B1G coach of the year...

Jmc9583

here's an excerpt from a poster that was nails (he sent this to the ESPN B1G writer) and a funny response:

" I'm wondering why Bo Pelini isn't getting heavy consideration for Big Ten COY. Nebraska currently sits at 9-2 (6-1), having faced the #3-rated schedule in America. They have a top-20 offense and defense nationally. NU's two losses are road losses to Pac-12 South champ UCLA (9-2) and undefeated Ohio St (11-0). NU has stayed the course after a humbling defeat in Columbus and instead of folding, has won 5 straight against some tough opponents. Their defense is a top-20 unit despite not really having any stars. Their offense is a top-20 unit despite starting most of the year with three walkons on their OL, and their best player/team leader sidelined (Burkhead) for most of the season. They have a first-time OC in his second year (Beck), first-time DC in his first year (Papuchis), and were predicted no higher than third in their own division before the season. It would seem to be a great coaching job thus far by Pelini and his young staff. Thoughts? "

response: " His response, "Pelini has no control over his team. They are undisciplined and when he yells at them he makes sure to make it personal. That is nothing a COY would ever do........I want to have sex with Urban Meyer, or at least s#&k @#$ $%). "

I read this on another board and wanted to show everyone here may not have read this.... Urban Meyer I'm sure will win it but I actually agree that pelini has a case.... Another thing to add is he may not have one first team all conference player and they may win the conference!

edited by mod: rawhide

^^^ This. and quite honestly, I don't have a problem with it. Considering what he inherited...he has done an amazing job.

or he's proven that it's not all that difficult to get 7 wins in a down year for the B1G. their only win of any 'quality' is northwestern. they've been beaten by Ohio (not Ohio State), a 4-7 Viginia team, and tOSU/Nebraska. They played a cupcake schedule, and are 0-3 against the only 3 in the top 30.

when you're Penn State, regardless of the situation and you start out w/ Ohio, Virginia, Navy, Temple, Illinois - you should be 4-1 or 5-0 without much effort. Throw in Iowa in their worst year in a decade, Indiana, and Purdue and all of a sudden 7 wins isn't that spectacular. I think I could coach that team to 6-7 wins, and save them a couple million a year in the process.

• Fire 1

In my opinion Pelini should finish 3rd in the voting for Big Ten Coach of the Year. Yes he should be considered for it but he should not win it. Urban Meyer took a 6-7 team and turned them into an undefeated team that is the best in the conference should win it. What Bill O’Brien has done at PSU when that team had every reason to fall apart and they haven’t should have him finishing 2nd.

Ohio State was 6-7 last year because of Fickell, not because they lacked talent. O'Brien lost Silas Redd and inherited a team in utter turmoil, with coaches from other programs trolling his campus for recruits. He stopped the bleeding and he turned that mess into a bowl-eligible team (whether they're allowed to go to a bowl or not). That easily trumps whatever Urban Meyer has done with Tressel's recruits.

• Fire 3

^^^ This. and quite honestly, I don't have a problem with it. Considering what he inherited...he has done an amazing job.

or he's proven that it's not all that difficult to get 7 wins in a down year for the B1G. their only win of any 'quality' is northwestern. they've been beaten by Ohio (not Ohio State), a 4-7 Viginia team, and tOSU/Nebraska. They played a cupcake schedule, and are 0-3 against the only 3 in the top 30.

when you're Penn State, regardless of the situation and you start out w/ Ohio, Virginia, Navy, Temple, Illinois - you should be 4-1 or 5-0 without much effort. Throw in Iowa in their worst year in a decade, Indiana, and Purdue and all of a sudden 7 wins isn't that spectacular. I think I could coach that team to 6-7 wins, and save them a couple million a year in the process.

just have to disagree. I am not a PSU apologist by any stretch...but like I said, what he inherited was dreadful. players leaving, program poachers and everything else...under any other circumstances, no, he wouldn't be in the conversation. But these circumstances are far from normal.

To be honest, I came into the year with very high regards for Fitzgerald, and after actually watching him in games a few times, I don't think he is as good as we all give him credit for. He does a good job with what he has, but I feel like he isn't the best in-game coach in the world. Bo is way ahead of him in that category.

To reply to the thread, there's no doubt in my mind that Urban will win B1G COY. He took a team that finished 6-7 last year and has taken them undefeated through 11 games. Bo definitely deserves honorable mention though.