Really what do fans want?

We look slow and soft because of our scheme. Our defense doesn't play with any sense of urgency. That is what you get when you have good recruits playing in a complex defense that take elite men to pull it off. If we played to their strengths, they would look much faster and tougher. Frankly it is all about our 2-Gap system plain and simple. Sadly we will have the 2-Gap system as long as Bo is our head coach. It is what he knows and he won't adjust. Let the kids get up the field and swarming to the ball! This read and react crap is killing us! Speed is the name of the game. From the secondary, to the linebackers to the front four... they need to be fast! Our scheme doesn't allow for that.

I miss the old Big 8. I don't miss certain aspects of the BIG XII. I like being in the B1G because it reminds me of the old Big 8, but sadly it is not the old Big 8.

Honestly, I'd settle for things like they were in the 70s and 80s. A couple of up years, a couple of down years. An occasional conference title. Maybe once or twice a decade, they contend for a title. A Fiesta Bowl or an Orange Bowl once in awhile.

Some of my favorite Huskers teams were the ones that didn't win it all. 1982, 1983. The '88 team that finally beat Oklahoma for the first time in five years.

More than anything else, how about a respectable showing on television? A conference road game without four turnovers, countless penalties and silly defensive breakdowns?

I know 60-3 isn't gonna happen again. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Just some competent football in a big game - any big game, bowl game.

I want an athletic department run by highly qualified, competent individuals. I want an elite head coach that hires elite assistants and recruits the best players nationwide. More than anything, I want an athletic department, a football program and, in particular, a head football coach who conducts himself in a respectable manner and doesn't embarass the university and the state of Nebraska at every turn of the road.

Honestly, I'd overlook the big losses and the four loss seasons if Pelini didn't act like such a condescending, insecure, bullying prick. But he does act that way and I disdain him because of it.

Here's what I want TO and Shawn Eichorst to do:

During this bye week, seal up Memorial stadium. Turn loose a hundred or so wild boars. Give each player AND each coach a spear, a knife, some matches and a stack of wood. If anyone isn't willing to chase down a boar, kill it, clean it and eat it for a week, they are given a pat on the back, a "thanks for playing" and shown the door. The rest get to stay with the team. Kind of a team building event if you will.

And when a defensive genius (self proclaimed) lets his team consistently give up huge yards and points to the better than average teams you would think he might say hmm..... maybe I need to adjust this scheme to fit my players.

What scheme is suited for slow, weak, soft defensive lineman and linebackers?

I would actually question if they are, or if the scheme is making it look that way. If the players are having to stop and think all the time, they will look painfully slow. In 2007 we said they all were slow and soft. The linemen are also not being asked to push back up and kill the QB/RB its all about 'controlling the gaps' for the LBs to make plays, which unless you have a Dorsey or Suh and some other NFL talent on the line, they will look pathetic.

If we win a B1G championship, everybody will forget about these first 6 games this year. Doesn't matter how it looks when it happens, we just need to get it done. With how weak the B1G is this year, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to win it.

Moral of the story: FANS WANT CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

And when a defensive genius (self proclaimed) lets his team consistently give up huge yards and points to the better than average teams you would think he might say hmm..... maybe I need to adjust this scheme to fit my players.

I would actually question if they are, or if the scheme is making it look that way. If the players are having to stop and think all the time, they will look painfully slow. In 2007 we said they all were slow and soft. The linemen are also not being asked to push back up and kill the QB/RB its all about 'controlling the gaps' for the LBs to make plays, which unless you have a Dorsey or Suh and some other NFL talent on the line, they will look pathetic.

I think we saw during the Wisconsin game what they're asked to do. They are asked to get push up front and, yes, control gaps, which isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately they're not physically able to do that unless they're going up against an even softer offensive line. It's hard to control anything when they're getting pushed back several yards and blocked out of nearly every play. I have a difficult time believing switching to a different scheme would change that.

Exactly there is no excuse for not winning the B1G this year. The problem is the team is set-up currently by Bo and staff not to succeed. The talent is there but we are just being poorly coached right now. As I've said many of times to people, if Kansas State can win like they are right now, there is no excuse with the talent we have to not succeed.

Exactly there is no excuse for not winning the B1G this year. The problem is the team is set-up currently by Bo and staff not to succeed. The talent is there but we are just being poorly coached right now. As I've said many of times to people, if Kansas State can win like they are right now, there is no excuse with the talent we have to not succeed.

Is it?... You and I definitely disagree on that.

The Kansas State comment is valid in a hard core way. We've got the kids, they need to be coached. To steal from an old Nebraska basketball chant "Fire Bo, dig up Bob!"

Edit: We have the kids to do better and be more consistent than we are. We do still have a lack of talent compared to many of the top teams in the country.

I think we saw during the Wisconsin game what they're asked to do. They are asked to get push up front and, yes, control gaps, which isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately they're not physically able to do that unless they're going up against an even softer offensive line. It's hard to control anything when they're getting pushed back several yards and blocked out of nearly every play. I have a difficult time believing switching to a different scheme would change that.

I'm not sure it's that they're soft, I think it has more to do with worrying about the QB run. Our defensive line looks great when they're playing against immobile QBs, even when it's against a good running attack. Throw a mobile QB into the mix, and everything falls apart - our guys start dancing with the OL, rather than pushing as they did against Wisconsin.

Maybe we're trying TOO hard to stop mobile QB's. I wonder how Ohio State would have done if we just played them the same way we played Missouri when Blaine Gabbert was there. Don't try to contain, just get after the QB, hit him as much as you can, and see if he can make enough plays to beat you when he gets the chance.