Mission Accomplished, Nebraska is Back, & Solich

TGHusker

Cry me a river. Most teams would kill for 10 wins.

Good for them. We aren't "most teams".

In what way? We appear very average these days.

Which is the crux of the OP's original post isn't it? We are an average team, and Husker fans are not satisfied at being average. People can cite the nine and 10 ten win stuff all day long, but the bottom line is we are not a team that is even remotely close to contending for the MNC, we were fortunant to contend for the title of weak conference, and then couldn't even finish that.

I certainly don't know the answer, and at this point am not calling for a head coaching change (mainly because I don't know who we would get), but I do have serious doubts that Bo can get us back to that elite level.

• Fire 1

5. Win games: Since the KSU road win we are 16-17 on the road or something similar. We appear to be on our way to another 4 loss season.

Which KSU road win? The 2008 one? We are 14-6 on the road since that game, if my counting skills hold true. Or are you lumping our CCGs and bowl games into the road games category? Because CCGs and bowl games aren't really like road games where you are playing on the other team's home field.

If you are looking at an earlier KSU road win, I'd point out that those games were under the previous coaching regime.

Which is the crux of the OP's original post isn't it? We are an average team, and Husker fans are not satisfied at being average. People can cite the nine and 10 ten win stuff all day long, but the bottom line is we are not a team that is even remotely close to contending for the MNC, we were fortunant to contend for the title of weak conference, and then couldn't even finish that.

I certainly don't know the answer, and at this point am not calling for a head coaching change (mainly because I don't know who we would get), but I do have serious doubts that Bo can get us back to that elite level.

The point of the OP is that we need to fire Bo, and he lists his reasons. Being average isn't a reason to fire a coach.

5. Win games: Since the KSU road win we are 16-17 on the road or something similar. We appear to be on our way to another 4 loss season.

Which KSU road win? The 2008 one? We are 14-6 on the road since that game, if my counting skills hold true. Or are you lumping our CCGs and bowl games into the road games category? Because CCGs and bowl games aren't really like road games where you are playing on the other team's home field.

If you are looking at an earlier KSU road win, I'd point out that those games were under the previous coaching regime.

Sorry it is 8-9 - I'll fix in the post.

confused.gif

• Fire 1

The point of the OP is that we need to fire Bo, and he lists his reasons. Being average isn't a reason to fire a coach.

I didn't read where he said he wanted Bo fired, quite possibly that was implied meaning(or I probably didn't read it close enough), I don't know. Being average may or may not be a valid reason to fire a coach, I guess that all stems from what the expectations are. If expectations are to compete at the top levels then average may not be enough to maintain a job, unless there is reason to believe that average is moving towards a higher level. Thats my issue, I just don't know if we are moving upwards, just when it seems we have taken a big step forward, we take two even bigger steps backwards.

I'm really lost as to what I think. At this point I see progress in areas, but so many of the same problems over and over again.

Agree, I have 0 faith Bo can adjust and get us over the hump. I want to have faith in Bo but I'm really having a hard time finding a reason to.

• Fire 1

Since KSU in 2009 (I presume that's the game we're talking about?) we've gone 10-9 in road games, and that counts neutral field games against Washington, South Carolina and Wisconsin.

The 8-9 thing was from an article. i read it this morning as well. one of sipple/mckewon discussing road-neutral games or something those lines. likely a statistic they twisted to form an argument of some sort.

This quote is the intent of my original post. This is my initial response and thoughts after the game and disappointment as a fan. I don't think it is time to fire Bo but it is time for Bo to make some big adjustments IMO. Frank got one more year after his 6-7 year and he made some coaching changes (our introduction to Bo being the most successful change that Frank made) My list, is a list that show where I think MY expectations have fallen short as a fan. If 9-10 wins - being average is a realistic expectation, then call me unrealistic. The basic issues of my post are true - we are still turn over prone, we are inconsistant, we aren't ready for the big games (and normally stink on national TV), and our D isn't very good (good against 2nd tier Os during our 6 game run but it was again exposed Sat night). Can we celebrate a 10 win season and 4 come from behind wins, YES - but I was hoping for more in year 5. By more I mean more that a CC - I mean consistant, disciplined play on both sides of the ball.

Getting "woodshedded" like Saturday brings out the fears of fans. And it should. THAT was ugly. My mother-in-law who doesn't watch football flipped by the score and told me it was ugly.

Bo should be going out recruiting with Coach Kaz and handing out blackshirts to any JUCO D-Lineman they find. Bo's defense is WAY to reliant on the front four holding up and when they don't, it gets ugly.

Second, Bo and Beck need to figure out a way for T-Mart to stop the turnovers. They KILL NU. T-Mart has improved. But, as my wife remarks constantly when T-Mart scores or gets knocked down -- his teammates don't exactly rush to his aid.

The defense was atrocious but the Offense HAS to stop the bleeding as well not drop the ball, fumble, and 3 and out.

2009 Road Games (4-1)

09/19 Virginia Tech Blacksburg L 15-16

10/08 #Missouri Columbia W 27-12

10/31 #Baylor Waco W 20-10

11/14 #Kansas Lawrence W 31-17

11/27 #Colorado Boulder W 28-20

2010 Road Games (4-1)

09/18 Washington Seattle W 56-21

10/02 #Kansas State Manhattan W 48-13

10/23 #Oklahoma State Stillwater W 51-41

11/06 #Iowa State Ames W 31-30 (OT)

11/20 #Texas A&M College Sta. L 6- 9

2011 Road Games (3-2)

09/24 Wyoming Laramie W 38-14

10/01 #Wisconsin Madison L 17-48

10/22 #Minnesota Minneapolis W 41-14

11/12 #Penn State State College W 17-14

11/19 #Michigan Ann Arbor L 17-45

2012 Road Games (3-2)

09/08 UCLA Pasadena L 30-36

10/06 #Ohio State Columbus L 38-63

10/20 #Northwestern Evanston W 29-28

11/03 #Michigan St. E. Lansing W 28-24

11/23 #Iowa Iowa City W 13- 7

Total since KSU road win in 2008: (14-6)

I'm not sure where you're getting 16-17 or 8-9.

/edit: I'm not trying to pick on you or be too nit-picky. I'm just trying to include the facts into this thread.

Since KSU in 2009 (I presume that's the game we're talking about?) we've gone 10-9 in road games, and that counts neutral field games against Washington, South Carolina and Wisconsin.

I should have verified Sam McKewon's statement if you are correct:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121202/HUSKERS/712029905

Bo must know — and if he doesn't, here's his notice — that Nebraska hasn't been a good road-neutral team since the 2010 Kansas State game. It has been a snowball perched on a peak, liable to roll either way.

In the 17 games away from home since beating KSU, Nebraska is 8-9. The Blackshirts are giving up an average of 30.3 points and 400 yards. The Huskers' turnover margin in those 17 games is minus-27, with 40 turnovers. That's 2.4 giveaways per game.