B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

The simple idea.....no divisions. Each team has 3 protected games on a schedule each year and plays 7 of the 14 remaining teams in year one. Then plays the other 7 of 14 unprotected teams in the second year. CCG participants are the best two teams given a certain criteria; conf record, overall record, head to head, etc.

So, any thoughts?

This is against NCAA rules. For those conferences that follow the rules (read: every one but SEC) a CCG must match the winners of two divisions with at least 6 members each.

Anyone know why Boston College has not been in the conversation much? I thought they would be a good fit if the B1G went into "pods". We would need one other school to make it work, so lets just use Notre Dame or Virginia for the sake of argument.

Pod 1: Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, BC

Pod 2: Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio State, Notre Dame/Virginia

Pod 3: Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Indiana

Pod 4: Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin

Anyone know why Boston College has not been in the conversation much? I thought they would be a good fit if the B1G went into "pods". We would need one other school to make it work, so lets just use Notre Dame or Virginia for the sake of argument.

The main reason is, it's a small private school, far away from any other schools and doesnt offer big enough athletics to overcome some of those obstacles. Small fanbase, small stadium, weak tv numbers, soso teams.....and they arent AAU. If we forgo the AAU requirement, I'd rather have FSU.

The main reason is, it's a small private school, far away from any other schools and doesnt offer big enough athletics to overcome some of those obstacles. Small fanbase, small stadium, weak tv numbers, soso teams.....and they arent AAU. If we forgo the AAU requirement, I'd rather have FSU.

You're right. I misread it. I looked at Boston U.

Yes, Yes. Please take them.

The simple idea.....no divisions. Each team has 3 protected games on a schedule each year and plays 7 of the 14 remaining teams in year one. Then plays the other 7 of 14 unprotected teams in the second year. CCG participants are the best two teams given a certain criteria; conf record, overall record, head to head, etc.

So, any thoughts?

This is against NCAA rules. For those conferences that follow the rules (read: every one but SEC) a CCG must match the winners of two divisions with at least 6 members each.

Really. I didnt realize....So how does the pod system work out then? I must not understand the scheduling of a pod system, Below is what I used for one example in another post. I guess the problem with this is the CCG criteria? Or can you just rotate 'divisions' every year by matching different pods, and then still play everyone every two years? I guess I dont want to go to 18, and dilute the schedule.

West: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota

Central: Illinois, NW, Purdue, ND

Great Lakes: Mich, Ohio, Indiana, Mich St.

East: Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia

NU would play the three west pod teams every year (great for the fans and travel). For the other 6 conf. games NU would play the The entire central pod and 1/2 of the east pod. Year 2 you play the other half of the east and the great lakes pod. You keep this 2 year rotation, but alternate home and away. You get a home game with every big ten team every 4 years and play every team every two years. NU gets to go out east every year too. CCG is the best two teams. Not sure of the tie breakers.

Year 1: Minn, Wis, Iowa, Illini, NW, Purdue, ND, PSU, Maryland

Year 2: Minn, Wis, Iowa, OSU, Mich, MSU, Indiana, Rutgers, Virginia

repeat...

Interesting tweets from MHver3:

MHver3@MHver332m

As long as Dodds and Bowlsby continue to collude with Swofford and Swarbrick the B12 will be divided and risks falling behind.

MHver3@MHver331m

Toes have been stepped on. Lies have been told. Egos bruised. Nebraska may have been the smart one.

MHver3@MHver331m

2 opportunities to add valuable eastern partners completely squandered now. In total disbelief right now.

MHver3@MHver326m

When u have two teams willing to come in that drive up the revenue(twice now) and don't pull the trigger u dont need to keep your job

---

If legitimate, I have a feeling one of those schools was FSU. I don't think FSU wants to join the B1G, for some reason. Academics, probably.

Also, we all see/know why Dodds and Bowlsby aren't going to take on new members to the Big XII, right? Because that's just going to be that many more Plaintiffs headaches when Dodds and company blow out of town and leave whomever they ditch on the side of the road.

---

And, this is a given, but an older, yet relevant tweet on the subject:

MHver3@MHver36 Apr

If FSU or UNC bolt then the Big12/ACC alliance quickly becomes the Big12/ACC poachfest.

Some would say this is bad for the Big Ten but I would say it's even worse for the ACC. More conference member inequality and schools like FSU already wanted to bail. full ACC schedule ND isn't going to save you guys.

http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/sports/nbcsports/pressreleases?pr=contents/press-releases/2013/04/18/notredamenbcspo1366299482518.xml

The Big Ten will probably leave ESPiN in the near future for FOX or NBC anyway(FOX more than likely).

The Big Ten will probably leave ESPiN in the near future for FOX or NBC anyway(FOX more than likely).

Dunno. We're seeing how ESPN completely ignores those properties that don't play nice with their network. Is the B1G willing to go all-in on pissing off Bristol and losing Sportscenter time for a bigger payday from CBS, Fox, or NBC?

Plus, the B1G will be asking for decidedly more money for less inventory, as the B1G wants to put more of their Tier 2 games (e.g. Nebraska/MSU, tOSU/MSU) on the BTN so they don't have to share the revenue. So it's not like the B1G will be able to split the inventory between networks (a la the Pac-12) to make everyone happy, unless the B1G grows enough to where there's plenty of Tier 1 inventory to go around. That would require a NC, a FSU, a Texass to join, and it's not looking likely currently.

Frankly, if Larry Scott didn't have to worry about pissing off Bristol and getting excommunicated from coverage, the Pac-12 likely would have went all-in with Fox. It's unfortunately the political reality that won't change between now and 2015.

Ideally, Delaney would probably leave ESPN in a heartbeat if he could--remember, ESPN crapped all over Delaney's BTN idea, and Delaney hasn't been shy about displaying how wrong Bristol was with that. But the political reality is that they have to keep ESPN happy, somehow, or they risk being excommunicated from coverage. Unfortunately, that doesn't play well with kids (and the unwashed masses) who watch SportsCenter religiously.

They could split the product like the SEC does. They got their sweetheart game of the week with CBS but they are still getting an ESPiN network.

FOX Sports 1 and 2 need programming badly. The Big Ten would be the most attractive target and it probably isn't close since the SEC is locked up.

Dunno. We're seeing how ESPN completely ignores those properties that don't play nice with their network. Is the B1G willing to go all-in on pissing off Bristol and losing Sportscenter time for a bigger payday from CBS, Fox, or NBC?

Plus, the B1G will be asking for decidedly more money for less inventory, as the B1G wants to put more of their Tier 2 games (e.g. Nebraska/MSU, tOSU/MSU) on the BTN so they don't have to share the revenue. So it's not like the B1G will be able to split the inventory between networks (a la the Pac-12) to make everyone happy, unless the B1G grows enough to where there's plenty of Tier 1 inventory to go around. That would require a NC, a FSU, a Texass to join, and it's not looking likely currently.

Frankly, if Larry Scott didn't have to worry about pissing off Bristol and getting excommunicated from coverage, the Pac-12 likely would have went all-in with Fox. It's unfortunately the political reality that won't change between now and 2015.

Ideally, Delaney would probably leave ESPN in a heartbeat if he could--remember, ESPN crapped all over Delaney's BTN idea, and Delaney hasn't been shy about displaying how wrong Bristol was with that. But the political reality is that they have to keep ESPN happy, somehow, or they risk being excommunicated from coverage. Unfortunately, that doesn't play well with kids (and the unwashed masses) who watch SportsCenter religiously.

Yep. ESPN owns college football. If your conference wants to do business on the field then Mickey gets a cut.

I guess those posts were so nice, you had to quote 'em twice? :)

And Woody, yes, the B1G could do that. But Delaney, et al have implied numerous times they're going to Bogart all of the Tier 2 games they can for the BTN--there's no ESPN there to take their cut. So this is seriously going to cut into available inventory, and ESPN isn't going to like paying more for less, or even sharing with another network (CBS, Fox, NBC). Then again, the B1G is the free agent here...

And I'm thinking that NBC Sports may not be a bidder for B1G rights--they broke their piggybank going all in on EPL.