Something I heard on 1620 this week...

So I forget if it was Damon Benning or Greg Sharpe who said it, but they threw out an interesting theory that I kinda wanna know how you guys weigh in on it.

Tommie Armstrong, big arm QB from Cibolo. I've watched the vids, the guy has the arm and seems like the experience to run our offense and according to everyone on the team, he gets better and better every week.

Anyhow, on 1620 this week Damon or Greg (forget who said it) said something to the effect of "Taylor Martinez will start at QB in 2013, but if he shows signs of struggle again, and Tommie A doesn't get a shot...Tommie will not be at NU the following year." When I heard this, I panicked. I kept thinking how bad it would be to lose a great talent like that. It's been bugging a ton this week. It's not that I don't respect Taylor, in fact, he's been our guy when we had no one to hang our hat on and has shown so much heart all 3 years he's started...but when we have a complete QB like Tommie (and possibly another one coming in Johnny Stanton) I just hope that, next year during the spring there actually is a competition for the starting spot. I would hate to see good player go on to bigger better things elsewhere because they aren't getting a shot.

Your thoughts?

Why the hell would tommie come too NU with that attitude knowing T-mart is the starting QB?

That don't make sh#t for sense.

If he has that attitude he would have gone somewhere else where he could have started right away.

I think he came here and will stay because he loves his team, Bo, the university, and the state. And also because i'm sure he knows he can compete for the starting job in 2014 as a Redshirt soph.

You don't make sh#t for sense. Sorry but he's not going to stay solely because he "loves" the team, Bo and the freaking state. That's hilarious by the way. Part of the reason he came here is because he know's he phenomenal and that NU is weak at the QB position and that he had a great chance to compete and take over the starting job. He's not going to stay if he doesn't get a shot. He his not here because he loves Nebraska. He is here to be a starter, win and move to the next level. If I was a star like him and saw how bad TM is, I would have been here too. The guys on 1620 are absolutely right.

If that is Tommie's attitude i don't want him too start. he won't be any better than those before him.

We need people like Joey Ganz, fighters, that love the school, love the team, and want too be here. That is something i think is seriously lacking in some parts of the D and O.

The last spot right there are Nebraska's problems. We see it game in and game out. They don't care about Nebraska, this is a stepping stone too the NFL. It happened in 07. it's happening again too a lesser extent.

The teams of the 90's were full of walk on's that desperately wanted too be at Nebraska, and that bled too the rest of the team.

And having been in the Radio industry and worked in the media these types are prone too over react and create stories too please a distraught fan base, or in this case too incite one. whats more is i want too hear Tommie say all this himself before i will believe in any of this sh#t.

i would say i'm sorry too, but right now a lot of people are on the side of the argument that has no facts, other than a bunch of talking heads on some radio show that don't clearly have many facts them selves.

This is just another way of the Martinez haters too try and get the kid benched because they think he will ruin the season.

i was told that our backup qb could literally fly...its been bugging me all week that we havent put him in the game. js

Nope, that was just a rumor floating around huskerboard.

Tommie is not as fast as TMart. TMart, Bell, and Turner may be the fastest ones on the team.

We messed up promising T-Mart the starting job for 4 years regardless of his on-field performance

citation needed.

Shawn Watson is the holder of the agreement

Ok, now you're just trolling, because nobody is this stupid.

Originally I wasn't until I realized how butt-hurt people get, like you, on huskerboard when someone shares their opinions.

I simply believe that Taylor Martinez is an average QB at best and regardless of who we have in at QB during the games we won't see much of a difference. Across the board all of our QBs are probably pretty even talent wise, besides Kellog.

But what the hell do I know, right? I don't have 2,287 posts

"Butt-hurt?"

You are literally making things up, then getting a sandy vagina when posters are telling you that your opinion is wrong. If you actually think Shawn Watson wanted TM at QB, then I don't think this conversation is worth continuing. It's pretty well known that Watson wanted nothing to do with TM at QB, and was overridden by Bo in the fall of 2010. It was a point of contention all throughout the season.

Nobody thinks TM is great, but he is the best we have. QB is waaaaay down the list of problems right now. Until our defense stops giving up 6.5 ypp against teams with a pulse, it won't matter who is at QB. Anyone who argues this point is an idiot.

Get the ball into the playmakers hands.

You mean like the guy who currently sits atop the conference in Pass Efficiency? Playmakers like that?

If only we had a guy like that on the team...

Uhh, no. Like commenting on Zoogies idea that to get TA experience do it from the wildcat so that when he takes over in 2014 or possibly 2013 he is ready to go. Hence the rest of my post talking about being in a good position next year because of the playing time that AA, Cross and Heard have got this year. I have no issue with Martinez. Said after the OSU he played balls out, ran the hardest I have seen from him and tried to carry the team and was glad he was our guy. So again, am not saying to replace Martinez...........

Also takes the pressure of Martinez so he does not have to feel as though he has to "do it all". Spread the ball around.

It isn't really about getting Tommy experience as it is about getting anyone who runs the Wildcat best to run it. We could use some consistency on offense. When we get into 2nd and short or if we're at 1st & 15 or any of a number of different situations, we can throw a guy out there who runs a mean zone read like Rex and get a few reliable yards.

I put Tommy and Jamal's name up as well because they might offer a more legitimate passing threat out of that formation than Rex, but really whoever runs the ZR best probably could get the nod. ZR appears to be a fairly small part of the offense right now and I think we could expand it that way. We'd do well with it.

Getting Tommy 20 snaps a game isn't a waste though, if it really came to that. And it would set up a good competition going forward. I don't know if Tommy is needed for it though. Depends on Rex and Jamal. I feel like between the two of them, they could handle it and we can save the redshirt. Maybe Tommy's that darn good though, I don't know.

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents.

:facepalm:

Taylor's Ohio State, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri wins, off the top of my head, were against "nobody" opponents?

Prolly would have lost to OSU if miller didn't go down....MSU, nice win....K state, till Snyder game back they where avg.....okla st, we won cuz okla st plays ZERO def, and I mean ZERO def....mizzu, I can't remember that game.

The defense is hemorrhaging yards and points on a Cosgrovian scale and we've got another thread going about Taylor Martinez.

Martinez has completed 67% of his passes.

He's thrown 4 INTs vs. 14 TDs.

He's 13th in the nation in Pass Efficiency.

He throws an INT 3% of the time he goes back to pass.

He's 39th in the nation in Total Offense.

He's 14th in the country in Points Responsible For.

Meanwhile, the defense is:

92nd in the country in Rush Defense

49th in Total Defense

73rd in Scoring Defense

32nd in Pass Efficiency Defense

Thank god we've identified Martinez as the problem, and thank god we're ready to bench him for the next guy. Thank god we're bitching because this is the best we have.

Exactly. Plus, he is currently #4 on the career passing charts at NU. Pretty likely will be #2 a week from now. Not bad for a "RB who throws a pass every now and again."

Also will very likely be in the Top 10 all-time rushing at NU by the time he's done.

With 7 more passing yards, Martinez will be the 14th player in D-1 COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY with 2000+ rushing yards and 5000+ passing yards.

Not that there aren't things he could do better but exactly how high are people setting the bar?

It isn't really about getting Tommy experience as it is about getting anyone who runs the Wildcat best to run it. We could use some consistency on offense. When we get into 2nd and short or if we're at 1st & 15 or any of a number of different situations, we can throw a guy out there who runs a mean zone read like Rex and get a few reliable yards.

I put Tommy and Jamal's name up as well because they might offer a more legitimate passing threat out of that formation than Rex, but really whoever runs the ZR best probably could get the nod. ZR appears to be a fairly small part of the offense right now and I think we could expand it that way. We'd do well with it.

Getting Tommy 20 snaps a game isn't a waste though, if it really came to that. And it would set up a good competition going forward. I don't know if Tommy is needed for it though. Depends on Rex and Jamal. I feel like between the two of them, they could handle it and we can save the redshirt. Maybe Tommy's that darn good though, I don't know.

tumblr_li6ee9EYdY1qcs7sz.gif

Why would you take this guy off the field? For kicks and giggles?

Only games that taylor has looked "good" in are against nobody opponents.

:facepalm:

Taylor's Ohio State, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri wins, off the top of my head, were against "nobody" opponents?

Yes, facepalm. If you actually believe Taylor is the one winning our games, you are delusional my friend.

He gets all the blame when we lose and no credit when we win? It sounds like you, sir, prefer a scapegoat to rational thought.

• Fire 2

The defense is hemorrhaging yards and points on a Cosgrovian scale and we've got another thread going about Taylor Martinez.

He's thrown 4 INTs vs. 14 TDs.

He throws an INT 3% of the time he goes back to pass.

Meanwhile, the defense is:

92nd in the country in Rush Defense

49th in Total Defense

73rd in Scoring Defense

32nd in Pass Efficiency Defense

Thank god we've identified Martinez as the problem, and thank god we're ready to bench him for the next guy. Thank god we're bitching because this is the best we have.

Thank you! The meltdown has reached a preposterous low in this thread.