B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon so all this shifting ends and I hope the B1G adds good brand names (FSU, UNC, Texas, ND, Kansas) and not just focus on cable subscribers like it did with Maryland and Rutgers.

I agree with the post above in that the B1G missed out with Missouri.

I say eff it, B1G should expand to 24. Duke, UNC, UVA, Florida State, GT, Notre Dame, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Miami.

Why stop at 24. I say lets play this like the game of Risk and go for total global domination.

• Fire 1

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon so all this shifting ends and I hope the B1G adds good brand names (FSU, UNC, Texas, ND, Kansas) and not just focus on cable subscribers like it did with Maryland and Rutgers.

I agree with the post above in that the B1G missed out with Missouri.

I say eff it, B1G should expand to 24. Duke, UNC, UVA, Florida State, GT, Notre Dame, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Miami.

Why stop at 24. I say lets play this like the game of Risk and go for total global domination.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I just think that it's interesting all the universities being thrown around speculating on who is wanting/getting an offer. I'm not dissing anyone or any source, I just think that this is interesting and slightly funny.

If anything, that's why I appreciate Delaney--sure I don't agree with him on everything, but for f**k's sake, we're getting a fair deal in the B1G, we have someone that cares about the health and stability of the whole conference, and while Delaney does have an ego about him, it's kept in check.

All Nebraska fans ask for is a fair shot. We never received one in the Big XII, and won in spite of that--imagine what we can do with a conference that, more or less, plays fair.

This is true about Delany, it also makes me wonder how much longer is he going to be commissioner, and who succeeds him.

South Carolina and A&M are two of the hotter schools in the nation right now. One has a player that just made waves in CFB and won the Heisman as a freshman. The other has the best D-Lineman since Suh, one of the most well-known head coaches in CFB, and a solid team all the way around.

I realize that I put a lot of stock in football alone, but you have to believe that most of the people in the country look at it the same way. Football is sexy. Other sports are not. If basketball were sexy, Duke would be one of the hot ticket schools for conference expansion. Right now, they're not. When people suggest the B1G adding Duke, it's met with a "meh..." kind of reaction.

And with Penn State's recent controversy, and the fact that before Petrino got fired, Arkansas was getting preseason mention as NC contenders, that pretty much tells the tale. SEC additions at this point are superior to B1G additions. Of course, that's somewhat of a closed-minded thought process, and I can definitely see how you could say that Nebraska and Penn State make the B1G additions superior. But at this point, I don't think a majority of college football fans would agree with that.

That's why I keep stressing that these are long term decisions & that focusing on a very small time window is not the best way to look at it.

Remember you are looking at a South Carolina that has been in the SEC for two decades & then comparing it to a Rutgers which still early in the building process (& coming out of the big east). South Carolina in 1991 was even lower on the historical rung than Rutgers is right now. Where will Rutgers be in 20 years if they leverage B1G membership & continue to place an emphasis on building their FB program? Of course we don't know the answer to that but comparing Rutgers pre-move to South Carolina long after their move is very much apples to oranges.

Conversely Arkansas over the past 20 years has actually seen a drop off. They were actually a higher profile program at the end of the SWC.

Using your argument Wisconsin would be a bigger addition for a conference than Nebraska right now.

T-Shirt/mouthbreather fans are one thing but I don't think that anyone who is a serious college football fan believes for one moment that South Carolina & Aggie were better additions than PSU & Nebraska.

In 2055 very few people will remember the Sandusky scandal (unfortunately) & very probably the first decade of the 21st century will be looked at as just one of Nebraska's down periods (which every school has).

Of course there is also the possibility that CFB will be significantly less popular than it is now after the upcoming wave of class actions suits that are going to eventually hit due to the long term effects of head trauma. How will the B1G's strategy of focusing on major well rounded universities look in comparison to the semi-pro football mindset of the south at that point?

Oh and BYU will never be in the Pac. Never.

South Carolina and A&M are two of the hotter schools in the nation right now. One has a player that just made waves in CFB and won the Heisman as a freshman. The other has the best D-Lineman since Suh, one of the most well-known head coaches in CFB, and a solid team all the way around.

I realize that I put a lot of stock in football alone, but you have to believe that most of the people in the country look at it the same way. Football is sexy. Other sports are not. If basketball were sexy, Duke would be one of the hot ticket schools for conference expansion. Right now, they're not. When people suggest the B1G adding Duke, it's met with a "meh..." kind of reaction.

And with Penn State's recent controversy, and the fact that before Petrino got fired, Arkansas was getting preseason mention as NC contenders, that pretty much tells the tale. SEC additions at this point are superior to B1G additions. Of course, that's somewhat of a closed-minded thought process, and I can definitely see how you could say that Nebraska and Penn State make the B1G additions superior. But at this point, I don't think a majority of college football fans would agree with that.

That's why I keep stressing that these are long term decisions & that focusing on a very small time window is not the best way to look at it.

Remember you are looking at a South Carolina that has been in the SEC for two decades & then comparing it to a Rutgers which still early in the building process (& coming out of the big east). South Carolina in 1991 was even lower on the historical rung than Rutgers is right now. Where will Rutgers be in 20 years if they leverage B1G membership & continue to place an emphasis on building their FB program? Of course we don't know the answer to that but comparing Rutgers pre-move to South Carolina long after their move is very much apples to oranges.

Conversely Arkansas over the past 20 years has actually seen a drop off. They were actually a higher profile program at the end of the SWC.

Using your argument Wisconsin would be a bigger addition for a conference than Nebraska right now.

T-Shirt/mouthbreather fans are one thing but I don't think that anyone who is a serious college football fan believes for one moment that South Carolina & Aggie were better additions than PSU & Nebraska.

In 2055 very few people will remember the Sandusky scandal (unfortunately) & very probably the first decade of the 21st century will be looked at as just one of Nebraska's down periods (which every school has).

Of course there is also the possibility that CFB will be significantly less popular than it is now after the upcoming wave of class actions suits that are going to eventually hit due to the long term effects of head trauma. How will the B1G's strategy of focusing on major well rounded universities look in comparison to the semi-pro football mindset of the south at that point?

Oh and BYU will never be in the Pac. Never.

and the addition of MO did what for their conference?

To date Nebraska is the only tier1 program t o move in this era. Every other move from. Mizzou to Maryland has been adding a school that brings a new tv market without threatening the W-L record of the existing powers. When it happened the idea that atm could upset Bama was a joke for the boards.

If aTm is not a teir1 program (the arguments against them being teir1 are valid) they are as close as you can get to that group.

To date Nebraska is the only tier1 program t o move in this era. Every other move from. Mizzou to Maryland has been adding a school that brings a new tv market without threatening the W-L record of the existing powers. When it happened the idea that atm could upset Bama was a joke for the boards.

If aTm is not a teir1 program (the arguments against them being teir1 are valid) they are as close as you can get to that group.

And there is the argument school of thought that, had they not been under Texass' thumb this whole time, they would be more of a Tier 1 program that Texass was or is.

Of course, said school is located in Bryan, but the immediate evidence is rather compelling

So when are the next moves, 30, 60, 90 days? I guess it all hinges on sorting out the ACC $50 MM penalty thingy. I thought for sure Delaney had something up his sleve for right after the BCS CG to steal some thunder from the SEC.

I hope it happens soon as big stories keep me occupied at work commenting on articles, discussion boards, etc.

It's this, and only this. Depending how close the ACC gets to that $50 million figure, the dominoes will start falling; the closer the ACC gets to $50 million, the slower the process will be, and some pieces may have second thoughts on leaving.

Let's remember, though, most schools don't have an apparel magnate that can write a single check to bail them out like Maryland does.

I have a hard time believing the $50M figure is the actual hangup - even if the future payout of the Big Ten is lower than the $40M/annual figure that is being thrown about we're talking about schools making at least $10-$15M more annually compared to the ACC.

Any target school should be able to take out a loan for the $50M amount if required and even if the interest rates were high (7-8%) they will come out ahead NPV positive before 2020.

I have a hard time believing the $50M figure is the actual hangup - even if the future payout of the Big Ten is lower than the $40M/annual figure that is being thrown about we're talking about schools making at least $10-$15M more annually compared to the ACC.

Any target school should be able to take out a loan for the $50M amount if required and even if the interest rates were high (7-8%) they will come out ahead NPV positive before 2020.

Whenever money is involved it's given heavy consideration. Schools making decisions aren't just going to say "well we will just budget for 50 million and if it's less well great!" The other schools want to know what the fee will be before they decide on this.