Head Coach Salaries in the B1G

GSG

year after year, stunned that Ferentz still has a job. and most Iowa fans I talk to still like the guy.

There are actually fans of Iowa football?

Yes, and sadly, they are the most devoted fans I have ever met. Some very rude, but they support their school no matter what, win or lose. Out of all the years I have known my girlfriend's family, the only time I have ever heard them call for anyone's head, was O'Keefe.

I had a talk with my girlfriend, and she said she was tired of losing. I told her, the only chance they have in taking that next step, is finding a new HC. He is too old school, and too conservative. Out of 5 years, its the only time I heard her say, it might be a good idea to show Ferentz the door and get someone in that can recruit. Same goes for most of the Hawk fans I work with.

year after year, stunned that Ferentz still has a job. and most Iowa fans I talk to still like the guy.

Yes, and sadly, they are the most devoted fans I have ever met. Some very rude, but they support their school no matter what, win or lose. Out of all the years I have known my girlfriend's family, the only time I have ever heard them call for anyone's head, was O'Keefe.

I had a talk with my girlfriend, and she said she was tired of losing. I told her, the only chance they have in taking that next step, is finding a new HC. He is too old school, and too conservative. Out of 5 years, its the only time I heard her say, it might be a good idea to show Ferentz the door and get someone in that can recruit. Same goes for most of the Hawk fans I work with.

yup, hang out at the bar here w/ a huge Hawkeye fan. he was talking a lot of crap going into the season - doesn't say much now. but I can't get him to say anything negative about the situation either. so, they are either oblivious to reality - or so used to decades of being a bottom dweller that they just don't really care that much anymore. maybe the delusional part is them thinking going into the season they are going be worth a sh!t. about 4 weeks into the season they are pretty grounded in their expecations however.

yup, hang out at the bar here w/ a huge Hawkeye fan. he was talking a lot of crap going into the season - doesn't say much now. but I can't get him to say anything negative about the situation either. so, they are either oblivious to reality - or so used to decades of being a bottom dweller that they just don't really care that much anymore. maybe the delusional part is them thinking going into the season they are going be worth a sh!t. about 4 weeks into the season they are pretty grounded in their expecations however.

A lot of it I think had to do with the hiring of Greg Davis. He was suppose to magically make these sub par kids into extraordinary athletes in one year. I still think he is a great hire there, but he needs more than a year to recruit a good QB, and do the scheme he does best. If he sticks it out there, I could see them becoming more of a threat than they previously have been. Ferentz is a huge family guy, and very polite, so I think that is why fans are so stuck on the guy, and they don't like change. Fry and Ferentz, only two coaches in over 3 decades if I remember right.

You can do this? I thought when your team loses you're supposed to go nuts on message boards saying that the head coach has lost the team, the OC is a joke, bash the starting QB, and say the whole season is lost and the team will be lucky to win 1 more game and won't make it to a bowl game. :sarcasm

Is there a list of overall Coaching staff budgets? I'd be interested in seeing that.

USA Today has a pretty good database of athletic dept financial numbers: LINK

But this is for the whole athletic dept. Not just football.

Thanks for the link. I will check that out, too.

I was curious to know how much certain programs spend on their assistants.

In Kirk Ferentz 14 seasons (including this season) Iowa has gone to 10 bowl games (2 BCS). He is 6-4 in bowl games with 4 Top 10 finishes (I’m pretty Hayden Fry only finished in the Top 10 once). While I don’t agree with what he makes a year, I don’t see how they are going to get anyone better.

My brother in law is a huge Hawkeye fan and according to him Ferentz is exactly want they want.

Us Husker fans will never understand that way of thinking.