One point wins

Its hard to accept one point wins,after blowing out opponents for decades.Times change,but if you are a Husker fan,act like one.Support the team.

You see that is the problem. Most still look at NW as some doormat team that is not good. That just isn't the case anymore. Most BCS conference teams are respectable enough that if you don't come to play they are going to give you a go. NW is not just respectable they are a decent team that can play with most good teams.

NW to most Husker fan is like Iowa St. a team that we should just walk through. Except ISU is a decent team that you better bring your A game or you are in for a dog fight.

It's not 1985 anymore. Lots of solid team out there.

Criticize the defense or offense all you want. I don't care. I will take 12 one point wins a year over one 30 point loss a year. I'm proud of the Huskers on the road today. Way to come back!!!!

What about 1 point wins over teams you should beat by 30 and at least two 30 point losses a year? That's where we are at now. Your statement is a far off land from reality. Winning 12 games by one point would mean we are able to win games against tough opponents in primetime when it counts. I would take that in a heartbeat. However, we routinely get dump trucked in those spots while leaving a giant sh!t stain on the field.

For some reason, it's like this 1 point win over an unranked team has somehow negated the blowouts, like it disproves anything you could derive from a 30 point loss because they came back and barely squeezed one out against mediocre team who has bested powerhouses such as Indiana and Minnesota (the former was smacked down by Ball State). Yes, of course if I had a choice I would prefer an undefeated season to a season with 30 point losses. What kind of silly options are those? It's not the fact that it was a 1 point win, it was a one point win after two humiliating losses in the first half of the season. As far as a marker of where the team is, a 1 point win against Northwestern carries with it almost the exact same information a 1 or 2 point loss would have-- they are essentially equal teams. For all the times you can cite NU shooting themselves in the foot that game, Northwestern did the same. So many over-thrown-but-open receivers, dropped passes, etc. We got lucky that they were just a little bit worse than we were on Saturday.

Yes, this is a "W," but it doesn't carry much meaning except that it's one more tally mark toward a bowl game. What does it tell us about how good the team is or how likely they are to secure more Ws to put in their W jar? If you look at it in terms other than just the binary, W-L dichotomy, it felt closer to a loss than a good win. Hell, I actually ended up feeling bad for Northwestern and not in the same way I felt bad for Pacific in the 90s.

Criticize the defense or offense all you want. I don't care. I will take 12 one point wins a year over one 30 point loss a year. I'm proud of the Huskers on the road today. Way to come back!!!!

Thank you SPH. Never liked Minneapolis much but was always comfortable in SP.

T_O_B

I'll take that win all day. Things obviously need to improve, but I do think credit needs to be given to northwestern as well...they were well coached and played with passion.

On a side note: when are we husker fans going to stop playing the coulda/woulda/shoulda game EVERY week? Bo is fine, will be great. Martinez is fine, could be great. Husker fans are great, and need to act that way.

I don't even know what the point of this thread is. I'm pretty sure every sports fan on the planet will take any number of 1 point wins over any number of any kind of losses.

People aren't so upset by the fact that we won by "only" 1 point, they're upset that this team has so many issues that are never fixed. Rampant turnovers being one of those issues. Coming out flat on a regular basis is another. It's great that we won, but the way this team is playing is kind of worrisome. We can squeak out these victories against lesser opponents in spite of the sloppiness, but a good team will destroy and embarrass us on national TV.

I agree with that, JP. Our Huskers are a far better team than we give ourselves credit for, and it stinks that they keep coming out flat enough to not show it on the scoreboard. Hopefully everything is put together for MICH though.

Exactly. We have a ton of talent, especially on offense. We should be able to outgun every team on our schedule, yet we have more lost fumbles than any other team in the country and a lack of consistency, so it's making the season so far a lot tougher than it should be. It's really frustrating to watch.

What about 1 point wins over teams you should beat by 30 and at least two 30 point losses a year? That's where we are at now. Your statement is a far off land from reality. Winning 12 games by one point would mean we are able to win games against tough opponents in primetime when it counts. I would take that in a heartbeat. However, we routinely get dump trucked in those spots while leaving a giant sh!t stain on the field.

For some reason, it's like this 1 point win over an unranked team has somehow negated the blowouts, like it disproves anything you could derive from a 30 point loss because they came back and barely squeezed one out against mediocre team who has bested powerhouses such as Indiana and Minnesota (the former was smacked down by Ball State). Yes, of course if I had a choice I would prefer an undefeated season to a season with 30 point losses. What kind of silly options are those? It's not the fact that it was a 1 point win, it was a one point win after two humiliating losses in the first half of the season. As far as a marker of where the team is, a 1 point win against Northwestern carries with it almost the exact same information a 1 or 2 point loss would have-- they are essentially equal teams. For all the times you can cite NU shooting themselves in the foot that game, Northwestern did the same. So many over-thrown-but-open receivers, dropped passes, etc. We got lucky that they were just a little bit worse than we were on Saturday.

Yes, this is a "W," but it doesn't carry much meaning except that it's one more tally mark toward a bowl game. What does it tell us about how good the team is or how likely they are to secure more Ws to put in their W jar? If you look at it in terms other than just the binary, W-L dichotomy, it felt closer to a loss than a good win. Hell, I actually ended up feeling bad for Northwestern and not in the same way I felt bad for Pacific in the 90s.

You do realize that the only reason NW wasn't ranked is because their name is Northwestern, right? If that were Texas, Notre Dame, or even Nebraska, they would have been ranked at least in the top 20, considering their only loss this year came to a quality, and improving Penn State team.

Hell, if that were Notre Dame's resume, they'd probably still have been in the top 15.

The sloppy play that leads to narrow wins against the likes of Wisconsin and Northwestern (and a narrow loss to UCLA) leads to blowout losses to the likes of Ohio State and Michigan. The frustrating part is we have the talent to beat the Ohio States and Michigans of the world, we're just far too undisciplined to do so. The only thing were consistent in doing is getting in our own way. At least we show consistency in one aspect!

Did I go to sleep and miss the Mich game or is TD just cobsiding a 'blowout loss?'

T_O_B

You do realize that the only reason NW wasn't ranked is because their name is Northwestern, right? If that were Texas, Notre Dame, or even Nebraska, they would have been ranked at least in the top 20, considering their only loss this year came to a quality, and improving Penn State team.

Hell, if that were Notre Dame's resume, they'd probably still have been in the top 15.

Of course, they lost to a Penn State team that lost to Ohio. They'd totally be in the top 15.