No homer, but still

tmfr15

I think Northwestern was a good opponent. They should be competitive in any game they play. It was a solid victory. I was just confused by their game plan. They probably could have hung 45+ on us if they kept Siemian on the bench.

Pelini is inept at stopping slowing down running QBs, Fitzgerald should know that as well as anyone.

I am not playing a "one-sided what if" game at all. In fact... just the opposite. NU did have opportunities that they did not capitalize on --- several interceptions that their poor technique and inability to execute resulted in ending up as lost opportunities. Our (that is, NU's) ineptitude resulted in all sorts of lost opportunity (as it does most weeks)... and our opponents ineptitude (their dropping clear INT's) saved NU from being further exposed. The point is... NU played very, very poorly and won only because NW played slightly more poorly still. No one earned a victory in that game... NW simply was a smidge worse. Both those teams would have lost that night to just about any D1 school. They were both pathetic... and NU was LUCKY they played a team slightly more pathetic that evening than they were.

Because they cannot count on Michigan playing as badly as NW did, then the Sker's better improve dramatically on Saturday night or they will get stomped. Any performance akin to the Ohio State or NW performances (both about equally bad for NU's part) and the Huskers get smoked.

That said... the Huskers have a great deal of talent... largely unrealized on the field... but with the talent they have, there is reason to think that someday they will play up to the level of their talent... if that day is Saturday, the Huskers have a chance...

a good chance.

Wait wait wait. When Northwester drops sure INT's, it's our fault-bad throws. When WE drop ints, it's our fault-poor technique, no execution. Yes, you are playing one sided.

Serious question. Does the sun ever shine at your house?

I merely wish to point out that, at least in my opinion, the NW game does not really represent progress for the Huskers (generally). They played no better (overall... and factoring in the differences between the opponents) against NW than they did against OSU. So... Husker fans... I contend that no real progress since the blowout has been made.

Until... hopefully this Saturday... where vast improvement will be necessary so as not to get smoked.

That would be the only thing I disagree with. When watching that game, our team took accountability for their actions. When we had a lineman get through untouched, to sack Taylor, Cotton called him out on it, and he shook his head, knowing it was his fault. From then on, no one came through untouched. Our real progress was Defense. Two plays got by us. One passing play, and Venric Martin's 80 yard run. I know its the if game, but IF Stafford would have been where he was suppose to be, that play would have gone for 15 yards, but then again, Martin could have broke the tackle. I am just pointing out, that our defense had two bloopers during that game, which is uncommon for how they have played. They played with their heads held high, and worked together to get eachother in position. The defense didn't look confused. First game I think Pelini didn't have to call timeout because someone didn't know where they were suppose to be. Defense progressed the most after the OSU game, and I expect that to carry over to the Michigan game, with the same scheme. Like I said before, Colter had 15 carries, and got nowhere on each of them. Colter is a better player than Robinson IMO.

I merely wish to point out that, at least in my opinion, the NW game does not really represent progress for the Huskers (generally). They played no better (overall... and factoring in the differences between the opponents) against NW than they did against OSU. So... Husker fans... I contend that no real progress since the blowout has been made.

Until... hopefully this Saturday... where vast improvement will be necessary so as not to get smoked.

That would be the only thing I disagree with. When watching that game, our team took accountability for their actions. When we had a lineman get through untouched, to sack Taylor, Cotton called him out on it, and he shook his head, knowing it was his fault. From then on, no one came through untouched. Our real progress was Defense. Two plays got by us. One passing play, and Venric Martin's 80 yard run. I know its the if game, but IF Stafford would have been where he was suppose to be, that play would have gone for 15 yards, but then again, Martin could have broke the tackle. I am just pointing out, that our defense had two bloopers during that game, which is uncommon for how they have played. They played with their heads held high, and worked together to get eachother in position. The defense didn't look confused. First game I think Pelini didn't have to call timeout because someone didn't know where they were suppose to be. Defense progressed the most after the OSU game, and I expect that to carry over to the Michigan game, with the same scheme. Like I said before, Colter had 15 carries, and got nowhere on each of them. Colter is a better player than Robinson IMO.

not an unreasonable assessment. I hope you are right. What makes it tough to assess --- comparing your assessment to my earlier one (which comes to a different conclusion) --- is that the level of competition in the two games was so wildly different (OSU on that day vastly superior to NW on that day).

As for Colter being better than Robinson... well, Robinson is really, really streaky. When he plays well (which is ca. 33% of the games or so over time), he is flat awesome... a wrecking crew that Colter cannot even begin to be compared with --- as Robinson when hot is VASTLY superior to Colter. That said, when Robinson is bad... he is quite bad and then, he for that game plays well beneath the level of Colter. So... at least as I see it, Robinson is just as likely to pretty much be a non-factor as he is to dominate and take over the game --- it depends upon which Robinson shows up. At his best, he exceeds any QB we have faced by a pretty good margin, even OSU's QB (who is much more consistent and, on average, at least as good, if not better than Robinson). But a Robinson playing well can spell doom for the opponent. But... fortunately, Robinson playing poorly (which is just as likely) usually spells doom for Michigan.

Let us root for a bad Robinson this Saturday.

We can't play one good quarter and three mediocre to poor quarters to win this football game. It might have worked against NW, but Michigan is better than NW. If we play even three good quarters, we should win this game.

How is Michigan better than Northwestern? Michigan has yet to beat anyone impressive, as Northwestern has stuffed its competition, besides us, and a very good PSU team? You stop Robinson, you stop their whole offense. Northwestern, they have more playmakers than Michigan. I would put my money on Northwestern's offense over Michigan's. Michigan, they have a good defense, but they also, have yet to be tested, besides by Alabama, and they took a thrashing. Our defense is mediocre, but is getting better. I wouldn't say ND's offense tested them, because we all know, ND is not good offensively. For heaven's sake, they beat MSU by 2 points! MSU's defense is good, but if Michigan's offense was "that" good, they should have won by more. PSU I think has the best defense in the big 10.

What is funny about some fans these days is pretty evident in posts about NW. They're so interested in finding things to back up their beliefs (aka, Pelini needs to go, etc), they refuse to even see any positives. Nebraska put together a great drive to put themselves in a position to win that game. Our defense also came up with enough fire to, even after dropping a gimme interception (or two? can't remember), force them into a 53 yard field goal - not an easy field goal.

Bitch about the negatives all you want and refuse to acknowledge some of the positives. It just shows what kind of fans those people are.

I like how we are pretending that Braxton Miller ran the ball 25+ times on us, and 10+ times more than Colter ran the ball against us:

Braxton Miller--16 car, 186 yards (11.6 avg), 1 TD

Kain Colter--14 car, 35 yards (2.5 avg), 0TD

Northwestern wasn't having any success running with Kain Colter, and the average shows that. The defense deserves some if not all of the credit for that.

As a preview, here are DRob's rushing stats so far:

10 car, 27 yards (2.7 avg), 1 TD--Alabama

20 car, 218 yards (10.9 avg), 2 TD--Air Force

10 car, 106 yards (10.6 avg), 1 TD--UMass

26 car, 90 yards (3.5 avg), 0 TD--Notre Dame

24 car, 235 yards (9.8 avg), 0 TD--Purdue

11 car, 128 yards (11.6 avg) 2 TD--Illinois

20 car, 96 yards (4.8 avg) 0 TD--Michigan State

I like how we are pretending that Braxton Miller ran the ball 25+ times on us, and 10+ times more than Colter ran the ball against us:

Northwestern wasn't having any success running with Kain Colter, and the average shows that. The defense deserves some if not all of the credit for that.

Colter rushed for 15 attempts and went nowhere. Why continue something that wasn't working? Our defense went in with a great scheme, executed and played well, why can't you just accept that?

Like I said before, Colter had 15 carries, and got nowhere on each of them. Colter is a better player than Robinson IMO.

I have said this multiple times in this thread, but people have selective reading, and don't like to read positive things, because it might make them have a different outlook.

Michigan has all the talent needed to burn Nebraska, but sometimes the bad Michigan and bad Dennard Robinson show up (just like Nebraska) so it really is a combination of schemes, adjustments and mostly attitude. Which coach can keep his team's head in the game? Because we have enough talent to win, too.

There will be a game this year when the Husker's win the turnover battle. Right?

I hope it's this one.

This is a good point. I don't think there's any question Braxton and Denard are much more dynamic runners than Kolter. I also think that if Kolter would have gotten more runs he would have eventually broke the defense. I've seen it to many times to think otherwise. I suppose that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is if we can slow down Robinson.

Stop trying to get my hopes up.

I guess we'll find out if our defense (specifically front 7) is closer to the Michigan States and Notre Dames of the world, or if we're closer to Air Force and Purdue.

We can't play one good quarter and three mediocre to poor quarters to win this football game. It might have worked against NW, but Michigan is better than NW. If we play even three good quarters, we should win this game.

How is Michigan better than Northwestern? Michigan has yet to beat anyone impressive, as Northwestern has stuffed its competition, besides us, and a very good PSU team? You stop Robinson, you stop their whole offense. Northwestern, they have more playmakers than Michigan. I would put my money on Northwestern's offense over Michigan's. Michigan, they have a good defense, but they also, have yet to be tested, besides by Alabama, and they took a thrashing. Our defense is mediocre, but is getting better. I wouldn't say ND's offense tested them, because we all know, ND is not good offensively. For heaven's sake, they beat MSU by 2 points! MSU's defense is good, but if Michigan's offense was "that" good, they should have won by more. PSU I think has the best defense in the big 10.

NW has beat only one team with a winning record which is Minnesota. Michigan has beaten two teams with winning records. If one isn't impressed with who Michigan has beaten, I can't for the life of me see how they can be impressed with who NW has beaten. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks who is better between Michigan and NW. I'll be putting my money on Michigan. NW doesn't have the talent Michigan does.

This is a good point. I don't think there's any question Braxton and Denard are much more dynamic runners than Kolter. I also think that if Kolter would have gotten more runs he would have eventually broke the defense. I've seen it to many times to think otherwise. I suppose that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is if we can slow down Robinson.

Stop trying to get my hopes up.

I guess we'll find out if our defense (specifically front 7) is closer to the Michigan States and Notre Dames of the world, or if we're closer to Air Force and Purdue.

I think there is a difference between DRob and Braxton compared to Colter. But the fact that it would've taken Colter 30+ carries to rack up close to 100 yards running should at least indicate that, if the defense can play the way they did last week against Michigan, that if DRob runs for 100+, he'll do so on 20 carries. I could live with that.

Northwestern has beaten a Vanderbilt team, who is very underrated, who has only lost to ranked opponents, with the only exception of Northwestern. All top 10 teams.

The only team Michigan has beaten with a winning record was Purdue, being 4-1 when they met. Illinious, Massachusetts, Air Force, and Michigan State do not have winning records, and none are impressive enough to put on your record as a "valuable win"