Paul Ryan Does Charity Work

Charity president: Paul Ryan "did nothing" at soup kitchen photo-op

The head of a charity in northeastern Ohio where Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan and his family were photographed cleaning dishes over the weekend said Monday that Ryan was not authorized to be on the premises and "did nothing" while there.

Brian J. Antag, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society in Youngstown, told the Washington Post that the Romney campaign had not asked to make the Saturday visit to the soup kitchen. He said that he runs an apolitical faith-based organization which has bylaws barring it from hosting political candidates, and that the visit jeopardized donations from private individuals.

"He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall," he said.

Ryan was photographed cleaning "large metal pans that did not appear to be dirty" during a 15-minute visit, the Post previously reported. While television cameras rolled and photographers snapped pictures, the Wisconsin congressman discussed washing dishes while he was younger. He said he would get calluses on his fingers due to the heat from the industrial machine.

When Ryan arrived on the site in the early afternoon, the kitchen was clean and the dining area was empty, according to a pool report. After his time in the kitchen Ryan spoke to homeless people outside the soup kitchen, but reporters were kept from monitoring the conversation.

That's the kind of sh#t I'd do if I was a politician. I'd at least have the foresight to pay off anyone who could narc me out.

just spend the day actually helping. it is not hard to find something to do to make yourself useful at a soup kitchen. also, the real issue is how they barged in just for a photo-op, meaning they effectively did more harm than good.

That's the kind of sh#t I'd do if I was a politician. I'd at least have the foresight to pay off anyone who could narc me out.

And put on a dirty apron, not a clean apron still creased from the laundry. It takes maybe five minutes doing dishes for that crease to disappear.

And put on a dirty apron, not a clean apron still creased from the laundry. It takes maybe five minutes doing dishes for that crease to disappear.

This guy gets it.

I'd totally have a bandana on my head too.