B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

According to the press release the GoR was effective immediately - the WV types are claiming that they have until July but I won't believe it until I see it.

As for future expansion, this in a way helps the Big Ten - the signs that the leadership was giving was that they wanted to put the brakes on expansion for a few years to digest Maryland and Rutgers while seeing if they can shake away some of the bigger schools...by the ACC signing the GoR, everyone gets about a decade of stability until it becomes time to renew...and both the Big XII and ACC GoRs expire within a year or so of each other.

BTW Woody, I thought you said that UVA to the Big Ten was a done deal? ;)

These things change all the time :P

UVA did submit paperwork for getting into the Big Ten. Let us see what happens here before we call that one a fail.

We know that UVA did everything with the B1G, short of putting in their formal application. Their admin were firmly in the pro-B1G camp last I knew.

I would still plan on UVA joining the B1G, and we'll probably see something shortly on this.

And I wonder if the B1G knew about the GOR and this is why Delaney, et al, were rumored earlier to be talking with some of the low-hanging SEC fruit (e.g. Mizzery, Vandy).

I could honestly see the B1G letting Virginia slip in as #15, Mizzery as #16, and standing pat until someone (read: the SEC) decides to blow up the GOR for everyone.

Virginia and Mizzou as the #15 and #16? that would be ok with me if Texas won't budge.

strengthens both East and West in several sports.

If anyone moves first then I think its Mizzou to set off another chain reaction when the SEC comes looking for teams.

I don't know. Other than the AAU angle, I would feel like they(Delany) are settling for whatever is there instead of pursuing what they want

Virginia and Mizzou as the #15 and #16? that would be ok with me if Texas won't budge.

strengthens both East and West in several sports.

If anyone moves first then I think its Mizzou to set off another chain reaction when the SEC comes looking for teams.

I don't know. Other than the AAU angle, I would feel like they(Delany) are settling for whatever is there instead of pursuing what they want

UVA would be the 4th school on the checklist. Texas, ND and Carolina would be top 3.

UVA would be a homerun in everything else except a top tier football school. Everything else is an A.

Mizzou would be a reach. Could be a necessary reach to get things going again. They aren't a terrible choice for expansion though. not a 'A+' addition, Just a 'B-' or something.

Someone brought up an interesting theory. This GoR doesn't go into effect until next year I heard( don't know for sure).

It could be a way for FSU to force the Big Ten's hand into taking them now.

I've heard it goes into effect after Maryland and the ACC settle their case...and considering both sides had an agreement in principal recently...

...oh, and yes, it's also out there that the ACC could have settled a lot sooner, but since they saw their court battle with Maryland was keeping expansion forces at bay, they strung it out so they could hammer out the GOR to try and lock stuff down. If true...this could mean that Delaney got played, big time.

Also, don't forget that Virginia has all but "formally" applied for B1G membership. Would be interesting to see if that still happens before the GOR goes into effect, or if they stay where they're at.

In addition everything I have read says that all ACC members are on board to keep the conference together. Of course it can all be positioning but what I read specifically pointed out the this agreement included FSU so forcing the the B1G's hand to join now may not be in the works. Just what I saw.

That window is closed. You can thank a school up north for dragging their feet and getting snooty about academics.

Read this comment with regard to how binding the GORs are....

As one buddy with a wicked sense of humor said, “Do you really think Texas would sign up for something it couldn’t get out of?”

I love the 24 hour pivot from "The GOR locks schools down forever" to "all contracts are breakable." The same people reversed themselves based on a change in parties.

For your buddy, if UT's Big house was on fire, they would certainly sign a contract with the fire department that would last until the house was rebuilt.

My personal take on expansion for the Big Ten has been that it would be more strategic for them to pick off the Big 12 (Ideally OU, KU, and Texas...and not sure about the last school, Mizzou if possible?) and 'enclose' the Southern states between the ACC and SEC. I really do think that the cultural differences between the Southern states and the rest of the country will cause more headaches than it's worth for a conference that values stability like the Big Ten.

While that means giving up some of the recruiting access of the talent rich South, that is tampered by the large number of schools that compete in that footprint (30.5 schools between the ACC, SEC, and AAC [just counting USF and UCF here]..), an expanded Big Ten will be the defacto game in town for the all the non-Southern states aside from the West coast - which should make for plenty of talent to draw from.

The only thing problem here is that the non-college sports fan in me would prefer my alma mater be associated with the likes of UVA and UNC over anything the Big XII remnants offer...Texas excepted.

...ah well. I guess we'll see what happens in a few years!

As one buddy with a wicked sense of humor said, “Do you really think Texas would sign up for something it couldn’t get out of?”

I love the 24 hour pivot from "The GOR locks schools down forever" to "all contracts are breakable." The same people reversed themselves based on a change in parties.

For your buddy, if UT's Big house was on fire, they would certainly sign a contract with the fire department that would last until the house was rebuilt.

It was not my buddy, it was quote from omaha.com. The author was Lee Barkfknecht. I guess it was his buddy.

I thought it was funny. I doubt it was meant to be serious.

It was not my buddy, it was quote from omaha.com. The author was Lee Barkfknecht. I guess it was his buddy.

I thought it was funny. I doubt it was meant to be serious.

It's probably true and funny.

There hasn't been a pivot in the 24 hours by some folks--there have been people all along saying that GORs are nothing more than paper tigers that just require a long, relentless, and costly (paper) chase to catch and kill.

That, and no conference with a GOR wants to be the one that challenges it in court, as that could potentially slit one's proverbial throat. So the challenge to GORs will either come from a deep pocketed school that wants out from under one (e.g. Texass and their dirty oil money), or a deep pocketed conference that doesn't have one and isn't worried about the lack of a GOR (read: the SEC).

Plus, all that has to be done is the B1G picks off Mizzery, and this starts a chain reaction that puts us back to daily crazy expansion talk once again.

Yup. Delaney won't break a GOR because the B1G uses one, so he's down to a couple of moves--an SEC team or former Big East team.

If the B1G poaches Mizzery, as alluded to in the article, then the SEC will be forced to break the GORs for everyone to get a worthwhile 14th (not to mention 15th or 16th) member. If successful, this move would then declare open season on conference poaching realignment once again. It would also politically align all surviving BCS conferences against the SEC.

It would be interesting to see how this plays out at the next NCAA meetings if the SEC does break GORs for everyone...popcorn drama indeed...and the SEC is just foolish and full of itself enough to do this.

I suppose given the landscape now, if I were Delany, I would make a run at Missouri and maybe even Vanderbilt. They aren't the sexiest picks but it would be cool to see him poke the SEC in the eye. Cincinnati and Connecticut from the Big East do not give you much so I don't see the draw there.

Unless where someone eluded to earlier or on another thread that Texas would not agree to anything they couldn't get out of, then this would be the direction to go.