B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Sometimes in those situations, you just have to make the move and let people get used to it. I would be interested to hop in a time machine back to summer 2010 and see what some of the Husker boosters thought about our move. I would bet that at the very least, a fair amount of those guys were iffy about the move. I was excited at the time, but I would be surprised if the majority of people shared my thoughts.

I read a lot of Neb fans reactions back in 2010 on various sites and articles. It seemed there were small groups strongly for and against but the majority was for the change after thinking things thru. Kinda like...the B1G does bad in bowls and we'll lose our traditional B8 rivalries to we'll have some great match ups with B1G teams, we'll get out under Texas, etc

I think the Maryland reaction might be a better comparison (although still not perfect). Most Terrapin fans were pretty negative about the move until the ones in support of it took the time to break down the positives. The general mood changed rapidly after that point.

If UNC does join the B1G I don't see anything like an A&M style revolt happening.

The biggest fear seems to be a belief that NCST would jump to the SEC and immediately become some sort of FB dynasty. I find that rationale pretty weak. UNC in the B1G would be on equal footing financially (at the very least), the only thing preventing them from maintaining their position would be an athletic department that doesn't utilize it's strength.

IMHO, Duke > Kansas. I'm admittedly biased.

You must really hate Kansas because seriously F' Duke.

What does the Pac-12 do in all of this? If the Big 12 stays together, who else can they add? Boise State, San Diego St and UNLV? Those names are nothing compared to FSU, Virginia Tech, UNC and GT.

I think everything hinges on the B10 and SEC final moves. When these two conferences are done acquiring, the remaining BCS conferences (ACC, B12, P12) will do their final re-shuffling. If B10 and SEC acquire 4-6 ACC schools; then B12 gets the remnants of any decent fb schools (ex clemson). I just don't see the PAC expanding unless something blows up in the B12 and the PAC goes after the Texas-OU combo as was offered a couple years ago.

What does the Pac-12 do in all of this? If the Big 12 stays together, who else can they add? Boise State, San Diego St and UNLV? Those names are nothing compared to FSU, Virginia Tech, UNC and GT.

Feasible non-footprint Pac-12 targets that won't kill the Big XII:

-Nevada (Very likely)

-UNLV (not likely)

-Boise State (not likely, but better odds than UNLV),

-Oklahoma/Okie Lite (very unlikely, unless Texass is courting the Pac-12)

-Kansas (possible, but no good read on if it's likely)

-Kansas State (not likely)

-New Mexico (not likely)

-New Mexico State (not likely)

I'm thinking though that it is possible...nay, plausible that if Texass, Oklahoma, and Okie Lite go to the Pac-12 (and likely Kansas to the B1G), the Big XII could carry on by picking up schools like Rice, Houston, Tulsa, Air Force, or Colorado State. So perhaps the Big XII isn't as doomed as I thought.

No, it's not sexy, and they're not 1:1 replacements by any stretch, but it would allow the then-Big XII remnants to carry on and keep getting TV money to some degree, as well as retain (and in the case of Air Force/CSU regain) television markets.

I think everything hinges on the B10 and SEC final moves. When these two conferences are done acquiring, the remaining BCS conferences (ACC, B12, P12) will do their final re-shuffling. If B10 and SEC acquire 4-6 ACC schools; then B12 gets the remnants of any decent fb schools (ex clemson). I just don't see the PAC expanding unless something blows up in the B12 and the PAC goes after the Texas-OU combo as was offered a couple years ago.

Yes and no. I could see the Pac-12 going after Nevada and one other school in the interim, regardless of what the B1G or SEC do, and then waiting out the storm and going after remnants of the B1G/SEC game of collegiate RISK.

Nevada wouldn't be a bad state for the Pac-12 to acquire, and it would be good for them to get Nevada before someone in the Big XII grows a brain and realizes they may want to grab viable schools to remain in existence.

was reading the thread on shaggybevo and they had some interesting things to say about the new acc buy out clause. apparently according to acc bylaws the new $50mil buyout cant go into effect until July 1.

just regurgitating what I read.

That would be hilarious.

UVA,UNC,GIT,DU, FSU,NCSU, VPI and CU could all be gone by then

Greg Swaim tweets:

#UNC likes #B1G academics, but Delaney wants #UVA over #Duke

#UNC won't budge without #Duke, so the pair have been talked to by the #SEC. Can't confirm the offer yet

I think it will work out in the end but for those who might want Kansas(me being one) will be disappointed and we might be stuck with worthless Duke.

Greg Swaim tweets:

#UNC won't budge without #Duke, so the pair have been talked to by the #SEC. Can't confirm the offer yet

I think it will work out in the end but for those who might want Kansas(me being one) will be disappointed and we might be stuck with worthless Duke.

Unless it's a package with UVA, Duke, NC, and Kansas. Ga. Tech and FSU (gawd, I wish) could come in later. :)

Greg Swaim tweets:

Unless it's a package with UVA, Duke, NC, and Kansas. Ga. Tech and FSU (gawd, I wish) could come in later. :)

You will have to choose Matthew,

FSU or KU because Delany wants to leave that extra spot for Our Mother.

GIT also hinted about wanting Duke in the Big Ten when their administration mentioned how they belonged in a conference with UVA,DU and UNC.