No homer, but still

tmfr15

Northwestern has beaten a Vanderbilt team, who is very underrated, who has only lost to ranked opponents, with the only exception of Northwestern. All top 10 teams. The only team Michigan has beaten with a winning record was Purdue, being 4-1 when they met. Illinious, Massachusetts, Air Force, and Michigan State do not have winning records, and none are impressive enough to put on your record as a "valuable win"
Yeah well, Michigan beat Illinois who beat Western Michigan who beat Connecticut who beat Maryland who beat Virginia who beat Penn State who beat Northwestern.

LOL. I don't know how you did that but it was funny how you put the victory chain together.

http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/default.asp?winner=Michigan&loser=Northwestern&year=2012&method=2#.UIgwa2dKN1F

• Fire 1

Northwestern has beaten a Vanderbilt team, who is very underrated, who has only lost to ranked opponents, with the only exception of Northwestern. All top 10 teams. The only team Michigan has beaten with a winning record was Purdue, being 4-1 when they met. Illinious, Massachusetts, Air Force, and Michigan State do not have winning records, and none are impressive enough to put on your record as a "valuable win"
Yeah well, Michigan beat Illinois who beat Western Michigan who beat Connecticut who beat Maryland who beat Virginia who beat Penn State who beat Northwestern.

LOL. I don't know how you did that but it was funny how you put the victory chain together.

http://myteamisbette...=2#.UIgwa2dKN1F

Interesting. Nebraska is better than Michigan http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/default.asp?winner=Nebraska&loser=Michigan&year=2012&method=2

with the logic:

Nebraska beat Wisconsin

Wisconsin beat Purdue

Purdue is better than Michigan (because Purdue only lost to Notre Dame 20 - 17

while Michigan lost to Notre Dame 13 - 6)

I like that better than the flip of that.

http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/default.asp?winner=Michigan&loser=Nebraska&year=2012&method=2

I think we can all agree it is difficult to apply the transitive property to a bunch of college kids. Due to the limited practice time, they are learning things during games and their performance can change significantly throughout the year. A good example is Wisconsin's apparent O-line improvement. Would we still beat them? I see our defense improving and saw enough during the NW game to make me think we have a good chance versus Michigan. Homer up! GBR!!!

Something's gotta give.

We haven't lost a night game at home in 4 years.

We're 30-5-1 in night home games. All 5 losses were to teams that finished with 10+ wins.

UM is 4-4 on the road under Hoke.

DR does not play well on the road.

But..... we can't stop a mobile QB.

Question: Did they have mobile QB's in the NFL? Didn't Bo coach in the NFL? You have to believe that the guy HAS to be able to figure out how to stop a mobile QB. With all of the experience he's had on defense you would think he would know. When he was at LSU did they play teams that had mobile QB's? What did he do then? This just can't be that great of a mystery!

Lady Hawk,

Very few mobile QB's in the NFL and really none that I can think of when Bo was coaching in the NFL.

They are coming in now from the spread type offenses.

The SEC was more of power conference when Bo was coaching there I think.

I think it comes down to stubborness, to do it his way. We will see how he fairs this weekend. I think this game is important enough for him to look at it differenty. Make changes. Hope we celebrate a victory.

Did you go to the UCLA game and ride your bike or was that Moraine.

Something's gotta give.

We haven't lost a night game at home in 4 years.

We're 30-5-1 in night home games. All 5 losses were to teams that finished with 10+ wins.

UM is 4-4 on the road under Hoke.

DR does not play well on the road.

But..... we can't stop a mobile QB.

Question: Did they have mobile QB's in the NFL? Didn't Bo coach in the NFL? You have to believe that the guy HAS to be able to figure out how to stop a mobile QB. With all of the experience he's had on defense you would think he would know. When he was at LSU did they play teams that had mobile QB's? What did he do then? This just can't be that great of a mystery!

They may have had "mobile" qbs. Steve Young. Randall Cunningham. John Elway. Warren Moon. But never in the NFL has there been a true "dual threat" as we're seeing from a lot of these college qb's. There is a difference.

Another thing, Bo was never a DC in the NFL. Dont know if that makes a difference or not but a fact nonetheless.

At LSU I remember one game in particular during their '07 Natty Champ season where Darrin McFadden of Arkansas shredded Bo's defense in an overtime win from the wildcat. (yes, the stupid wildcat was effective at one time). Never paid much attention other than that.

I think there is a difference between DRob and Braxton compared to Colter. But the fact that it would've taken Colter 30+ carries to rack up close to 100 yards running should at least indicate that, if the defense can play the way they did last week against Michigan, that if DRob runs for 100+, he'll do so on 20 carries. I could live with that.

Rewatched the Northwestern game. I still think they really misused Colter against us. The difference between how Miller was used against us and how Colter was used against us is so different it's hard to use that as a comparison. Same with Robinson. When Colter was at QB, it was going to be a running play. The defense knew that. The QB draws on 3rd and 10 were doomed from the start. It seemed like about half his carries were on 3rd or 4th and short, and he was successful at converting about 100% of the time in those situations. So to say we "stopped" him is a pretty big misconception.

Like with Miller, Robinson will be at QB every snap. He'll be a threat to run or pass, and he'll have an opportunity to make something happen with his feet on every play. Two things that were taken away from Colter because he only took a tiny percentage of the snaps at QB.

At LSU I remember one game in particular during their '07 Natty Champ season where Darrin McFadden of Arkansas shredded Bo's defense in an overtime win from the wildcat. (yes, the stupid wildcat was effective at one time). Never paid much attention other than that.

We used Martinez in the same way against Northwestern several times, and it was very effective. It seemed like he got about 8 yards a pop with all those blockers out in front of him. I hope we use that more than the zone read from here on out.

We used Martinez in the same way against Northwestern several times, and it was very effective. It seemed like he got about 8 yards a pop with all those blockers out in front of him. I hope we use that more than the zone read from here on out.

It's effective with Martinez because there is still a passing threat, even with designed runs. But also, recall the 4th and 3 we were stuffed on. We had ran that play quite effectively a few times already. Martinez on a simple QB sprint away from the trips. This time NW guessed right into it because of the run-favored situation. I know it's hindsight so I wont be critical of it, but rather make the point that this woulda been the perfect time for a PA Pass out of that set, which they had done before with Taylor taking a simple couple of jab steps one way, then dropping into a pass.

The point I was making with the wildcat is that with a RB or WR back there, there still isnt a legitimate passing threat. That's why the wildcat is pretty obsolete already. Defenses adjusted to it pretty quick.

Dont be surprised if we dont see some play-pass out of that designe qb sprint away from the trips this weekend, or even some throwback spot passes. Run the sprint away for a few step, then do a throwback to the trips to Turner with Bell and Enunwa lead blocking. Them two blocking would give the play more of a run disguise to start, which should enhance the play.

I was going to say, I don't think I saw a single Wildcat formation against Northwestern. We did have the wildcat against Wisconsin, with Burkhead taking the snap and giving it to Abdullah. I am sure we will see that again! That was probably one of the best calls I have seen from Beck, mainly because it was completely unexpected. It would be a tie between that, and the triple toss, Martinez to Burkhead, Burkhead to Abdullah for the 6pts we had against Michigan last year. Left Hoke saying "WTF was that?" lol

It's effective with Martinez because there is still a passing threat, even with designed runs. But also, recall the 4th and 3 we were stuffed on. We had ran that play quite effectively a few times already. Martinez on a simple QB sprint away from the trips. This time NW guessed right into it because of the run-favored situation. I know it's hindsight so I wont be critical of it, but rather make the point that this woulda been the perfect time for a PA Pass out of that set, which they had done before with Taylor taking a simple couple of jab steps one way, then dropping into a pass.

You're not talking about the play where Kyler Reed went the wrong way and blocked our own O Line instead of the NW guy, are you? Because there's no telling what happens on that play if Reed doesn't go left.

http://myteamisbette...=2#.UIgwa2dKN1F

Greatest Time Suck EVER!!!

+1