Penn State 1st Quarter Defense

beanman

So Penn State has given up 3 points all year in the first quarter unless I'm mistaken and we've been getting off to slow starts. Do we buck the trend this weekend and jump on them early?

Also, Abdulla needs 174 yds rushing to hit 1000 on the season. Does it happen this weekend? I'm predicting yes.

I really hope we give them a hefty dose of Kyler Reed. I'm not sure they have the backers to cover him

Michael Mauti? Gerald Hodges? They have two great LB's to cover Kyler or Cotton.

We need to run the ball, and run the ball well. Janovich and the Oline get some good blocks, we should have no problem taking advantage of PSU with outside rushes. They are slower than MSU, take advantage of it. Running up the middle we will have more of a problem with.

Taylor's been looking Reed's way often, he just hasn't been getting open and making the catch, or the throws have been just a little bit off.

I'd love to see PA on the first play. Send Q, Bell, Reed, and Turner deep on 4 deep seems. Let's burn em.

Agreed, a nice PA in the beginning would be great to see, or even a Zone Read, something they wouldn't expect because we haven't done it all year.

I really hope we give them a hefty dose of Kyler Reed. I'm not sure they have the backers to cover him

Michael Mauti? Gerald Hodges? They have two great LB's to cover Kyler or Cotton.

We need to run the ball, and run the ball well. Janovich and the Oline get some good blocks, we should have no problem taking advantage of PSU with outside rushes. They are slower than MSU, take advantage of it. Running up the middle we will have more of a problem with.

Taylor's been looking Reed's way often, he just hasn't been getting open and making the catch, or the throws have been just a little bit off.

I'd love to see PA on the first play. Send Q, Bell, Reed, and Turner deep on 4 deep seems. Let's burn em.

Agreed, a nice PA in the beginning would be great to see, or even a Zone Read, something they wouldn't expect because we haven't done it all year.

I'm not doubting they are good linebackers but can they run with Reed was kinda my question

I hope we buck the trend but we also start slow, of course we also tend to get better as the game goes so maybe penn state being good early shows that they tend to slack as the game moves along and that will work to our favour. Who knows but I think we can go over 30 and they will be lucky to clear 24. Course I'm heading to the game and I am on the koolaide for this one.

Kyler isn't very fast. Hodges is a converted Safety, who plays LB very well, and he is fast enough to cover Kyler. Mauti, is fast enough as well. I have a feeling we will play Cotton much more for blocking, and enforce our running game.

Mauti is not much of a cover guy, he is very much a run filler and a very good one. Get him moving sideline to sideline and he hurts his team a bit.

Kyler isn't very fast. Hodges is a converted Safety, who plays LB very well, and he is fast enough to cover Kyler. Mauti, is fast enough as well. I have a feeling we will play Cotton much more for blocking, and enforce our running game.

didnt they say that kyler runs somewhere in the 4.5 range, he may not be as fast as some of or wide receivers but he's still a miss match for a lot of backers although your right about hodges that dude can fly

Lo Siento. I guess I just always assumed Kyler had some speed. Guess it's not blazing but I still think he can out run most linebackers. Might be wrong, could be right but when its all said and done we'll call it a night? I dunno, it rhymes so its true

What? Reed runs a 4.54 40 and was a WR in Highschool. He's one of the faster TE's in college football and is the reason he's such a matchup issue for defenses. Mauti is a good second slower (4.64) than Reed and Hodges is even slower (4.75).