First time visitor to Nebraska

aggies

Places to eat if you're hitting "O" street and need a 'fourthmeal':

-YaYa's Pizza

-Oso Burrito (think Chipotle before they were on the map)

-The Mill (in the Haymarket--great coffee house, even in spite of Starbucks proliferation)

Things to do in Lincoln while you're there:

-Old Cheney Farmer's Market (Sunday, Oct 28th, is the last day of the season)

-Visit the State Capitol Building (a.k.a. The Penis o' the Plains)

-Catch some culture at the Leid Center for the Performing Arts

-Visit the Museum of American Speed (http://www.museumofa...com/default.dlp)

That's off the top of my head, at any rate. Folks--please add and correct/educate me if I messed something up here.

Is this the Mexican joint that is always packed every year the Americruise is there? I believe its around the corner of a shopping center or something like that.

OSO is a burrito joint downtown on O Street, on the Centennial Mall (what would be 15th street) corner.

-YaYa's Pizza

-The Mill (in the Haymarket--great coffee house, even in spite of Starbucks proliferation)

That's off the top of my head, at any rate. Folks--please add and correct/educate me if I messed something up here.

Is this the Mexican joint that is always packed every year the Americruise is there? I believe its around the corner of a shopping center or something like that.

OSO is a burrito joint downtown on O Street, on the Centennial Mall (what would be 15th street) corner.

That would be the place! That place is definitely good, and not over priced at all!

-YaYa's Pizza

Yeah, I don't know about 'Americruise'.

I just know that OSO Burrito helped me absorb a lot of alcohol back in my college days. :)

I always hit up the Tastee Inn the day after a game. Nothing is better to help absorb the alcohol in my system.

I was going to say this...but I didn't want to scare them off or get them shot. :)

And I've updated the list above.

Also, a question--is the Green Gateau any good? And WTF happened to P.O. Pears?

Pears went bye-bye when the owner decided that he was getting older and his clientele wasn't, and he was just kinda tired. He retired and sold it off. It's Red9 now, and I've never been since it reopened. I hear it's OK.

Green Gateau is good. It's a unique restaurant in Lincoln. I don't eat there much, although I probably should go there more often. If we go once a year I'd be shocked. I think we go less than that.

You'll want to try Valentino's Pizza and a Runza before you leave :)

Make sure you make it to Memorial for the Tunnel Walk.

I would also spend some time just walking around campus. It's a pretty cool one.

Runza is a place to try, forgot about that place lol. I am not of fan of the runza's, as cabbage isn't my thing, but their burgers are delicious! Best "fast food" place around. Living in Des Moines, you don't have a place like that lol.

I live in Seattle now and my first meal when I was in Omaha for a business trip was Runza. Cheese Runza and their Chese Burgers are great. Don't forget their french fries either... Hungry for Runza now.

Val's pizza at game>>>>>>>>>>Val's pizza st restaurant. And i know MANY people who feel the same.

Did you know there are kitchens beneath the stadium where that pizza is made that day? I never knew this until running a concession stand at the Idaho St. game. I presume they do the same for the runzas.

Val's pizza at game>>>>>>>>>>Val's pizza st restaurant. And i know MANY people who feel the same.

Did you know there are kitchens beneath the stadium where that pizza is made that day? I never knew this until running a concession stand at the Idaho St. game. I presume they do the same for the runzas.

Thats fine by me. To me, it just tastes better. They should use those ovens in their restaurants.

I wouldn't drive all that way and then go to a fast food place. Nebraska has a lot more to offer than Runza and Valentinos (which I both like...but I'm in NE a little more than he is). Just my opinion though. If you're staying in Omaha then you need to get down to Old Market Friday night when you get there.

I disagree with KC. I'm from Nebraska, but I don't live there anymore. When I come back into town, Mom meets me at the airport with a bag full of Runzas of all different varieties. Also, go to a Valentino's buffet in the restaurant, not just one kind of pizza.