Huskerboard Members: Would/Do you let your kids play tackle football?

Maxconvert

This is a huge topic now for all categories of football-the impact of concussions, head injuries, and subconcussive damage to the head over time for football players. For those who haven't been following this stuff closely, one of the first experts in "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" (basically head contact related brain damage and early dementia) Robert Cantu is now recommending no tackle football for any kids until age 14 or so. This is a good article that sums it up http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/11/pop_warner_football_kids_should_not_be_allowed_to_put_on_helmets_and_knock.html. Apparently there's even research now that 7 year old players get as much brain jarring as adult players.

I really think ten years from now there will be a huge dropoff in the amount of kids whose parents let them play full tackle football, which will really change the game as we know it. We are just seeing the effects of rules changes right now, but eventually this will really alter recruiting.

I have a 3 year old son and one year old daughter. I love, love, love watching football with them and teaching them the important gestures (touchdown, throwing the bones, and first down), but if my kids want to play sports when they are older, I'm going to steer them to things other than football. The more we learn about it, football just seems too dangerous, especially looking at it as a parent. I wouldn't go as far to forbid it, however.

With my genes, my son wouldn't be seeing the football field anyway. We're an Ultimate frisbee family. :B)

Sports are an important way of learning socialization, teamwork, and toughness, and freaky injuries can happen in any sport, but the near-inevitabilty of long-term damage in football players is something a parent like me doesn't want to deal with, especially brain injuries.

I have three boys. One is 13 years old and is a very, very good player and hits like a freight train. He has never experienced a concussion or complained of any thing related to his head. He is also in every accelerated gifted course the school offers

My middle son is in his second year of playing in pop warner and will continue to do so. My youngest is to young to play right now, but I am sure he will follow in his brother's footsteps, although I will not push him to do so.

I have a lot of mixed emotions about how frantic the 'experts' are making everyone about the game. I was able to play for many years (including college) and while sustaining three concussions myself, am not experiencing any long term effects....as of yet (now 40 years old).

I don't think football will ever die or "minimize". There are just as many kids playing football, if not more, than there ever has been. There have been many studies done over the years saying the same things. I think they are smarter by making the game safer, but its the thrill and the competition that makes this game so enjoyable. Not only are they making the game safer by rules, they are constantly trying to upgrade safety equipment to prevent these said injuries. If my kid wants to play, I am not going to stop him. I would actually encourage it. So, in other words, yes I would.

Not only would I let them, but I hope he does. I also hope that I dont become one of those nutty fathers that pushes him to do this or that. It's his choice in the end, but as a nearly 5-year old, based on his actions this season, wanting to play is probably not going to be an issue. Our town has a 6 year old flag league he already wants to play in. Getting him to understand he's too young is like pullin teeth.

As one who played many sports as a kid, looking back, football was the most beneficial to me. It is the ultimate team sport but is played on such an emotional level that it teaches youngsters about adveristy and attitude and focus, most of which may not be realized until playing days are over.

This is a huge topic now for all categories of football-the impact of concussions, head injuries, and subconcussive damage to the head over time for football players. For those who haven't been following this stuff closely, one of the first experts in "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" (basically head contact related brain damage and early dementia) Robert Cantu is now recommending no tackle football for any kids until age 14 or so. This is a good article that sums it up http://www.slate.com..._and_knock.html. Apparently there's even research now that 7 year old players get as much brain jarring as adult players.

I really think ten years from now there will be a huge dropoff in the amount of kids whose parents let them play full tackle football, which will really change the game as we know it. We are just seeing the effects of rules changes right now, but eventually this will really alter recruiting.

I'm not sure it will change the game too much in regards to college football. Rural HS maybe, but you have to consider the demographic that most of these kids are plucked from. An abnormal percentage of their parents aren't concerned about something like this. I'll probably get bashed for saying this - but the kids recruited into D1 football are disproportional short on middle class white kids w/ access to or concern about this information. Those are the helicopter parents that will be preventing their kids from playing football - not an inner city single mother working 2 jobs to support her family.

I have only daughters as of right now. I would prefer that my kids do not play contact sports (soccer is getting pretty bad for girls as far as ACL's and concussions). I love watching football and realize that there is some hypocrisy in my position, but then again, I don't remember any of these kids parents asking my opinion...

The more we learn about the brain, and the effects of these activities, the more restrictions will be forced into place.

Its not the kids will stop playing...its that schools will stop offering it. I have a feeling that it will start to happen.

I think you're right. We're already seeing lawsuits from former NFL players who now have dementia, depression, or other debilitating injuries now. That's where all this crackdown business from Gooddell is coming from...to have a defense in the courtroom when future litigators ask them "shouldn't you be held liable for this condition that you did nothing to prevent?" There's been several well-publicized cases of former football players committing suicide, Junior Seau is the best example. In a few years there we'll prob start seeing lawsuits against universities, high schools, or the NCAA for the same reasons.

This is a huge topic now for all categories of football-the impact of concussions, head injuries, and subconcussive damage to the head over time for football players. For those who haven't been following this stuff closely, one of the first experts in "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" (basically head contact related brain damage and early dementia) Robert Cantu is now recommending no tackle football for any kids until age 14 or so. This is a good article that sums it up http://www.slate.com..._and_knock.html. Apparently there's even research now that 7 year old players get as much brain jarring as adult players.

I'm not sure it will change the game too much in regards to college football. Rural HS maybe, but you have to consider the demographic that most of these kids are plucked from. An abnormal percentage of their parents aren't concerned about something like this. I'll probably get bashed for saying this - but the kids recruited into D1 football are disproportional short on middle class white kids w/ access to or concern about this information. Those are the helicopter parents that will be preventing their kids from playing football - not an inner city single mother working 2 jobs to support her family.

Even rural areas I don't see it happening. At least here in Iowa, they are all about their football, escpecially the rural areas. I think High School football is talked about more here, than it was when I lived in Omaha. Kind of odd to me, because I don't follow High School sports, unless its got to do with Husker recruiting.

Even rural areas I don't see it happening. At least here in Iowa, they are all about their football, escpecially the rural areas. I think High School football is talked about more here, than it was when I lived in Omaha. Kind of odd to me, because I don't follow High School sports, unless its got to do with Husker recruiting.

You guys are probably right that it will be the more upper-class parents that would restrict their kids first, but once regulations and rules restricting stuff get started it will affect all kids

I have only daughters as of right now. I would prefer that my kids do not play contact sports (soccer is getting pretty bad for girls as far as ACL's and concussions). I love watching football and realize that there is some hypocrisy in my position, but then again, I don't remember any of these kids parents asking my opinion...

The more we learn about the brain, and the effects of these activities, the more restrictions will be forced into place.

I only have a little girl right now, but any sport you can get an ACL injury, except maybe Chess lol. We are huge into softball, at least my other half is, and that is what we will be encouraging her to play, same with Cross Country and Track. I think sports are essential to society, as it teaches discipline and respect, depending on your coach. Most likely my girlfriend will be doing coaching for her things.