first trip to Iowa...Where to stay, what to do?

Alley

This will be our first trip to Iowa City. I'm not going to pay $350 to spend the night thursday at a iowa city hotel... Was thinking Cedar Rapids or Iowa 80 truck stop? Or is there anyplace close there Huskers tend to stay? What about bars to hit up or a place to eat on Thursday night in Iowa City?

I'm planning on making the trip. With an 11:00 kickoff and RIDICULOUSLY high hotel prices, this trip has become more difficult. Hotel prices are looking like $275 and up. I would look for hotels on the fringe of Iowa City. Cedar Rapids is only 30 minutes North. There is also another small town 30 minutes West on I-80 that has 3-4 hotels for pretty darn cheap.

Depending on where you are traveling from, but if your coming from Omaha, stay in Des Moines for the night. Its a 2hr drive from here to Iowa City, and its a straight shot. I am waking up at about 6 am to head out and will tailgate until 11, leaving me 3hrs, which will be plenty of time. Great hotels off of I-80/I-235 in the Des Moines area, Exit 121 for example.

This will be our first trip to Iowa City. I'm not going to pay $350 to spend the night thursday at a iowa city hotel... Was thinking Cedar Rapids or Iowa 80 truck stop? Or is there anyplace close there Huskers tend to stay? What about bars to hit up or a place to eat on Thursday night in Iowa City?

Sleep Inn, Mount Vernon, Iowa

Straight up Highway 1 from IC

This game should be more fun than it is but that 11am kickoff really ruins things for both parties. This should be a 2:30 game each year. Tons of people have off, it is an easy drive if it is at 2:30 where you can leave in the morning and still get there with time to spare and party (assuming you live in the 4-5 hour radius), it is a no brainer.

Sleep Inn, Mount Vernon, Iowa

Straight up Highway 1 from IC

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to reserve a couple rooms there now. I still havn't got my tickets yet. I can't believe the prices people are asking on craigslist. $150-$200 on average. Stubhub looks flooded with overpriced tickets as well. Hoping in a week or so people will get real and drop there prices.

Just wait to buy your tickets. Depending on what happens this weekend and beyond for the Hawks, I know they will get cheaper. Hawk fans are selling, and I have had a few say its not going to be worth standing in the cold, getting the ball ran down our throats. I hope Kinnick has a good amount of red in it.

I wish I could go since I'm at Iowa State. Especially if it would work out to drive back and watch the ISU/WVU game but, neither is going to happen and I'll just enjoy some time at home in the Cornhusker State. I was on a club trip and we stopped by to see the Hawkeye Express the day of the Penn State game. If you want to save on parking and get dropped off right at the stadium I'd recommend it. Just be prepared when you walk around Iowa City in Husker gear you get stared at like a zoo animal.

I was there two weeks ago when Iowa was on the road. That town is dead when their is no game in town. At least Lincoln's bars have some people in them on away games. The amount of apathy shown by their "fans" is unbelievable. They don't act like they even care that they are getting their ass beat every week. Nobody mad when something bad happens, just ho hum.

They also had dogs in the bar, wearing sunglasses. Hippies everywhere like Boulder. It was eye-opening to say the least. Lot of strange birds there in Iowa City.

I wish I could go since I'm at Iowa State. Especially if it would work out to drive back and watch the ISU/WVU game but, neither is going to happen and I'll just enjoy some time at home in the Cornhusker State. I was on a club trip and we stopped by to see the Hawkeye Express the day of the Penn State game. If you want to save on parking and get dropped off right at the stadium I'd recommend it. Just be prepared when you walk around Iowa City in Husker gear you get stared at like a zoo animal.

Lol I will be wearing all that husker gear, but not in the stadium since I am standing in the students section (got hooked up in Sept. with a ticket). I regret buying it now since I can almost bet tix will drop like crazy.