Chatelain: Rex rises to the occasion

Good article about Rex.

Three months later, Callahan's successor offered a scholarship to Rex Burkhead.

Bo Pelini has made hundreds of decisions over the past five years, some good, some bad, some memorable, some meaningless. Targeting Burkhead may have been his best.

But Friday afternoon, on a bitterly cold afternoon on the plains, the reward for five years of painstaking reconstruction was in jeopardy. Lose to Iowa and suddenly Nebraska might not even make Indianapolis, let alone win its first conference championship since 1999.

Trailing 7-3 at halftime, Pelini needed a strong finish. To whom would he turn?

Rest of the article is here.

While it would've been nice to see Rex play the whole game yesterday, I'm kinda glad they saved him for the 2nd half. His performance reminded me of an amended version of the Iowa State game @ Ames in 2010 when he put the team on his back and won the game in OT with that 19 yd. TD run.

Rex vs. both Iowa teams:

vs. Iowa State (2010) = 20 carries, 129 yds., 2 TDs

vs. Iowa (2011) = 38 carries, 160 yds., 1 TD

vs. Iowa (2012) = 16 carries, 69 yds., 1 TD

Total = 74 carries, 358 yds., 4 TDs

I almost got emotional to see #22 back out there. I literally stood up in my living room and clapped my hands towards the young man. I knew he wasn't going to let us down and that's a big burden to carry. I hope he has a career day in the B1G Championship game and if we win it in the Rose Bowl. He deserves to go out like that and the program deserves it. #22 IS my favorite Husker of all time replacing #13 Zac Taylor...........

• Fire 1

I almost got emotional to see #22 back out there. I literally stood up in my living room and clapped my hands towards the young man. I knew he wasn't going to let us down and that's a big burden to carry. I hope he has a career day in the B1G Championship game and if we win it in the Rose Bowl. He deserves to go out like that and the program deserves it. #22 IS my favorite Husker of all time replacing #13 Zac Taylor...........

I stood up and clapped, too... my wife was in the other room going "Did we score??" Me: "Not yet..." chuckleshuffle