What's with offenses stopping to look over at the bench?

A few times Nebraska lined up and were set and then seemingly for no reason they'd pull up and everyone would look over at the bench and then they'd get back in their stances. I first saw this same thing with Utah a couple of weeks ago. They'd be in their stance ready to snap the ball when suddenly everyone goes into a weird loll mode and looks towards the bench, and then play would resume. And they were doing it on nearly every play. Anyone know what that's about?

They are looking to the sidelines for plays and audibles. With the "high speed" offense, teams rush to the line of scrimmage and see how the defense lines up against the formations. The players then look to the sideline for calls and adjustments.

Thanks. I've never seen teams do that before until I saw Utah doing it.

It's been going on for about half a decade or so...

I don't believe that's true. What I'm talking about is they get down in their stance and then stand back up and then behave as if they're under some type of spell ... . Anyway, I don't want to beat it to death.

It's completely true and yes, he understands what you're saying..................it's normal play.

I don't believe that's true. What I'm talking about is they get down in their stance and then stand back up and then behave as if they're under some type of spell ... . Anyway, I don't want to beat it to death.

It's completely true and yes, he understands what you're saying..................it's normal play.

They're being a bit aggressive, but yes, that type of offense has existed for awhile. But, it has become much more prevalent in the last few years, including Nebraska.

It's been going on long enough that you see it often times even at the high school level now. It's really surprising you haven't seen it before now.