Watching the Michigan State game again

My amateur opinion too and based on my own experience with strength training. Chase Rome also looks overweight. I don't see the fat weight being useful for anything but making it more difficult to be pushed around. It certainly doesn't make you more athletic and mobile. Our 90's O-linemen looked big but lean. I could tell that a lot of their weight came from muscle which is more dense then fat and more useful.

Obviously they have to have some weight on them, but I would assume (along with their skill) we recruit these guys for their frame so we can put the weight on if need be. Some of our freshmen D line may need to cut fat too, they're pretty big guys. Nice thing coming in and cutting weight or changing your make up is it's the easiest way to get more athletic.

Just from personal experience it's amazing 1) how relatively easy it is to drop 20lbs and maintain your current strength (it takes commitment but it's not that bad) and 2) how much quicker and more mobile you become. Playing a rough game of pick up football as a linemen 2 years and 15lbs out of high school and I felt like I could fly around like Clay Matthews.

Not to dampen anyone's spirits, but I think we got majorly lucky at the end. Take a look at the winning TD and you'll see none other than RT Andrew Rodriguez getting away with obvious holding. If that flag gets thrown, there's a ten second runoff and time runs out.

Not to nit-pick but that wouldn't have been a 10 second runoff. The time runoffs are only when there's a pre-snap penalty with the clock running - false start, illegal formation, etc.

I obviously haven't watched the game to scout his entire performance, but it definitely seemed that Rodriguez was playing pretty poorly. I mean, 2 false starts, on the same drive? Figure it out.

AR had 1 false start but the second one MSU had clearly jumped offsides. Other than those 2 penalties, did anyone see anything that suggests AR played poorly?

He looked pretty poor to me. Especially the play he totally whiffed on 2 guys and Taylor got creamed. He's gotta block ONE of them.

I hate to pick on Huskers but ARod has really been struggling the last three or four games. There's been more than a few plays where he hasn't blocked anyone. My DVR is on the fritz so I haven't gotten to re-watch as much as usual so maybe he is playing well some of the time but he's been very noticeable for several bad plays recently.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but just under five minutes left in the first half after Evans gets called for PI, MSU Coach yells "You guys suck". In my profession, reading lips is something I have picked up on, but you can hear "SUCK" at the end.

Obviously you don't know who he's talking to for sure, but you have to wonder that if a coach is saying this towards another team after a PI call, and you have some pretty dirty plays with your players, makes you wonder if this culture comes from the coach.

I don't care what Bo does on the sideline, but I've never seen him be classless on the sidelines towards the other team.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but just under five minutes left in the first half after Evans gets called for PI, MSU Coach yells "You guys suck". In my profession, reading lips is something I have picked up on, but you can hear "SUCK" at the end.

Obviously you don't know who he's talking to for sure, but you have to wonder that if a coach is saying this towards another team after a PI call, and you have some pretty dirty plays with your players, makes you wonder if this culture comes from the coach.

I don't care what Bo does on the sideline, but I've never seen him be classless on the sidelines towards the other team.

It should be obvious that the Michigan St coaching staff is managing a pretty dirty culture up there. It's a given based on their on-field actions. No if's, and's, or butt's about it. Outside of 1 or 2 boneheaded instances in maybe a whole season, you just dont see crap like that here. It's a reflection on the culture and the staff.

Whoo! This annual game has some real bad blood potential. I can see the necessary ingredients present for it, too.

We'll probably never embrace Iowa as a true rival, because they're like a miniature version of Colorado, when the Buffs were actually good. They've got enmity for us that we can't truly reciprocate because we honestly don't care about them as much as they do us. Iowa fans are great at talking a whole bunch of garbage, but unfortunately, their teams generally are pretty good at producing the same thing on the field. Iowa fan has had bizarre hate for us for years. I think indifference is the best way to piss them off royally.

Michigan will always, always be fixated on one program in the conference. We've already seen a little of it over here, on a Nebraska board. That's legitimate, straight up hate.

MSU and Michigan are in-state rivals, and that game will always, always be massive to both teams. But Sparty knows they're second fiddle to the Buckeyes in the eyes of the Wolverines.

I could just see this thing turn into a yearly slugfest full of big hits and a palpable undercurrent of animosity. This keeps up for a couple of years, Michigan State could end up being one the major teams we want to beat no matter what every year. I'd love to see that develop.

-FWIW, I don't agree with all the "MSU is a dirty team" talk that's going on, I gotta be honest. They play with an edge, no doubt about it. I'm not saying I'm right, it just strangely endears me to them a little. They play throwback football a little...mean spirited. It ain't like we're total choir boys either, and I don't WANT us to be. I remember Martin barking in Maxwell's face after he laid him out. The more physical the game, the more guys are gonna go after each other. And I for one like games like that.

Especially when you rip their friggin' hearts out at the last second on their home turf, and piss their HC off enough to where he actually shoves a camera away from him during his grim march to midfield. Never seen Bo do that, by the way...

Whoo! This annual game has some real bad blood potential. I can see the necessary ingredients present for it, too.

We'll probably never embrace Iowa as a true rival, because they're like a miniature version of Colorado, when the Buffs were actually good. They've got enmity for us that we can't truly reciprocate because we honestly don't care about them as much as they do us. Iowa fans are great at talking a whole bunch of garbage, but unfortunately, their teams generally are pretty good at producing the same thing on the field. Iowa fan has had bizarre hate for us for years. I think indifference is the best way to piss them off royally.

Michigan will always, always be fixated on one program in the conference. We've already seen a little of it over here, on a Nebraska board. That's legitimate, straight up hate.

MSU and Michigan are in-state rivals, and that game will always, always be massive to both teams. But Sparty knows they're second fiddle to the Buckeyes in the eyes of the Wolverines.

I could just see this thing turn into a yearly slugfest full of big hits and a palpable undercurrent of animosity. This keeps up for a couple of years, Michigan State could end up being one the major teams we want to beat no matter what every year. I'd love to see that develop.

-FWIW, I don't agree with all the "MSU is a dirty team" talk that's going on, I gotta be honest. They play with an edge, no doubt about it. I'm not saying I'm right, it just strangely endears me to them a little. They play throwback football a little...mean spirited. It ain't like we're total choir boys either, and I don't WANT us to be. I remember Martin barking in Maxwell's face after he laid him out. The more physical the game, the more guys are gonna go after each other. And I for one like games like that.

Especially when you rip their friggin' hearts out at the last second on their home turf, and piss their HC off enough to where he actually shoves a camera away from him during his grim march to midfield. Never seen Bo do that, by the way...

Most of the Big10 plays pretty hard nosed football. You'll just notice it more from MichStake because they have the little brother complex.

The MSU quarterback, I think in the late 3rd or 4th, took a huge shot to the head because he was scramling on a 3rd down play. It was a designed run actually, and he got taken down to his knees then smashed by someone else. He was wobbling all the way to the sideline - I wonder if that affected, or spooked him - the rest of the game.

Don't think so. Sideline reporter said they went over their to check on him and he look at them and said "don't worry about me I'm fine."

Tough kid, could be trouble next year.

No he won't. Michigan State's offense is a pro-style joke. Now, if Mark Dantonio decides to start recruiting mobile, agile, dual threat QBs we could be in trouble. But for now, we will absolutely own Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and any other BIG school that uses a pro-style, pocket passer.