Psychology of giving up 70 points

here is my thought, and it was a big concern going into this game. the team had so much emphasis on winning out that i think they thought their jobs were done once that happened. also, wiscy had a lot to prove and improved dramatically from when we first played them. there is no excuse for that score, but we lost that chip on our shoulder and played a team with a huge one.

here is my thought, and it was a big concern going into this game. the team had so much emphasis on winning out that i think they thought their jobs were done once that happened. also, wiscy had a lot to prove and improved dramatically from when we first played them. there is no excuse for that score, but we lost that chip on our shoulder and played a team with a huge one.

I hope they used lube.

It's just not a well coached team. Wisconsin came out prepared to win the game because of coaching. Nebraska went the whole season without any attempt to address the obvious problems holding them back.

For f#*k's sake guys. This team can't even catch punts. Get your head out of the sand.

I see you have a monopoly on insight to the Huskers. We can't catch punts. Since you have your head out of the sand, how do you fix that?

We gave up 133 points in two games this year. How do you fix that?

We gave up 500 or more yards of offense in three different games. How do you fix that?

I'm open to suggestions. We can all just flail about in anger over this, and we're all angry. But just calling for changes gets nothing done, nor does berating other fans for not acting like the sky is falling.

Sorry you felt berated.

Do you have any suggestions, or are you back to the pithy one-liner mode?

It's just not a well coached team. Wisconsin came out prepared to win the game because of coaching. Nebraska went the whole season without any attempt to address the obvious problems holding them back.

For f#*k's sake guys. This team can't even catch punts. Get your head out of the sand.

I see you have a monopoly on insight to the Huskers. We can't catch punts. Since you have your head out of the sand, how do you fix that?

We gave up 133 points in two games this year. How do you fix that?

We gave up 500 or more yards of offense in three different games. How do you fix that?

I'm open to suggestions. We can all just flail about in anger over this, and we're all angry. But just calling for changes gets nothing done, nor does berating other fans for not acting like the sky is falling.

Sorry you felt berated.

Do you have any suggestions, or are you back to the pithy one-liner mode?

I don't have a suggestion for teaching a D1 football team how to field punts - let alone returning them. This is something that should have never been a problem in the first place, especially not all the way into the postseason. The jr. high and high school teams I played for didn't even have this problem. Neither did any of the teams we played. Not a single one. No other team I've ever watched at any level had this problem, at least not to this extent, or anywhere close. This is such a rare and logic-defying problem that it's virtually impossible to have any type of sane suggestion on how to fix it.

Suggestions for our defensive meltdowns? Santos is one suggestion. Corey Cooper is another. What happened to Harvey Jackson? What happened to all these stud linebackers we're supposed to have on the bench? They don't know the defense? They're not ready? I suggest getting them ready.

Also, sorry you felt berated.

Suggestions for our defensive meltdowns? Santos is one suggestion. Corey Cooper is another. What happened to Harvey Jackson? What happened to all these stud linebackers we're supposed to have on the bench? They don't know the defense? They're not ready? I suggest getting them ready.

Great, now we're having a conversation. Quips are nice, but they don't get a message board anywhere. :thumbs

When you say "Santos," what do you mean? You want him to play the whole year? Certain situations, and if so, which ones? Same goes for Corey Cooper, and Harvey Jackson. When you say, "Get them ready," how exactly should we do that?

Doesn't this amount to the backup quarterback routine? The guys on the bench are always better than the guys playing, that sort of thing?

At the moment, I don't have anything to add to the psychology of giving up 70 points, but I do have something to say regarding the psychology of letting your QB get piled-driven headfirst into the ground on one play and then NOT totally blowing up the opposing D the rest of the game. I don't know about you, but it didn't seem like our guys got fired up nearly as much as I expected. Maybe initially when Long and Turner mixed it up a bit, BUT I expected our guys to either blow them off the line b/c they were pissed that they did that to Martinez, or go after Borland to return the favor.

I know that's cheap to think such a thing. But dammit where was the "Richie Incognito" fire?! I was ready to jump through my TV to tear Borland a new one, and I didn't see any fire like that from our guys. In fact, I believe it was the very next play that they got after Martinez AGAIN, and the only thing that saved him from another bodyslam was the ref (finally) throwing a flag on what became a very bully-like Wiscy defense.

Kanpplc, I normally take what you have to say as pretty close to right, some different thoughts than mine, but similar in end results. You may think differently.

I would like a response to my post and your thoughts on why this program seems to hoard these players for their senior years. We have known for awhile our Oline and Dline are less than stellar, why if these young kids are so good, did they not see playing time this year to learn. I could not give a rats ass about burning a redshirt if it helps the team take steps forward..

tI would seem these young kids come in with fire and want to play instantly, maybe that added spark, but setting around watching players that they feel they are better than get pushed around all year long, wonder why and develop a less than winning attitude.

In ideal combat situations you want seasoned veterans, but with those you train the youngest, protected so to speak, you do not wait until the veterans are gone and throw the young to the wolves. That seems to be our idea or as it has played out. We never really develop what we need until we have a house full of them, IE running back.

Kanpplc, I normally take what you have to say as pretty close to right, some different thoughts than mine, but similar in end results. You may think differently.

I would like a response to my post and your thoughts on why this program seems to hoard these players for their senior years. We have known for awhile our Oline and Dline are less than stellar, why if these young kids are so good, did they not see playing time this year to learn. I could not give a rats ass about burning a redshirt if it helps the team take steps forward..

tI would seem these young kids come in with fire and want to play instantly, maybe that added spark, but setting around watching players that they feel they are better than get pushed around all year long, wonder why and develop a less than winning attitude.

In ideal combat situations you want seasoned veterans, but with those you train the youngest, protected so to speak, you do not wait until the veterans are gone and throw the young to the wolves. That seems to be our idea or as it has played out. We never really develop what we need until we have a house full of them, IE running back.

Which players have we hoarded? Fact is, we had some pretty underwhelming recruiting classes and the cupboard isn't chock full of players able to take over. Recruiting hype on this or that guy is nice, but there aren't a ton of guys that we're holding back on right now.

Eric Martin and PJ Smith are two guys I think should have been playing significant minutes in the past two years, but other guys either aren't that good or they're nursing injuries. This staff is horrible about keeping injuries secret, and we have several players who have been banged up for years but they never let on.

I want better players, too, and I want them playing now, too. But they aren't there, sad to say.