B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

This just in...

The "Catholic 7" are rumored to be retaining the Big East name, and adding Butler and Xavier from the Atlantic 10 conference. Also, Creighton may join them as early as next year!

http://espn.go.com/m...cording-sources

Huge for Creighton and Omaha if they end up in that conference. I think it might give UNO a shot to go after a Valley spot as well. I doubt the MVC wants to lose their biggest market.

This just in...

The "Catholic 7" are rumored to be retaining the Big East name, and adding Butler and Xavier from the Atlantic 10 conference. Also, Creighton may join them as early as next year!

I wonder if Note Dame is having seconds thoughts about their ACC commitment.......seems like the Catholic 7 aka the revised Big East would be a perfect fit for the Irish.

This just in...

I wonder if Note Dame is having seconds thoughts about their ACC commitment.......seems like the Catholic 7 aka the revised Big East would be a perfect fit for the Irish.

Not very much. We looked at it and saw that only basketball would be okay for our other sports.

l

A couple of SEC schools are being looked at for the Big Ten by the boys in Chicago, apparently.

one newbie and one charter member.

Mizzou and Vandy?

Yep. It's Vandy.

I can't imagine they'd throw almost a century of tradition away to move to the Big Ten but they are on the big board in the Chicago War room.

This just in...

Not very much. We looked at it and saw that only basketball would be okay for our other sports.

l

We looked at it? You work at Notre Dame?

A couple of SEC schools are being looked at for the Big Ten by the boys in Chicago, apparently.

one newbie and one charter member.

Mizzou and Vandy?

Yep. It's Vandy.

I can't imagine they'd throw almost a century of tradition away to move to the Big Ten but they are on the big board in the Chicago War room.

What possible value for exposure does Vandy bring to the table? I understanding acedemics but, how many sets are on a Vanderbuilt game. And what did FSU do that they are no longer a target? I have been hearing faint rumors, nothing concrete, just that they are off the table.

FSU isn't off the table.

They are actually ahead of KU, Mizzou and Vandy.

Taking UVA off the table since they submitted their paperwork it goes

1. UT

2. ND

3. UNC

4. GIT

5. FSU

Why they want Vandy? I think I know why but not a school I would add.

meh high school football,

mediocre tv markets,

not really a place where B1G alumni settle,

great University but they don't fit the Big Ten model of big and elite public grad schools

Another piece to get UNC to jump? that would make 3 outta the 4 states bordering NC Big Ten states.

So if the Big East is kicking everyone out except for the Catholic 7 and are adding Xavier, Creighton and Butler what is happening to Rutgers, Louisville,UConn,Cincy and USF for the 2013 season?

The Big East will remain the Big East as we know it right now through the 2013 season. Then in 2014 the Big East name will go to the catholic 7 teams with the Big East football teams having a new conference name.

So if the Big East is kicking everyone out except for the Catholic 7 and are adding Xavier, Creighton and Butler what is happening to Rutgers, Louisville,UConn,Cincy and USF for the 2013 season?

They already have their football schedules set so the easiest thing to do would be to just play the season out. Don't forget that Memphis, UCF, Houston & SMU are also set to start play in the *leftovers conference this year. Of course they'll have to rewrite the schedules for every other sport, but that shouldn't be an impossible hurdle.

*Former Big East

The Big East will remain the Big East as we know it right now through the 2013 season. Then in 2014 the Big East name will go to the catholic 7 teams with the Big East football teams having a new conference name.

According to the news that came out yesterday the timetable has been moved up & the 'new' Big East (C7 + X & Butler) will start play this upcoming season (2013-2014). Apparently Fox pushed to get it done.