearly as bad as some would like to believe. I will take loyalty, integrity, honesty and academics over a win at all costs mentality any day, and that "win at all costs" is what we just might get with some of the other coaching names that have been brought up to replace Bo. Be very careful what you ask for, sometimes it isn't worth it.

Tom may not have been as vocal as Bo is, but I can remember many times the look on his face during a major beat down had the "I wish I knew" written all over it.

• Fire 2