First time visitor to Nebraska

aggies

First time visiting Nebraska this weekend. Looking for suggestions on things we must do Saturday. We'll be staying in Omaha Friday so suggestions on what to do there would also be appreciated.

Little background - Last year a buddy and I started a yearly road-trip to big time college stadiums. We visited South Bend last year for ND v USC.

I've heard lots of great things about Nebraska from our Big 12 days so I'm really looking forward to taking everything in on Saturday. Hoping for a great game and will definitely be pulling for the Huskers.

One thing you will be amazed on... its not just corn here ;) Lol

I honestly don't know much about Lincoln besides the yearly Americruise & NU Stadium. When I go to games, I just tailgate and hit the downtown bars after the games. If your a drinker, the bar scene is very nice. It all depends on what your in to really. There is a nice Museum off of Vine too if I remember correctly.

I lived in Omaha for 25 years. To me, there is nothing that is a "must experience" but again, depends on your taste. If its not too cold, the pedestrian bridge downtown is very nice as well as the surrounding monuments they have by the lake. There are some good places to eat downtown as well, such as Spaghetti Works. The Zoo is pretty good, but not sure if you want to do the Zoo on a Friday, then have a game on Saturday.

You'll want to try Valentino's Pizza and a Runza before you leave :)

Make sure you make it to Memorial for the Tunnel Walk.

I would also spend some time just walking around campus. It's a pretty cool one.

Runza is a place to try, forgot about that place lol. I am not of fan of the runza's, as cabbage isn't my thing, but their burgers are delicious! Best "fast food" place around. Living in Des Moines, you don't have a place like that lol.

• Fire 1

They only serve hamburger pizza at the game, and it's very basic and cheaply made. It's the worst of the worst when it comes to Val's. Get it if you must, but I'd recommend avoiding it. It's nothing special.

Also, see this thread, which we are behind on updating, but which will (hopefully) give you some other tips. Usually in threads like this someone has already mentioned Lazlo's by post #9, but that's not the case so far. So consider this the requisite recommendation of Lazlo's at 7th & P street in the Haymarket. Microbrew beer and the best pub food in Lincoln.

Places to sit down and eat:

-Valentino's Buffet (not the pizza pickup places)

-Runza (any will suffice)

-Misty's (for Prime Rib, go to Havelock)

-Lazlo's (great gastro brewpub. Better beer than any of the DFW brewpubs, at any rate...)

-La Paz (if you feel the need for north of the Mason-Dixon line TexMex)

-UNL Dairy Store (located on East Campus, worth a stop-down; hell, Dr. Tom took Jim Delaney there to discuss our entry to the B1G, so history was made there)

-Vincenzo's Ristorante (if you're in for some good Italian).

-Tastee Inn (the place is a fraking dive, wear some kevlar, but they make excellent 'loose meat' sandwiches--think sloppy joes with spices instead of sauce--and onion petals and dip that are excellent. Great-tasting gut bomb, especially if your hotel roommate pisses you off)

-Zesto's: Best ice cream place north of the 34th parallel (and my Texas-born aTm wife said the ice cream is better than Blue Bell, so there's that...)

Places to eat if you're hitting "O" street and need a 'fourthmeal':

-YaYa's Pizza

-Oso Burrito (think Chipotle before they were on the map)

-The Mill (in the Haymarket--great coffee house, even in spite of Starbucks proliferation)

Things to do in Lincoln while you're there:

-Old Cheney Farmer's Market (Sunday, Oct 28th, is the last day of the season)

-Visit the State Capitol Building (a.k.a. The Penis o' the Plains)

-Catch some culture at the Leid Center for the Performing Arts

-Visit the Museum of American Speed (http://www.museumofa...com/default.dlp)

To go along with matthew_m_g's post, you'll hear a lot about Misty's being a Husker tradition. People are referring to the restaurant at Havelock, not the downtown restaurant. I know it's anecdotal, and they'd go out of business downtown if everyone had the same experience I've had, but the only two times I've gone to the downtown Misty's I've had terrible service. Downright rude wait staff, slow, uncommunicative, the works. Shockingly bad, considering how great the Havelock restaurant is.

Very much recommend OSO Burrito and YiaYia's. Both owned by the same guy, as a matter of fact. He owns Marz as well, and you can't get a bad item of the menu at any of those three joints.

Places to eat if you're hitting "O" street and need a 'fourthmeal':

-YaYa's Pizza

-Oso Burrito (think Chipotle before they were on the map)

-The Mill (in the Haymarket--great coffee house, even in spite of Starbucks proliferation)

Things to do in Lincoln while you're there:

-Old Cheney Farmer's Market (Sunday, Oct 28th, is the last day of the season)

-Visit the State Capitol Building (a.k.a. The Penis o' the Plains)

-Catch some culture at the Leid Center for the Performing Arts

-Visit the Museum of American Speed (http://www.museumofa...com/default.dlp)

That's off the top of my head, at any rate. Folks--please add and correct/educate me if I messed something up here.

Is this the Mexican joint that is always packed every year the Americruise is there? I believe its around the corner of a shopping center or something like that.